94 Mazda MX - 3 GS vs 97 Honda Prelude TypeS

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
MrMazda92
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Re: 94 Mazda MX - 3 GS vs 97 Honda Prelude TypeS

Post by MrMazda92 »

200 HP K8 would be fun... :love: It'd cost more than a KL swap, but it's definitely not impossible.

Whoever coined "No replacement for displacement" should swing from a rope. Bigger isn't always better, it just changes the game. If you weren't legally allowed to EVER swap engines beyond stock options, there would be multiple 200+ hp K8s, no turbo or N2O required. The fact is, there's a simpler/cheaper way to reach those numbers, so nobody really tried.
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Deleted: VAF/Power Steering/Air Conditioning/EGR/ABS/Auto Seatbelts/etc
iRobsta
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by iRobsta »

MrMazda92 wrote:200 HP K8 would be fun... :love: It'd cost more than a KL swap, but it's definitely not impossible.

Whoever coined "No replacement for displacement" should swing from a rope. Bigger isn't always better, it just changes the game. If you weren't legally allowed to EVER swap engines beyond stock options, there would be multiple 200+ hp K8s, no turbo or N2O required. The fact is, there's a simpler/cheaper way to reach those numbers, so nobody really tried.
What do you mean simpler way to reach those numbers that no bondy has tried, cranking the k8 to 200+ hp?

On a side note, what do you guys say to your insurance about swapping engines? Mine isn't the most lineant (bel air direct).
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

My meaning was, 200 HP will be simplest(and cheapest) attained by swapping the engine. It's POSSIBLE with a K8, but it will cost money, as well as time.
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

It would cost no more than a turbo kit. N/A would take thousands, Turbo would cost about as much as most pay for their ZE's... assuming you build the kit yourself. there are a couple of guys who have turbo'd the K8 that I know of and probably somewhere in the 200 whp range I would say if not more. But from what I remember they kept blowing motors, but a lot of that has to do with poor tuning.
mikeinaus

Post by mikeinaus »

the simple fact is to get any kind of modest NA power from the k8, you need to rip it apart and build it from the ground up. no one i know have has done this as its expensive + the gains are minimal compared to a cheap de/ze swap. simply throwing a chip on the k8 or even a custom tune wont yield you much of an improvement. this topic is dumb. you clearly can barely drive and you want to race your friend who can barely drive, in an illegal way. dont swap the engine, keep the car stock and learn to drive, then look into autox in the future when your ready. there is massive amounts of information on this site about how to go faster, search for it.
BornSticky

Post by BornSticky »

the prelude has 195 hp and 156 ft lbs torque and from wheat it sounds like it s--- bagged
ze has 199 hp and 168 ft lbs of torque - about 500 lbs of weight a ze would kick its a--! just make sure its the right ze cause there is another one curve neck whick is only 168 hp i beleive which i think would still keep up with the lude

+1 don't race your clutch and gear box doesn't deserve it or the person you rear end and kill on the highway
92 Mazda MX-3 KL-ZE Curve Neck, Probinator ECU, Full 2.5" exhaust with headers, cai, performance radiator, millenia alternator, 5spd, excedy stage 2 clutch, MTX 12" sub sony explod D series 600w amp, pioneer 260w deck, kyb on dropzone springs, HEI mod.
92 Mazda RX-7 (efini) FD3S urethane motor mount, Air intake, 18" Chrome rims besides that stock. SOLD!
93 Mazda MX-3 GS laguna blue full exhaust, cai, kyb shocks R.I.P. stupid jeep driver!
#5389 to join MX-3.com
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

Josh wrote:It would cost no more than a turbo kit.
Well yeah, but displacement means a lot less when you're going FI. :lol:
Daily:

Kid Hauler:

First Love:
Juans_93_MX3

Post by Juans_93_MX3 »

Before you even think of a KLZE swap, make sure you MX3 is safe.

Have the inner/outer tie-rods checked. Aswell as the outer ball joints, engine mounts and CV axels. Make sure you can get alignments, that your tires are good and that nothing is shaking like crazy when going +75mph

Than when you start thinking of a KLZE, you might want to get some extra money to replace the water pump, belt, piston rings, head gaskets, head bolts, valve cover gaskets.
Bascially, you want to do the swap right and make sure your getting good compression and very minimal oil loss.

Aftermarket exhausts can be a pain because the headers dont align with the EGR well. You may have to have a custom pipe made for that.
2008 Mazda 3
1993 MX3 GS
KLZE, Fidanza flywheel, KL31 CAMs, South Bend Stage I Clutch, Pacesetter STS, SS AutoChromes, Magnaflow muffler, 2.25' Exhaust, CAI, Blaster Coil HEI, KLDE Valvetrain, 5 Speed Swap

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”