Vecia's 1994 MX-3: UPDATE - 8/06/12 New Picture!

In this section, Users can post worklogs for their vehicle and show users their projects. (MX-3 ONLY!). Please create only ONE topic when starting a project, and DO NOT create 2 worklogs for the same vehicle, even though they are different projects. READ THE STICKY!
MrMazda92
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Re: Vecia's 1994 MX-3: UPDATE - Still Having Idle Issues...

Post by MrMazda92 »

Damn. If the car warms up to a 900+ idle, and the throttle screw is all the way down, my money's on the butterfly stop. Try to adjust it down a little more, even 1/2 of a turn on that sucker can yield a 100+ RPM difference.

You literally want it so it BARELY has a gap between the butterfly and the TB. This is the #1 reason I like to remove it to adjust, you want to see the tiniest sliver of daylight when holding the TB up in front of a bright light. I remember messing with the TPS for hours, before realizing this myself. I removed the TB probably 4 times that day. :lol:
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Deleted: VAF/Power Steering/Air Conditioning/EGR/ABS/Auto Seatbelts/etc
Vecia
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Vecia »

Yup, that was it!

Adjusted it just a hair and that fixed my idle problem. However, I'm still getting a slight surge in my idle when I apply the brake when coming up to a light. Pretty sure it's the one way check valve in the hose from my booster to the intake plenum. I removed the hose and put on a standard temp rated hose and there was no change at all. Therefore the valve must have failed. Replacing that today. Will update later this afternoon. Thanks guys.
Vecia

Post by Vecia »

Okay, so cut the brake booster hose open and pulled out that little bullet check valve and the thing works. Turned out to be the hose. Found several weather cracks hidden under the rubber heat shield. I don't really have enough time the rest of this week to get it taken care of as I start my awesome new job tomorrow full time. One thing at the top of the list though is another trip to the wreckers. There is a 95 RS with a 1.6 DOHC up there. It's pretty freaking complete. Plan on getting another Valve cover to hack up as well as a lot of trim pieces that are jacked up in mine.

More news on the tons of things I'm learning via trial and error;

So, the 3/4 MDF for my stereo system set up... pics in the previous pages... yeah... bad idea.

The weight caused my camber in the rear to butterfly out and now the inside of my tires are freaking close to bald. The bad thing is that I didn't know this was happening because I have been so focused on the engine and I have already rotated several times since the system install. Needless to say, all four are the same way and I found this out after my last rotation because I'm getting a hellified low whistle from the front right side. After hearing it, I checked the wheels and that's when I saw it.

At any rate, I proceeded to rip out all of the MDF before any more damage could be done. Damage also included the two back struts being blown, rear bushings nearly non existent and the number one cause of my exhaust having a hole in it from a few weeks before. (Already fixed)

I already had some extra perches for the ZX2 set-up so this isn't going to stop me from proceeding with the exhaust upgrade first. The absolute best news out of all of this is that my new job is an incredible advance for me in my career so I'm hoping in a month or so, I will be able to start looking at a newer Mazda for a DD and my number one girl will be garaged and I can focus on really taking care of her. It's so funny... I never in a million years would have guessed that I would fall so head over heels in love with this car even with as much drama as I have had from her lately. Most importantly, I am so thankful for MX-3.com. You guys have made even the headaches nothing short of learning experiences and made those head banging problems almost fun to work through. I guess it could be close to what an engineer experiences when he figures out new ways to accomplish new ideas. I'm nowhere near that smart but I'm sure that feeling of satisfaction and gratification in succeeding in what you set out to do is pretty close.

Thanks again, guys for your input and suggestions.
MrMazda92
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Post by MrMazda92 »

Awesome! Good to see you got the idle stuff down! That's always a relief, since it'll bother you every second you're in the car if it is even slightly off. Idle, bleh. :lol:

Good to hear about the job too! Sounds like you're in a good place now! What newer model are you looking into by any chance?? Some good choices out there!
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Deleted: VAF/Power Steering/Air Conditioning/EGR/ABS/Auto Seatbelts/etc
SuperK
Supporting Member

Post by SuperK »

I just test drove a '12 Mazda3 hatchback 6 speed skyactiv...

Not the most powerful car, but economic and I was shocked of how much they reduced the wind and roadnoise in this model. from the '11 models, they added significant sound proofing underneath the car.
.... I'm just sayin' it wins my vote for a DD.
Bane
'93 Mazda MX-3 ZE
She Hates Me
My For Sale Thread
My Feedback Thread
My GS Worklog Thread
Vecia

Re: Vecia's 1994 MX-3: UPDATE - Idle Fixed! Another Dead The

Post by Vecia »

FINALLY!!!!

The idle issue is eliminated! The cause was in fact the weathered and cracked booster vacuum hose from the booster to the plenum. As I said before, I had cut open the old hose and pulled out the bullet check valve. The valve is fine but I'll be D@#N if I'm going to buy the hose with the check valve in it from Mazda... $47.00 USD!!!! They are out of their mind.

Here is an easy fix that I figured out;

Went to Autozone and bought some 3/8" High Temperature Power Steering Tubing. Paid $1.40 USD for 12" out of their scrap bin. Got to my buddy's house and took the check valve, lubed it up and pushed it into the hose with a long, 1/4" Nut Driver. Placed it at about middle ways down and then took two 3/8" Hose Clamps and placed one on each end of the check valve being careful to just cinch 'em down enough to where the check valve wouldn't move. It's a tight fit so I doubt it's going anywhere. Finally, I used 2 more hose clamps and tied the hose in to the booster and intake. The result is perfect.

