Transmisison match question

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
MrSomebody
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Transmisison match question

Post by MrSomebody »

The thing is, my old engine (1.8v6) just died (started ticking noise above 1500rpm and ticking/clunking noise got worse when going for higher rpm).
When took it apart(removed valve cover and oil pan, found a lot of metallic dust (bronze and aliminium).
Took the car to mechanic, he said that rocker arms are done and a lot of internal damage(I change my oil as manual said, never put bad oil in).
The thing is- I have availabile engine from mazda 323( 2.0v6). Can I just swap it with my current 1.8v6 manual transmission ,or I need to look for another transmission? Also- will the current 1.8v6 ECU will work with this 2.0v6 engine? Mechanic said that everything will be o.k, but I prefer checking this question with you guys,since I have no experience with engine swaps at all.
By the way, my mx-3 is 1991 year, engine was from mx-3 1992, but this 2.0v6 is from 1997 323. Will the wiring fit? I have OBD wiring and I'm afraid that 1997 have OBD 2 wiring. Anyone have any info?
Ryan

Re: Transmisison match question

Post by Ryan »

.... exactly 0 323's came with a 2L v6.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

UK only 323F BA V6. 2.0L KF engine. That is the car from which the magical spindles are sourced for the Subaru/Millenia 2 piston brake swap.

To answer your question, no it's not a direct swap. I am sure it has been done, but the wire harness will be significantly different. The BA chassis is OBD2 and your 91' is OBD1 so you're right the ECU will not work.

Search the worklogs for references to the KF and you might find someone who's done it. I don't know much about the KF myself.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Pritchett

Post by Pritchett »

1991 mx-3??? pretty sure they only came out in 92. Which would explain why your motor is a 92. Rocker arms? I don't believe our engines have those, unless your referring to connecting rods?

To make your life a whole lot easier I'd recommend swapping in another 1.8L DE or ZE, or a 2.5L DE or ZE. Wiring harness are exactly the same for all motors to my knowledge and its a direct bolt in swap. 2.5L's can be sourced from a multitude of cars for example

Ford Probe GT
MX-6
626 has KL-DE and KLG4(1998+) engines depending of the year of the car
Millenia
Then there is importers that will sell jap mx6 engines (straight neck) and eunos 800 (curved neck) both produce the same hp but the torque curves are different

Hope this info helps
93 mx-3 GS (KLZE w/kl01 cams, XTD stage 3 clutch, Outlaw intake/throttle body spacers, throttle body coolant delete, headers, full 2.5" exhaust w/resonator and 40 series flowmaster, filled engine mounts)
99 silverado
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

He's probably looking at the date of manufacture in the door sill. Many cars are actually manufactured in the fall of the previous year.

As for swapping in the 2.0L...regardless of how cheap you are getting the engine, it's probably going to be a huge hassle to do the swap. A DE or ZE will just be so much easier it's worth the extra expense.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

wytbishop wrote:As for swapping in the 2.0L...regardless of how cheap you are getting the engine, it's probably going to be a huge hassle to do the swap. A DE or ZE will just be so much easier it's worth the extra expense.
What do you mean, he's got a K8, the 323 had a KF, easy swap, but I agree with going KL
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

I just mean swapping harnesses and shyte is not worth the trouble is all. Well I wouldn't want to do it anyway. If you're into that sort of thing then go for it.
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

To directly answer your question,

The KF (2.0) will bolt onto your MX-3 GS transmission.

The wiring should work enough that it will run. To get it going, use the stock MX-3 harness, distributor, airflow meter, and ECU.

You'll need to KF ECU to pass emissions and get proper milage. I don't know what, if any, extra wiring is involved in the KF, but I imagine disty pinout and maybe airflow meter may be different. No KF's came in North America, so I'm inexperienced there. I'm sure you could search and find it, although it is not very popular.. you'll find a lot of this "swap KL instead" stuff.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

Well the 323F is OBD2 so his OBD1 harness won't plug into the KF ECU. He'd have to swap the harness I believe.

It's totally doable. I think I saw a thread currently on the board from someone looking for help with their KF install. Maybe that guy could point you int he right diretion for doing the swap.
My Worklog
My feedback thread
MrSomebody

Post by MrSomebody »

The more I search, the more ''do KL swap'' i get. But still, if I get KL, it will have OBD2 wiring, so wiring part won't drop out.
But I doubt the standart MX transmission will handle all KL torque well (as well as rest of suspension).
WhiteFinish

Post by WhiteFinish »

There are 323f v6 throughout europe. Not only UK.

And my car is from '91 as well. They have been sold since sept 91.

But I wouldn't recommend the KF swap; there are a few people in the netherlands (2) who have tried.
It ran, but never ran in a good way.
Just another Mx3 freak :)

Feedback topic: Click

Worklog
Worklog click
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

MrSomebody wrote:The more I search, the more ''do KL swap'' i get. But still, if I get KL, it will have OBD2 wiring, so wiring part won't drop out.
But I doubt the standart MX transmission will handle all KL torque well (as well as rest of suspension).
The engine doesn't care if it's OBD2 or OBD1. It's the sensors that are the problem. The KF needs a KF ECU that's why you would have to change the wire harness. Any KL will drop right in with your stock MX-3 VAF and distributor and an OBD1 KL ECU.

As for the tranny...we all run the stock tranny for the most part. the Probe uses the exact same tranny with the DE engine. You don't have to worry about the tranny until you get well above 200hp.

Stock suspension is fine as well. It won't handle any worse for the added power of a KL. The K8, DE and ZE are all essentially exactly the same in size and weight. DE is about 40hp more, ZE is about 70hp more. Neither is enough to upset the suspension. It's still a good idea to upgrade the suspension a bit, but not because of the engine.
My Worklog
My feedback thread
MrSomebody

Post by MrSomebody »

wytbishop wrote: The engine doesn't care if it's OBD2 or OBD1. It's the sensors that are the problem. The KF needs a KF ECU that's why you would have to change the wire harness. Any KL will drop right in with your stock MX-3 VAF and distributor and an OBD1 KL ECU.
So even if engine was in 95' probe, with obd2 ,I could just hook it up with my current obd1 wiring+stock VAF+stock ECU, untill I can get my hands on OBD2 wiring loom and KL VAF and KF ECU?Sorry for dumb qustions,but i'm trying to get facts straight. I'm only few days away from purchasing KL-DE from that 95'probe and starting this swap, so I want to get all info availabile before I start. I prefer being prepared sooner, then be sorry later :)
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

The engine is a mechanical device. Things turn, valves open and close...yada yada yada. The engine is neither OBD1 nor OBD2...it's a hunk of steel.

The ECU, sensors, distributor etc. that control it are either OBD1 or 2. So if you take a DE from a probe and put your OBD1 distributor and sensors on it, it will run with your stock OBD1 ECU.
My Worklog
My feedback thread
MrSomebody

Post by MrSomebody »

wytbishop wrote:The engine is a mechanical device. Things turn, valves open and close...yada yada yada. The engine is neither OBD1 nor OBD2...it's a hunk of steel.

The ECU, sensors, distributor etc. that control it are either OBD1 or 2. So if you take a DE from a probe and put your OBD1 distributor and sensors on it, it will run with your stock OBD1 ECU.
Just making sure I understand everything correctly :) . Big thanks for your answer!

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”