Buyer's Remorse???

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
im2bad4ya

Buyer's Remorse???

Post by im2bad4ya »

Remember kids, just cause it's a Mazda, doesn't mean you should get it! :confused2:

I'm enjoying my new Mazdaspeed Protege, don't get me wrong. Just wish I had done a lot more research. The engine they use is the FS-DE which as I'm coming to find out is a lemon on arrival, just a matter of time before mine blows to smithereenies (and it doesn't matter if I drive it hard or baby it, this engine sucks!) On the upside, a KLZE will swap into the engine bay, so there's always that option if (or should i say WHEN) the FSDE fails, still researching to see if a BP will also drop in or if it needs modification. I've also seen in my research that the LSD's are prone to breaking apart, and it'll be a matter of time before I have to get that replaced too. Makes me miss my litte BP that could. :crying:

-1992 MX-3 RS w/BP Swap Tropical Emerald Metallic "Lucky" 2005-2012 *REST IN PIECES*
Worklog: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=78176

-2003.5 MAZDASPEED Protege #882 Blazing Yellow Mica "Lemon Drop" 2012-2015 SOLD!

-2003 MAZDASPEED Protege #1186 Spicy Orange "Debbie" 2014-2015 SOLD!

-1980 Toyota Corolla Green 2014-present

-2002 Lexus IS 300 Solar Yellow 2015-present
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: Buyer's Remorse???

Post by Ryan »

FS motors are s---! coulda told you that :)
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

My friend, you have to learn to live in the moment. All that matters is now, the past is dust and the future has yet to be written. Yours could be a Wednesday car when the workers weren't high on dope or concentrating on the weekend to comes partying. Enjoy your car and if you hear some tell tale knock or grinding simply sell the car off to some unsuspecting schmuck. May the force be with you and with your DE. :D
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
im2bad4ya

Post by im2bad4ya »

Thanks for the kind words Dan! :lol: Everything else is pretty sound tho, from the body to the suspension, exhaust, brakes, (and I'm not saying my engine is bad NOW, it's fine) .......only $6K, it'll be worth it though if it lasts me 3 years, not 3 months :mrgreen:

-1992 MX-3 RS w/BP Swap Tropical Emerald Metallic "Lucky" 2005-2012 *REST IN PIECES*

-2003.5 MAZDASPEED Protege #882 Blazing Yellow Mica "Lemon Drop" 2012-2015 SOLD!

Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

seeing as though a ZE fits with little issues you know a FE DOHC will fit in too :) just sayin

in 07' mazda released an updated LSD that is welded vs riveted together. it is supposed to be much better. It is the same one I am going to put in my GS. They also released updated syncros.

A BP will fit, but as far as motor mounts go there may not be a direct "bolt in" option for it.
im2bad4ya

Post by im2bad4ya »

Josh wrote:A BP will fit, but as far as motor mounts go there may not be a direct "bolt in" option for it.
YUP! you're on the money, BP will 'work', but it's not plug and play. I dunno about getting an FE DOHC....when I can have a KLZE!!! :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

There's actually like 3 places in my area, one 10 minutes away, the other two 20 minutes away that sells JDM engines, and they have KLZEs in stock, I could put them in a bidding war to lower the price :twisted:

Of course I'm being WAAAAAAY premature about all this. I'm just being a worry wart. MFactory makes a good LSD as a replacement, Quaife makes an even better one, but at $1300 compared to the $700 price tag of the MFactory, that'll be my best bet (as I don't plan on racing or anything, and it's better than stock regardless, welded I believe).

And I know, for the price of that LSD, I could get a BPT, but who knows, if I don't sell the MX3 soon, there's a chance I could always get it fixed and running again. At least I have the MSP to get me around til the end of the school semester now. :driver: BTW, are all KLZEs OBD2? Was wondering if it was OBD1 how you would do that type of swap.

FTW, this is a dedicated thread on the 247 forums of MSP owners with broken LSD's and at what mileage (scroll towards the bottom) .... http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthre ... IST/page35 ......any day now, just waiting to join this list (now you can see why I titled THIS thread 'buyer's remorse' :? Also gotta upgrade the motor mounts, they're notoriously crappy, I plan on getting AWR mounts at 70 duro...........GOSH I MISS THE MX!!

Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

No 98 and up came in OBDII you can get OBDII ecu's I would think they would be plug n play but I dont know that for sure. I believe there is a KLK1 that is an OBDII and there is another but do not remember the code.
kulluminati777

Post by kulluminati777 »

MSP are pretty sweet and a little underated but i have read that the stock tune is s---..a few bolt ons and a good tune im sure you will change your MSP review...
View my worklog: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=77688
im2bad4ya

Post by im2bad4ya »

Yeah, you're right. I've been doing more research, and it's kinda split. If you keep it stock, it works pretty well, it's when you try to get more boost without forging and changing the engine internals that you get into trouble. Stock ecu is s---, even after Mazda offered to flash the ECU's for better performance, everyone suggests I get standalone ECU management. But MSP's are nothing more than a regular Protege with a turbo thrown on it (when it comes to the drivetrain of course). Nothing on the drivetrain was changed, not even better motor mounts, which I've checked and found out the passenger and driver sides are busted on mine (common with these cars). So there won't be any ZOOM ZOOM take offs til I get those replaced. It's like what the Dodge Neon SRT-4 got right, the MSP got wrong and vice-versa. (MSP=GERAT suspension, brakes, interior, stereo - NeonSRT4=Great engine, exhaust)

Even when I try to open it up, I'm like Fry from Futurama all "Can't tell if turbo lag......or crappy ECU" But when you're in a spirited car, you tend to go for a spirited drive. I always loved accelerating while taking turns in the MX, but it's "recommend" I don't do that with the MSP because it puts too much load on the LSD, leading to early failure. It's just not fair, it's like someone made the car and gave me a rule book of what's NOT allowed. I should just be able to hop in and take off, but with the right upgrades and parts, I'll hopefully be able to put those restrictions behind me. :love:

Otherwise, I'm having super happy wishy wishy fun time in this car. :driver: It makes me wish I could have brought my MX-3 to the level of the MSP....AND I WAS SO CLOSE! :crying:

kulluminati777

Post by kulluminati777 »

:lol: :lol: dont forget the sweet body kit

yeah because it was the first "collaboration" between mazda and mazdaspeed i think alot didnt happend that should have (i bet cost had alot to do with it) in all honesty it boggles my brain why they made a MSP instead of mazdaspeed tuned versions of there sports coupes they had in the 90's like maybe a mazdaspeed MX-6 or 3 but im sure alot of it had to do with the "fast and furious" fad that happened thats why the MSP and SRT4 even saw the light of day, to include other cars "factory tuned" but there next try with the 3 and 6 went well...and im sure you will LOVE your car after the upgrades start :welder: :welder:
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

I had come across a wrecked MSP in like 03' before my AWD swap and thought about swapping the entire drivetrain into the MX with the MP5 replica front and USDM sides and painting the MX the MSP orange. .. went back to the wrecker a couple of days later to purchase it and the entire car had been sold :( oh what could have been.

In like 07' there was new upgraded syncros set and an upgraded LSD unit for the MSP. I will be using the MSP LSD in my mx, so much cheaper than others out there.
kulluminati777

Post by kulluminati777 »

Josh wrote:I had come across a wrecked MSP in like 03' before my AWD swap and thought about swapping the entire drivetrain into the MX with the MP5 replica front and USDM sides and painting the MX the MSP orange. .. went back to the wrecker a couple of days later to purchase it and the entire car had been sold :( oh what could have been.

In like 07' there was new upgraded syncros set and an upgraded LSD unit for the MSP. I will be using the MSP LSD in my mx, so much cheaper than others out there.
i wanted to get that LSD as well but unless you know tranmissions it seems like a PITA to install
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

kulluminati777 wrote:
Josh wrote:I had come across a wrecked MSP in like 03' before my AWD swap and thought about swapping the entire drivetrain into the MX with the MP5 replica front and USDM sides and painting the MX the MSP orange. .. went back to the wrecker a couple of days later to purchase it and the entire car had been sold :( oh what could have been.

i wanted to get that LSD as well but unless you know tranmissions it seems like a PITA to install
Easy as Pie, a little grinding in one spot and its in
wagZE

Post by wagZE »

There is a KLN8 ECU on ebay for a low price of $150, klze's in obd2 must have less demand because the obd1 klze ECUs are rediculously expensive. I have seen a few of those 03.5 protege's with klze's. Honestly I would love to see how one of those compares to other 4 doors like srt8 & evo & sti etc...
1 mx6 88 LX auto 2.2l 4cyl
2 mx6 93 LS saved from junkyard SOLD
3 Mx6 96 M edition blow a ze part it
4 Mx6 96 gold LS paint n lights auto SOLD
5 mx6 red fresh paint clean, sold
1 mx3 92rs sohc auto rota c8s h&r
2 mx3 93 gsze bought w/ mods
3 mx3 93 GSze mtx swp act stg3 str8 nek im eibach kl36
4 mx3 GS SOLD-
6 mx3 white gs jdm swap'd SOLD
*5th mx3 blk GS clean title modded DD*
1 PGT 97 blk, garaged clean sold