As the Update says; I am now the proud owner of another failed Thermo. I am assuming my guess, as well as the few others that have commented on the issue, was right on. The MX-3 and Fail Safe Thermos just don't get along. Anyway, I removed the cheapo Overflow Reservoir and nudged in my old, OEM one against the front of my battery with some make-shift brackets. Needless to say, the air bubbles are gone but the faulty Thermo is stuck in the open position. No Heat!!!!! Eh, it's okay though. I'm about to start sourcing A/C parts so I can have air conditioner for the summer. Gonna replace the Thermo next weekend as money didn't allow it this weekend.

Also going to take some pics tomorrow to show the progress. Thanks for reading!
Vecia

Post by Vecia »

MrMazda92 wrote:Awesome! Good to see you got the idle stuff down! That's always a relief, since it'll bother you every second you're in the car if it is even slightly off. Idle, bleh. :lol:

Good to hear about the job too! Sounds like you're in a good place now! What newer model are you looking into by any chance?? Some good choices out there!
SuperK wrote:I just test drove a '12 Mazda3 hatchback 6 speed skyactiv...

Not the most powerful car, but economic and I was shocked of how much they reduced the wind and roadnoise in this model. from the '11 models, they added significant sound proofing underneath the car.
.... I'm just sayin' it wins my vote for a DD.
I'm looking at getting maybe a 2008 Mazda3 or Mazdaspeed3. They are quite reasonable down here for about that year. I love that Protege5, low-hugging, five-door style. So that's my goal anyways. We will see. Of course I wouldn't be disappointed if I found a Protege5 with decent miles on it either. A nice white one would be awesome.
Vecia

Post by Vecia »

Here are the pics from yesterday as promised.

SuperK
Supporting Member

Post by SuperK »

Thank you for your clean engine bay.

I've always had an affinity for the Protege5's... but they're still wicked expensive for their age!
Your MX-3 is going to get much better milage than the protege though...

And... glad you ditched the failsafe :)
Bane
'93 Mazda MX-3 ZE
She Hates Me
My For Sale Thread
My Feedback Thread
My GS Worklog Thread
Vecia

Post by Vecia »

SuperK wrote:Thank you for your clean engine bay.
Hahaha! Not as clean as it was as it just rained for like 4 days. I'm going to detail it this weekend. So sick of not having a back seat and good interior trim. Hard to detail when it's like a warehouse on the inside. I promise though, good engine bay pics this weekend.
SuperK wrote:I've always had an affinity for the Protege5's... but they're still wicked expensive for their age!
Your MX-3 is going to get much better milage than the protege though...

And... glad you ditched the failsafe
Protege5s are damn good cars. A dealership gave me one for a week to drive while the lean stuff was being processed on it a ways back. I fell in love with that car but the loan fell through so they took it back... :( Jerks, huh?

I do love my gas mileage now but that's okay. As long as I love what I drive then I won't too much mind, especially since I don't drive V8s anymore.

Yeah, I don't know what I was going through buying a Fail safe. I've just had allot of bad luck with 4 cylinders and overheating. I think I'm allot better equipped to handle them now though should one happen.
SuperK
Supporting Member

Post by SuperK »

First, don't drive around with your overheating B6.

Second, B6's laugh in the face of temperature. I've driven my roommate's 94 with no coolant over a dozen miles. Guy refused to replace his leaking radiator, and was too afraid to drive it hisself.

Third, the next overheating b6 will probably blow because of the second comment on this post.

Fourth, I have a lower back seat if you want it.

Fifth... There is no fifth.
Bane
'93 Mazda MX-3 ZE
She Hates Me
My For Sale Thread
My Feedback Thread
My GS Worklog Thread
RobMinhas

Post by RobMinhas »

Ah! I have the same issue with my brake booster and I just haven't' gotten the chance to take a look at it but now I know how to fix it! :)

And SuperK, the B6 you mentioned that belonged to your roommate, is that the b6 who's guts you showed on the forum a few weeks back?
Daninski wrote:This is my MX3. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My MX3 is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I master my life. My MX3, without me, is useless. Without my MX3, I am useless. I must fire up my MX3 true. I must drive straighter than any Honda driver who is trying to own me. I must own him before he owns me.
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Vecia wrote:As the Update says; I am now the proud owner of another failed Thermo. I am assuming my guess, as well as the few others that have commented on the issue, was right on.
;)
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
SuperK
Supporting Member

Post by SuperK »

no rob that was a jy engine we stuffed In there. His previous engine was an oil burning blown head gasket leaking radiator pos that just refused to die
Bane
'93 Mazda MX-3 ZE
She Hates Me
My For Sale Thread
My Feedback Thread
My GS Worklog Thread
RobMinhas

Post by RobMinhas »

SuperK wrote:no rob that was a jy engine we stuffed In there. His previous engine was an oil burning blown head gasket leaking radiator pos that just refused to die
Hahah I see.
And i hate to be a total goof but what exactly are the things circled in this pic called?
Daninski wrote:This is my MX3. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My MX3 is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I master my life. My MX3, without me, is useless. Without my MX3, I am useless. I must fire up my MX3 true. I must drive straighter than any Honda driver who is trying to own me. I must own him before he owns me.

Return to “MX-3 Worklogs”