Rob's '95 RS -> BP is in!

In this section, Users can post worklogs for their vehicle and show users their projects. (MX-3 ONLY!). Please create only ONE topic when starting a project, and DO NOT create 2 worklogs for the same vehicle, even though they are different projects. READ THE STICKY!
RobMinhas
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: Robs '95 RS Daily driver: Got $5,000 in scholarships!!

Post by RobMinhas »

Soooo, I;ve been doing some thinking..... for my Daily Driver, I want to keep my DD NA and I want to keep the mileage decent(not saying that a BPT can't get good mileage, I'm sure it can be done). I'm thinking I'm gonna do a BP swap. I know I won't be pushing a much faster car or anything, from my understanding a BP is around K8 as war as power and such goes and for a daily driver I can live with that. I'm sure there are also other things I can do to make it have a bit more go as well(custom exhaust, intake, that sorta thing). Another thing is, I NEED my car. I need it for school, for work, for errands, it would be extremely unhelpful to have a car that would require a lot of maintenance as well as having the swap requiring a lot of time and work. I want to do a BPT swap, it's just not currently what would be best for me. The amount of stuff I'd need to get ahold of as well as getting them all together in a working fashion is overwhelming for me right now. My plate is just too full for it, and I do not have the know how to do it yet either. Even in the summer time when I'm off of school it would be too much work for me to do until I know more. The more I read about BPT swaps the more I understand that there is still a lot I need to learn before I can do a swap.

In other news, I've been using my ebay quick release hub for about a week. It's about and inch and a half thing and has moved my steering wheel to very close to stock as far as distancing from indicators go. I'd recommend it, as I can bring my steering wheel inside with me so I won't have a cold wheel when my cars been parked outside for a while.
Daninski wrote:This is my MX3. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My MX3 is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I master my life. My MX3, without me, is useless. Without my MX3, I am useless. I must fire up my MX3 true. I must drive straighter than any Honda driver who is trying to own me. I must own him before he owns me.
Evo_Spec

Post by Evo_Spec »

Something to think about would be to do just a BP swap and worry about turbo stuff later.
BP swaps are pretty straight forward and would be like swapping another B6 in there, assuming the BP you get is from a reliable source so you know it ran properly before hand.
In the end though it's really about what you need and not what you want, if need your car to be reliable and running, leave it until you have enough knowledge or have someone who has enough knowledge to help you. We all say it's really easy but most of us has already done it or done something similar before, so go with your gut on what you want to do.

Haha, i never thought about using one to not having a cold steering wheel, i might just get one because of that XD
RobMinhas

Post by RobMinhas »

Evo_Spec wrote:Something to think about would be to do just a BP swap and worry about turbo stuff later.
BP swaps are pretty straight forward and would be like swapping another B6 in there, assuming the BP you get is from a reliable source so you know it ran properly before hand.
In the end though it's really about what you need and not what you want, if need your car to be reliable and running, leave it until you have enough knowledge or have someone who has enough knowledge to help you. We all say it's really easy but most of us has already done it or done something similar before, so go with your gut on what you want to do.

Haha, i never thought about using one to not having a cold steering wheel, i might just get one because of that XD
That's whaty I'm thinking, I figure I'll run the B6 for a while longer seeing as it's running perfectly fine right now and once it starts giving me trouble I'll source a nice running Protege with a BP and throw it in. I've read on the swap and it seems more down to my speed. Take one thing out, put the other thing in. No intercoolers and whatnot confusing me and intimidating me hahaha. This though, means the CF hood has gotta go. I can't, in good conscious, put a CF hood on a stock B6 engine. Maybe I'll keep it in the basement for a few years or maybe I'll sell it, I don't know yet.

And it's wonderful to have a warm steering wheel in a VERY VERY cold car hahah. I need to work something out with my shifter knob now, it's so cold too haha. I also removed my dash trim and have painted my vents, I haven't put them back in yet however so it's kinda hanging off right now. I found the symbols akin to PickNPulls on the dash piece which thickens my cars plot further, no one knows how that happened. I painted the vents Marine Blue as well, which matches the Mira Blue quite closely.
Daninski wrote:This is my MX3. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My MX3 is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I master my life. My MX3, without me, is useless. Without my MX3, I am useless. I must fire up my MX3 true. I must drive straighter than any Honda driver who is trying to own me. I must own him before he owns me.
Evo_Spec

Post by Evo_Spec »

RobMinhas wrote:This though, means the CF hood has gotta go. I can't, in good conscious, put a CF hood on a stock B6 engine. Maybe I'll keep it in the basement for a few years or maybe I'll sell it, I don't know yet.

