Easiest 2.5 swap

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
dang10010
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Easiest 2.5 swap

Post by dang10010 »

From what I have read on here, a swap from a 92-93 Probe or a 91-93 MX6 is the easiest swap to do. I would need the engine, the ECU and the air thing AIF(?) I know there are other things I would want to upgrade like the exhaust etc but I like the fact that all of the sensors and wires are a direct bolt in. My goal is to find one in the junkyard with clean oil on the dipstick and a car that was totaled. I will probably go ahead and change the timing belt, water pump and change all of the gaskets too. I might even take the heads off and do a little porting of the heads too and put in thinner head gaskets to bump the compression a bit.
wytbishop

Re: Easiest 2.5 swap

Post by wytbishop »

There's sort of an ongoing debate. Some people think it's best to get a cheap junkyard KLDE as you suggest. The price is good, it's a direct bolt in and 40hp increase.

There are others...myself among them, who disagree. I would much rather spend a bit more to get a KLZE from a respected engine importer which bolts in exactly the same, has a lesser chance of being total shyte and will net you 70hp increase over stock.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Your years are wrong, its a 93+MX6 And Probe and 626 and 95+ Millenia.

The 88-92 MX6 Didn't have a v6, and the one in the same generation Probe used an incompatible an aniemic 3.0l vulcan v6.

Don't forget you'll need a clutch. Your oem clutch is only designed to handle 115ftlbs and is worn, the 2.5 will make 165ftlbs
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

I totally agree with wytbishop like, for a few more dollars you get a much lower mileage and more powerful motor you know. You could totally do it the way your talking like for sure but if you do decide to go KLZE remember to source out a KL31 or Kl36 ECU as well right. :D
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

KLDE, Jap KLZE, Milli 2.5, are all equally 'easy' to swap. There's no real brain busters in any of them. Its basically up to how much you want to spend and how much you want out of it.

A KLDE doesn't fall on its face in front of a ZE, it just tires out up top a little.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
wertys

Post by wertys »

Its actually funny seeing i spent 3 weekends doing ym ZE swap. I NEVER even thought it'd be that easy seeing i did it all myself. Take a lot of pictures if your memory is bad like i did and really, its easy.
wagZE

Post by wagZE »

Cheapest route is
KL-DE engine preferably from an automatic car at the wrecker. Find a car where the body is f'd so you know the engine is good. Buy the engine, air flow sensor & ecu. MAKE SURE THE ECU IS 93-95 that is OBD1 (if you're car is 92-95).
Should cost you under $250 for it all if you have a wrecker where you can pull your own parts.
Thats the best route, use your flywheel & you can snag an exedy clutch off ebay for $100.
Then its just fluids...
You can do the swap for under $400 with a new clutch.

And yea a KLZE does make more power (pretty much just after 5.5k ish rpm) they are a crapshoot you never know how they were treated & how long they have been sitting (maybe ten years) without oil in them drying out all the seals etc...
Its a decent argument, I guess the most ideal option is get a klze & recondition it & of course yea buy a KL36 ecu for at least a couple hundred bucks & use your stock air flow sensor.
If you get a j/y klde you can look for one that somebody did maintanence on (valve cover gaskets are usually a dead giveaway) you can even take the oil cap off & see if its still bronzy looking in the engine or if they went too long on oil changes & there is burned black sludge in there.
Anyway difficulty-wise they are all going to be the same, I guess the US spec millenia is harder cuz you have to swap water jacket output pipe. Just small stuff really, either way the vacuum lines will be different on them all.
If emissions is an issue & you need a functioning egr be careful getting a klze because you may have emission problems depending on how you install it.
1 mx6 88 LX auto 2.2l 4cyl
2 mx6 93 LS saved from junkyard SOLD
3 Mx6 96 M edition blow a ze part it
4 Mx6 96 gold LS paint n lights auto SOLD
5 mx6 red fresh paint clean, sold
1 mx3 92rs sohc auto rota c8s h&r
2 mx3 93 gsze bought w/ mods
3 mx3 93 GSze mtx swp act stg3 str8 nek im eibach kl36
4 mx3 GS SOLD-
6 mx3 white gs jdm swap'd SOLD
*5th mx3 blk GS clean title modded DD*
1 PGT 97 blk, garaged clean sold
2 pgt primered 5 spd KL SOLD
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

Do the stock DE manifolds line up with the MX-3 Y-pipe?

