Manual transmission for the V6

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Jazzylay20
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Manual transmission for the V6

Post by Jazzylay20 »

Ok well i have only had my Mx-3 for a month now and am in the process of replacing the clutch. well i removed the tranny and cleaned it, replaced the clutch and put it all back on. But on installation one of the upper transmission bolts broke during torquing. I was torquing it to 56 ft. lbs and it snapped. do i need to replace it or do you think it will be fine to drive for a while with it like that?
jbud1291

Re: Manual transmission for the V6

Post by jbud1291 »

I wouldnt feel comfortable driving my car if a bolt on my tranny was missing. Im no expert but I feel a bolt being loose let alone not even being there on the transmission could lead to some serious problems. The bolt cant be that much money at all...i would get a new bolt just for peace of mind
93 GS SE - Raspberry metallic. K8 - 2 1/4in exhaust w/Magnaflow street series muffler, Custom intake, Kyb Gr2's w/Apex springs, Full kenwood audio - SOLD
Jazzylay20

Post by Jazzylay20 »

Its not the cost that's the bother its the fact I have to try and get a stubborn bolt out of a difficult area.
Pritchett

Post by Pritchett »

Don't base your desicion on this, but I'm currently running my ZE with only 1 bolt on the passenger side motor mount and I'm missing a bolt for the tranny mount, where it connects to the frame not from the tranny to the mount. 1800 km's and it's holding just fine, goodluck!!
93 mx-3 GS (KLZE w/kl01 cams, XTD stage 3 clutch, Outlaw intake/throttle body spacers, throttle body coolant delete, headers, full 2.5" exhaust w/resonator and 40 series flowmaster, filled engine mounts)
99 silverado
RX8SE3P

Post by RX8SE3P »

1 single bolt probably won't make a massive difference. But... if you drive hard, don't be surprised if stuff breaks.
1995 Eunos 30x KLZE
Worklog
jbud1291

Post by jbud1291 »

Yes it probably will be a major pain in the a-- to get it out but like I said just for peace of mind I would get it fixed...do it right the first time and you wont have to worry about it in the long run
93 GS SE - Raspberry metallic. K8 - 2 1/4in exhaust w/Magnaflow street series muffler, Custom intake, Kyb Gr2's w/Apex springs, Full kenwood audio - SOLD
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

I stripped one of the top bolts on my engine when doing my ZE swap over two years ago. Rather than pull the engine again and retap the bolt hole I decided to leave it. No issues.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
davmac

Post by davmac »

^ I'm with him. If this is one bolt holding engine and transmission bell housing together - and all the others are there, tight and no gaps between then no worries.

This isn't a bolt that mounts the transmission or engine to frame, right?
Proud owner of a Faded Red 92 MX-3 GS

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”