And it's wonderful to have a warm steering wheel in a VERY VERY cold car hahah. I need to work something out with my shifter knob now, it's so cold too haha.
maybe you can pass the savings on to someone who has helped you get out of sticky situations maybe? =D
not gonna name names but maybe you were stuck on the side of the road once? someone helped? lol

i just wear gloves, solves my cold shifter/wheel problem.

i thought you got your starter installed, i know it doesn't warm the shifter but it shouldn't be unbearable.
RobMinhas

Post by RobMinhas »

Evo_Spec wrote: maybe you can pass the savings on to someone who has helped you get out of sticky situations maybe? =D
not gonna name names but maybe you were stuck on the side of the road once? someone helped? lol

i just wear gloves, solves my cold shifter/wheel problem.

i thought you got your starter installed, i know it doesn't warm the shifter but it shouldn't be unbearable.
Not to mention helping me set up my headlights, hooking me up with free spark plug wires and an intake :) I definitely owe you one, and if the CF hood is gonna go, you're on the top of the list sir. I also owe you lunch still haha

And the shifter knob is just me being dumb haha, i have the convenience of a starter and a warm steering wheel and I really don't need any more convenience.
Mi|<E

Re: Robs '95 RS Daily driver: No more BPT, more likely BP

Post by Mi|<E »

Take a look at 2nd gen BP's if you are going to go that way, OBD2 to OBD2. Also
they look identical to a B6 unless you know what your looking for to avoid insurance
problems. ICBC will not cover you if you mod the car and get into any problems, be
it your fault or not. Mods can unfortunately be used to void the terms of insurance and
a 'modded car' is to be used for pleasure only according to the bastages. Just more to
consider.
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

Mi|<E wrote:Take a look at 2nd gen BP's if you are going to go that way, OBD2 to OBD2. Also
they look identical to a B6 unless you know what your looking for to avoid insurance
problems. ICBC will not cover you if you mod the car and get into any problems, be
it your fault or not. Mods can unfortunately be used to void the terms of insurance and
a 'modded car' is to be used for pleasure only according to the bastages. Just more to
consider.
Wow I would say thats crazy talk, but you are talking about Canada... (Kidding)

My insurance covers all I do to my car as long as I have documentation or photos.

Rob,

The most I have seen a N/A BP put down in stock form with headers intake and such was 110whp. If you are looking to stay N/A perhaps you could source an FE3 motor. They are in the same power spectrum as a KLDE. would be pretty straight forward swap, wouldent have to deal with all the turbo stuff, and you would get just as much power as a B6T and just slightly under a BPT while staying N/A. just a thought :)
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Don't equate turbo with poor mileage. A daily driven turbo vehicle would more than likely get BETTER mileage than a NA one. (Chevy Cruize, to name one) Go look on Probetalk, and see what the turbo DE cars are getting for mileage compared to NA.

The turbo is an efficiency adder, and it truly is if you can lay off the high throttle high RPM. (but good luck with that, haha)

and +1 for FE3... that is a badass motor.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
RS_OBD'oh_2

Post by RS_OBD'oh_2 »

You can boost your B6. If your motor is in as good of shape as you say, why not? You can get a turbo that will work for both the b6 and bp as the larger displacement is not all that differnet. Intercooler, BOV etc will all stay installed. Some pipe, both charge air and exhaust may have to be replaced or modded. (if you wanted to swap in the BP later on)

You said that your HP goal was 180 to 200 hp. The B6 will do that all day long my friend. No, it's not as cool as the BP. And don't expect to keep up with Mike even if you do have a boosted BP.
ethand

Post by ethand »

Ryan wrote:Don't equate turbo with poor mileage. A daily driven turbo vehicle would more than likely get BETTER mileage than a NA one. (Chevy Cruize, to name one) Go look on Probetalk, and see what the turbo DE cars are getting for mileage compared to NA.