I'm pretty sure they wouldn't...point being no matter what engine you install you'll either have to redo the exhaust or use the K8 exhaust manifolds and reuse your stock exhaust system which will rob significant power.

Best bang for buck IMHO...

KLZE curved neck engine...do your best to ensure you get a good one...$600-800ish
Exedy clutch...$100-130
Used Probinator ECU <$100 if you can find one. More if you have to buy a JDM ECU
Exhaust...mine was aobut $500 but I went the deluxe route. You could do it for $250.

When I did mine I did everything. New motor mounts, timing set, water pump, oil pump, belts hoses, plugs, exhaust,...everything and it cost me a lot. You don't need to do all that, but I personnally don't think you can really do a good engine swap for $500. You're just asking for trouble down the road. It'll cost you more in the long run.

I haven't spend a dime on my engine except for oil changes since I did my swap.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
My Worklog
My feedback thread
wagZE

Post by wagZE »

Stock DE manifolds do bolt up.
If you get a millenia engine you have higher compression & ZE heads. You can add (if you want a little more power) colt cams ($350+) or klze cams for $150ish

Its kind of like this wyt. AS I SEE IT*
What is better at this point higher mileage 120kish a feasible find , on a motor that has been driven & had oil moving around in it.
OR an imported JDM engine that may have been sitting dry of oil for 5-10 years (big turnoff) & thrown around on a boat & transporting containers etc... I have blown plenty of klze's over the years but I have had the most luck with junkyard motors over imported engines. I have spun way too many bearings on klze's. Look on probetalk people fry klze's all the time.
They are the most power but honestly there is no gaurantees anymore. If you are going klze IMHO I think reconditioning from the bottom up would be your best bet.
Its your car & you can choose really to go cheaper or to go all out.
I will add this though, Alot of pull it yourself wreckers offer an additional 1 year warranty for a small fee. Typically JDM importers will only offer a start up or 30 day warranty sometimes no warranty (& forget about cashing in on a warranty with some of the sketchy importers out there; recommend read some reviews before buying from them you'll see)
I could go on & on about the comparisons...
Ohh yea you are right about the $500 mark I guess a timing belt kit & water pump may put you over $500 on a junkyard KL swap.
4 mx3 GS SOLD-
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

IIRC the rear manifold is different, the bolt pattern for y pipe flange is indexed slightly different. same diameter and geometry etc as Mx-3, so just use a matching manifold/y pipe combo. Also DE y pipe is about 6" longer than stock MX one.

Or, $150 -> Egay headers.

I drove my KL with K8 exhaust on it, the ebay headers and 2.5 basically straght thru did make a noticeable difference over 5000 rpm.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
MrMazda92
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Post by MrMazda92 »

For what it's worth, my '93 has a Milli KL and a stock K8 exhaust. Pulls as hard as the only other KL car I've driven, which was a 99(iirc) KLG4 626, up until the higher RPMs. You certainly won't complain about the low end with a K8 exhaust on. :lol:
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Deleted: VAF/Power Steering/Air Conditioning/EGR/ABS/Auto Seatbelts/etc
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

Truth is your budget makes a lot of decisions for you. Do the best you can with what you have to work with.
My Worklog
My feedback thread
MrMazda92
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Post by MrMazda92 »

My budget made me wait 2 years, and I'm still waiting. :lol: I set a $5,000 budget for intake/engine/exhaust build... I'm only about $800 into it, and have a looong ways to go.
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Deleted: VAF/Power Steering/Air Conditioning/EGR/ABS/Auto Seatbelts/etc
wagZE

Post by wagZE »

That is a $125 junkyard motor:

This is a $900 jdm klze:

*note that this is a picture of how the engine came to me straight from an importer
4 mx3 GS SOLD-
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

yep, if you have the time and a little know how then you can definitely make a more informed decision if you know what you are looking at. glad my KL doesn't look like that inside...

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”