still burning too much gas...

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
mikeinaus
antispam: No

Re: Possible causes of burning way too much gas?

Post by mikeinaus »

just to clarify. i have a neck with 2 sensor holes. ive been running 2 sensors since i bought the car. i installed a new one last week and it turned out to be defective after i threw away the original.

over fueling has been an ongoing issue with this car in the 8months ive owned it. 95% of that time has been CEL free. i doubt 2 chips from 2 different programmers could have bad tunes. its possible but unlikely. my new chip was also verified and run on a car by the programmer (stoker100) for a week before it was mailed to me. does anyone think its possible there is a fault in my ecu? i have no problem switching to a kl ecu/vaf/disty, or even trying a different k834. its not like they are expensive at the wreckers, but they do cost money and the little i make from delivering pizzas while im in school is having a disastrous effect on my bank account. :crying: they also have a no returns policy and if possible id rather not add to my stockpile at this part in time.

ive emailed the programmer of my chip and asked if its possible to install the chip in a different year k8 ecu with a different distributor. if it is i can try and install it in my 92 gs's ecu (if its chipable) and grab the disty from that car.

solo_ryder installed the wire when he did the engine swap years ago. i also think he redid the entire wiring harness at that time. i also noticed it when i took my ecu out to replace the chip. you just have to add a wire to the plug on the ecu. im sure he got his info from some pinout diagrams.

anyone have a spare kl31/kl36 theyd lend me for testing :mrgreen:
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

If a KL47 is chippable by any chance, I could lend you a known working one for $0 + shipping :P
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Deleted: VAF/Power Steering/Air Conditioning/EGR/ABS/Auto Seatbelts/etc
mikeinaus

Post by mikeinaus »

dumb thing is shipping 2 ways would cost more then grabbing one locally. id also need to track down a kl vaf and a 92/93 disty adding to the cost. i think my best bet at this point would be to bite the bullet and grab a kl vaf/ecu/disty as well as another k834 from the wreckers. maybe not all at once anyways. i could start with another k834 and chip it with my second chip. if that doesnt pan out it should suggest my problem isnt ecu related? then id have a chipped ecu that might be easier to sell then just my probinator chip no one wants. then for the hell of frustration and curiosity i could buy a kl ecu/vaf and see if that has any effect.

thanks for the offer thow.
Mr.mx-3

Post by Mr.mx-3 »

I have a chippable k8 ecu from my 93 that the probinator chip should work with fine if you want that hell I'll swap you for something espically if you have a known working 93 k8 disty . If you haven't tried it yet get you a kl31/kl36 ecu that should help with the gas milage the only problem I have heard about and these is over fueling at wide open throttle other than that from what I have experinced it does great for everyday driving. To me it's not that big of a deal since I know that so I keep it a little off the floor when running the piss out of it to help with this problem. As far as switching disty in with ecu I don't think it really matters as long as it's still an obd1 it all should still work.

Also I don't think the 92 ecu's were the chippable ones for the probinator if you plan to use that
GS-ZE,fidanza fly/ 6 puck ceramic clutch,pacesetter headers/exhaust, AWR 88duro motormounts, P.R.M jetstream CAI,KYB GR-2 struts, KL31 ECU,JE-50VAF,110A Mellenia alt. S.S Corksport Clutch line.
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

I may have a KL02 VAF or 2 laying around, If you're unable to find one locally. You probably can, they were in a few cars! :lol:
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Deleted: VAF/Power Steering/Air Conditioning/EGR/ABS/Auto Seatbelts/etc
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Mr.mx-3 wrote:If you haven't tried it yet get you a kl31/kl36 ecu that should help with the gas milage the only problem I have heard about and these is over fueling at wide open throttle other than that from what I have experinced it does great for everyday driving.
mikeinaus wrote:i think my best bet at this point would be to bite the bullet and grab a kl vaf/ecu/disty
I was going to say to stop playing with chips and try an OEM combo. Don't know why you'd need the KL disty tho...
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
mikeinaus

Post by mikeinaus »

I was under the impression the 94 disty was unique and only ran on a 94 mx3 ecu . There is a kl36 ecu on eBay I'm thinking of trying.. .
mikeinaus

Post by mikeinaus »

ok so coolant temp sensor is fixed. turns out it wasnt the sensor. when i swapped chips in the ecu one of the pins fell out of the plug (the one that solo_ryder added for the coolant temp sensor). i just plugged it in the hole i thought it came from when i put it back together. turns out i had it in the wrong spot all together. after some researching and breaking the pin off the wire and some ghetto sticking wire in the pin hole and electrical taping it in place (temporary) my sensor is now working and im not getting code 69. exhaust still smells of gas but hopefully it will have some impact on my mileage. my new chip was slightly worse for mileage then my old one .5l or so more per 100km. hopefully it increases it a bit. does anyone know if the ecu needs to relearn the fuel maps after the coolant sensor is replaced? i know theres some reprogramming for the first 100km or so of o2 sensors but is it the same?
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

I would say yes to the relearn and probably wouldn't hurt to clear the ECU memory. mazdaspeed23 said he used a 92-93 disty I gave him on his 94. He had to swap around the wires at the plugs but it works and the engine started right up. I've asked him to do a write up on what he did. Contact him if your interested in this option if your disty goes bad.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
mikeinaus

Post by mikeinaus »

if it does go bad i have a spare. ill look into it if/when i decide to get a kl36. i thought it was more of a matter of wiring though? something to do with sensor that isnt present on one of them?
Mr.mx-3

Post by Mr.mx-3 »

yea I came back here to tell you I found you a kl36 ecu on ebay it may be the same one but here's the link
http://www.ebay.com/itm/JDM-KL36-ECU-92 ... 43acfe3dfe
GS-ZE,fidanza fly/ 6 puck ceramic clutch,pacesetter headers/exhaust, AWR 88duro motormounts, P.R.M jetstream CAI,KYB GR-2 struts, KL31 ECU,JE-50VAF,110A Mellenia alt. S.S Corksport Clutch line.
mikeinaus

Post by mikeinaus »

i found another one for slightly less money. i emailed the seller and put in a low ball offer so hopefully he accepts.
SuperK
Supporting Member

Post by SuperK »

I saw the same one, and emailed him and said I'd pay ten dollars more than you would!

(juust kidding...)
Bane
'93 Mazda MX-3 ZE
She Hates Me
My For Sale Thread
My Feedback Thread
My GS Worklog Thread
mikeinaus

Post by mikeinaus »

Lol go for it. I'm seriously considering selling the car. I have 5 months left of school and I have like no money. Thinking of getting a fuel efficient s--- box to get me around in. Assuming I can get anything close to what I've put into being this car.
Mr.mx-3

Post by Mr.mx-3 »

Well I finally got mine back up and running about an hour ago $250.00 new plugs and a new disty later it's going Altho I still don't know about the one cyl. if it's getting gas or not but I can say it seems a bit stronger and I can accually feel and hear the virs working just like my k8 did. I don't get the headlights dimming anymore when I'm sitting idling and turn the wheel or turn on the heat. Guess in my case these were just a few symptoms of the disty going bad. Does anybody know how to check injectors for failure or clog?

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”