Clunking Noise And Pulling To The Left Side

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
Letters11
antispam: No

Clunking Noise And Pulling To The Left Side

Post by Letters11 »

Hello everyone. Looking to purchase a 1994 GS 1.8 K8, replaced engine (seller claims it is a JDM import, has proper paperwork..don't know if this is a big deal or not since I don't spend too much time following the v6 models). Anyway, When I drive the car straight, not problems at all. Cruising around turns, nothing that I can hear but don't know if it is still present over the sound of the exhaust. Going slower, pulling a U-Turn, pulling in a parking space it clanks/clunks from the front drivers side. It will also do it when it is stationary, just turning the wheel in the driveway. Usually it has to be pretty close to full steer for it to make the noise and sometimes it does it and sometimes it doesn't. Also when I'm driving, it pulls to the left. Sometimes pretty hard, other times not so bad but definitely noticeable. Seller says that he put the following new parts in.
-New CV axles, both sides
-Front hubs and bearings
-Ball joints

Im having a mechanic friend come check it out with me but is there anything I should specifically look out for. I know it could be alot of things and you would probably have to be there to hear it but any advice would be great.

Thanks alot
SuperK
Supporting Member

Re: Clunking Noise And Pulling To The Left Side

Post by SuperK »

first is to jack it up and take the wheel in your hand, move it back and forth, and see if the control arm is damaged in any way. I had the rear bushing completely snap in half and caused an issue like you mentioned. you can see a picture of the control arm in my gs worklog. if everything on the control arm is secure, then the next step is the balljoint. "But SuperK, the balljoint was replaced already!"

Yeah, that's what I told myself when I had mine replaced, and a couple weeks later, after pulling to one side repeatedly, the balljoint hopped off my spindle. whu ha happened wuz... the bolt that bolts through the spindle, and holds the balljoint IN the spindle was stripped down the middle, and it allowed the balljoint to flex freely until it popped. I would pull that bolt off and see if it's in perfect shape. it clunked and pulled with just that issue as well.

I went to ace hardware and bought a bolt/nut of higher grade for less than 3 dollars and replaced mine. Never had a problem with it.

Of course that's a different story, because I only got to drive it a week before my clutch disappeared.

I guess it also could be a combination of some suspension and axle mishap, the axle will pop and clack while turning, if it needs to be changed.
Last edited by SuperK on February 26th, 2012, 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bane
'93 Mazda MX-3 ZE
She Hates Me
My For Sale Thread
My Feedback Thread
My GS Worklog Thread
Letters11

Post by Letters11 »

SuperK wrote:first is to jack it up and take the wheel in your hand, move it back and forth, and see if the control arm is damaged in any way. I had the rear bushing completely snap in half and caused an issue like you mentioned. you can see a picture of the control arm in my gs worklog. if everything on the control arm is secure, then the next step is hte balljoing. "But SuperK, the balljoint was replaced already!"

Yeah, that's what I told myself when I had mine replaced, and a couple weeks later, after pulling to one side repeatedly, the balljoint hopped off my spindle. whu ha happened wuz... the bolt that bolts through the spindle, and holds the balljoint IN the spindle was stripped down the middle, and it allowed the balljoint to flex freely until it popped. I would pull that bolt off and see if it's in perfect shape. it clunked and pulled with just that issue as well.

I went to ace hardware and bought a bolt/nut of higher grade for less than 3 dollars and replaced mine. Never had a problem with it.

Of course that's a different story, because I only got to drive it a week before my clutch disappeared.

I guess it also could be a combination of some suspension and axle mishap, the axle will pop and clack while turning, if it needs to be changed.
Ok cool, thanks for the quick reply. I looked at it today so it might be a few days before I get back there, but I will look into these things. When I was looking at it, I figured what he replaced was good to go so I ignored the "new" parts. When having someone else turn the wheel, i held the cv axel and i couldnt feel any vibrations when the clunk happened. Everything on the cv was tight and seemed to be working (if this has anything to do with it). Also, is it ok to drive on this with this happenning. Would be approximately 25 miles to my house.
SuperK
Supporting Member

Post by SuperK »

they say that the balljoint is designed not to come off when you're going higher speeds. Mine popped off while rounding a corner at an intersection almost stopped.

"Maybe" is the best answer. I drove mine for a couple weeks, while trying to figure out the issue, and survived... but it's not only your safety but those around you you must worry about.

If everything seems tight, just try to hold it in a straight line.

as long as you're handy with a hammer and a couple bricks, you shouldn't be afraid of tackling the issue.

If there's no vibrations, I would definitely say it's something on the control arm. either the control arm itself or the balljoint and balljoint/spindle bolt.
Bane
'93 Mazda MX-3 ZE
She Hates Me
My For Sale Thread
My Feedback Thread
My GS Worklog Thread
Letters11

Post by Letters11 »

Thanks for all the help..Long story short, the guy said he would hold the car with a deposit so I can talk to some people about the issues and I would tell him my decision in the morning. Well I wake up to a text message saying that he sold it. Thanks anyway, still in hopes of finding a v6!!

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”