The turbo is an efficiency adder, and it truly is if you can lay off the high throttle high RPM. (but good luck with that, haha)
Exactly true - nearly the entire VW range is turbo'ed for efficiency reasons. A whole lot of other companies (Ford, Audi, BMW, Merc, etc.) are doing the same now too. This is because a smaller displacement motor is needed for same levels of power as a larger engine, and less throttle needs to be used when driving 'normally' to get up to speed. Might be an idea to look into the levels of boost these sorts of cars have (quite low, I would imagine), as this would be how to your engine running reliably. But like all engines do, turbo engines use MUCH more fuel when being pushed hard... but sometimes its just worth it :twisted:
'92 JDM Eunos Presso - Zeke
RobMinhas

Post by RobMinhas »

RS_OBD'oh_2 wrote:You can boost your B6. If your motor is in as good of shape as you say, why not? You can get a turbo that will work for both the b6 and bp as the larger displacement is not all that differnet. Intercooler, BOV etc will all stay installed. Some pipe, both charge air and exhaust may have to be replaced or modded. (if you wanted to swap in the BP later on)

You said that your HP goal was 180 to 200 hp. The B6 will do that all day long my friend. No, it's not as cool as the BP. And don't expect to keep up with Mike even if you do have a boosted BP.
I lack the know how to do it and it seems like it wouldn't be any harder or time consuming then putting in a BPT, just minus the actual engine swap. I like the idea, as it fits my lofty goal but I don't think its for me.
Ryan wrote:Don't equate turbo with poor mileage. A daily driven turbo vehicle would more than likely get BETTER mileage than a NA one. (Chevy Cruize, to name one) Go look on Probetalk, and see what the turbo DE cars are getting for mileage compared to NA.

and +1 for FE3... that is a badass motor.
That's why I threw in the disclaimer hahah and I wouldn't be able to do that at all haha
Mi|<E wrote:Take a look at 2nd gen BP's if you are going to go that way, OBD2 to OBD2. Also
consider.
I will keep that in mind for the BP swap, I have noticed they look quite alike.
Josh wrote:
consider.
Wow I would say thats crazy talk, but you are talking about Canada... (Kidding)

My insurance covers all I do to my car as long as I have documentation or photos.

Rob,

The most I have seen a N/A BP put down in stock form with headers intake and such was 110whp. If you are looking to stay N/A perhaps you could source an FE3 motor. They are in the same power spectrum as a KLDE. would be pretty straight forward swap, wouldent have to deal with all the turbo stuff, and you would get just as much power as a B6T and just slightly under a BPT while staying N/A. just a thought :)
I like where you're going with the FE3, they seem to be a little harder to come by and reacquire some more parts right? Anyone know anything about that? I'm gonna go run and comb through the search results for FE3.
RobMinhas

Post by RobMinhas »

ethand wrote:

Exactly true - nearly the entire VW range is turbo'ed for efficiency reasons. A whole lot of other companies (Ford, Audi, BMW, Merc, etc.) are doing the same now too. This is because a smaller displacement motor is needed for same levels of power as a larger engine, and less throttle needs to be used when driving 'normally' to get up to speed. Might be an idea to look into the levels of boost these sorts of cars have (quite low, I would imagine), as this would be how to your engine running reliably. But like all engines do, turbo engines use MUCH more fuel when being pushed hard... but sometimes its just worth it :twisted:
I've never driven a turbo car before so I don't know too much about them just what I've heard. i'm assuming that this is the same case with superchargers right? Although I can't think of a supercharged car off of the top of my head who gets good mileage(I'm thinking Camaro and such).
RS_OBD'oh_2

Post by RS_OBD'oh_2 »

I think there is some fab work involved for a motor mount.. dunno, seems familiar.
Keep in mind that all the fab work for the b6 pretty much has to be done for any boosted setup you throw in.
RobMinhas

Post by RobMinhas »

RS_OBD'oh_2 wrote:I think there is some fab work involved for a motor mount.. dunno, seems familiar.
Keep in mind that all the fab work for the b6 pretty much has to be done for any boosted setup you throw in.
I see. i'm not knowledgable about forced induction at all which is why I don't want to go boosted right now, theres just a lot I need to understand before I attempt it.
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

Rob I hat to jack your WL, but guys sure Turbo vehicles "CAN" be more efficient, but on our vehicles they are anything but. Even with the little stock VJ14 on my B6DE I never came close to that of it being N/A. the best I ever did was 28 freeway, and that's a road trip, N/A with my ATX i consistantly got 32-35mpg. Honestly I have met a lot of guys with boosted B series motors over the years and unless you are running a 626/mx-6 5th gear you are sitting at 25-30 mpg at best. You cannot compare a VW that is designed for optimum performance and a home built turbo kit on your mazda together it just doesn't happen, it is like comparing apples to oranges.

Rob,

The FE3 is practically a bolt in process from what I have been told. It bolts to a V6 G series gearbox, so you may need the engine cradle and mounts, axles. But other than that you can run it off of BP tuning, the timing is slightly different but I guess it is very close. You may need to swap your engine bay harness to a 92-92 rs harness to run a BP10 ecu.

Return to “MX-3 Worklogs”