Second Intake?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
JDMChris
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Second Intake?

Post by JDMChris »

Someone told me today that he had an 1.8... and that after a certain amount of RPM, a second intake opens up.. Is he on crack or am i?
SuperK
Supporting Member

Re: Second Intake?

Post by SuperK »

the interior of your manifold generally has multiple "butterfly valves" that open or close shorter or longer intake runners to the cylinder heads loosely based on your RPM. For example, on some intakes, one butterfly valve opens up at 3750 rpm's, then a second opens up at 4250. so it could be considered a "intake in your intake" since it does adjust the length the air must travel to the cylinder head.
Bane
'93 Mazda MX-3 ZE
She Hates Me
My For Sale Thread
My Feedback Thread
My GS Worklog Thread
Inodoro Pereyra

Post by Inodoro Pereyra »

SuperK wrote: open or close shorter or longer intake runners to the cylinder heads loosely based on your RPM.
Just a little correction: while K's concept is right, the VRIS valves don't change the length of the intake runners, but the length of the plenum. Otherwise, you'd need 12 butterfly valves, instead of 2. :shrug:

Sooo...being the way the VRIS works, you can tell the guy he's wrong: K engines don't have 2 intakes. They have 3.
U28sIG5vdyB5b3UgYWxzbyBrbm93IGJhc2UgNjQuLi5odWg/DQpTSE9XIE9GRiEhIQ==

"The more I know man, the more I love my dog."

Diogenes of Sinope.
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Yes, the intake manifold is equipped with 3 chambers tuned to a specific resonant frequency. The computer dynamically switches between each resonant chamber to achieve the appropriate resonant frequency for the engine's rpm. This effect optimizes volumetric efficiency over a given rpm range to provide maximum torque over the entire rpm range. (plagerization at it's finest) :lol:
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”