interior bar for race harness

A forum for Appearance Discussions. (Exterior, Body Kits, & Interior)
Josh
Supporting Member

Re: interior bar for race harness

Post by Josh »

What I mean is do not bolt the harness directly to the floor right behind the seat. The harness needs to be mounted at the same height as the openings in the seats to not compact the crap put of you if you ever get into an accident. You want it to pull you back into the seat not the constant force of being pulled down into the seat if that make sense. The B pillar bar isn't that strong I would trust in my rear strut tower bar before that one.
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Mooneggs »

Yeah I get it now after doing some more research... I was looking at cjthor's setup yesterday and I think this is ideal... the belts go over a bar not too much lower than the holes in the seat about 12" behind the seat then are bolted to the rear seat seatbel holes.

Based on what I've read, I think using the rear strut bar is a bad idea since it's so far back...

I guess at this point I have 3 options:
1. Run them straight back to the rear selt belt bolt locations (probably not the safest idea...
2. Get a roll cage and use that
3. Get a custom harness bar made that runs behind the seats and bolts to the floor.

I also need to go to the junkyard and get some of the mounting plates for point 3 on the floor by the door since autobelts have the belt here instead of a mounting point (pic 5)

Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

I don't see why you can't do that but use your B pillar bar instead of a cage. They would be bolted to the floor and pivot point off of the bar. My only fear would be the bar not being strong enough. You know the bolt holes the bar mounts to are, as they had seat belts bolted there. I just don't know the specs of those bars.
Evo_Spec

Post by Evo_Spec »

the one mooneggs has is a little better though because it bolts right up against the b-pillar and not just on the seatbelt bolt
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Mooneggs »

Josh wrote:I don't see why you can't do that but use your B pillar bar instead of a cage.
Because it's at least 6 inches higher than the holes in the seat for the belts and it's not 12" back from the holes. From my understanding having them angled up too sharply is just as bad as having them angled down too sharply.

And I'm not sure how much I trust the b-pillar if harness bars need to be connected to the floor? I still don't understand the physics of why that has to be...

I just want to do this safely!
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

Yeah it is a weird one. I didn't realize the B bar mounted that high. Perhaps you can steal CJ's cage :)

From what I have read and been told is that with a downward angle on the belt it compresses your spine and back and in the case of an accident can cause major problems. where if it is mounted perpendicular to your shoulders or a little higher it holds you back into the seat vs holding you down in the seat. Your best bet may be the rear seatbelt mounts until you get something better.
RS_OBD'oh_2

Post by RS_OBD'oh_2 »

From what I recall reading, you need more than 2 fixed points on the harness bar in order for it to meet code. That is why it is often attached to the floor.

I believe it cannot be more than 2" below your sholders as well (Or belt passages.)
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

RS_OBD'oh_2 wrote: I believe it cannot be more than 2" below your sholders as well (Or belt passages.)
That's the info I was looking for! I couldn't seem to find it doing a quick Google search.
Evo_Spec

Post by Evo_Spec »

i was randomly going through ebay and found this, not sure if it's mx3 specific but it seems so.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Mazda-MX-3-92-98 ... 4cf7800e7e

*edit*he also has different ads for black and red one's
Last edited by Evo_Spec on February 14th, 2012, 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

Thats Perfect!

would be nice if he had installed pics.

Return to “Appearance”