Anyone ever had 8000k HID's

This forum is for discussion of topics relating to MX-3 lighting such as Headlights, Tail lights, Accessory Lights, Interior Lights, Etc. For example, Rear Euro Altezza Style Tail lights, Headlight units, LED's, HID's, Bulbs, Interior lights, Neons, Strobes, Auxillary Lights/Fogs or anything filament and gas discharge related.
Also anything dealing with the elctrical system.
mikeetown
antispam: No

Anyone ever had 8000k HID's

Post by mikeetown »

I got 8000k HID's'for my x-mas present. They beat the crap out of my 80w regular bulbs for sure. However, i really hate the color. They are blueish. If they were whiter or warmer in color then my road vision would improve even more!!

I love HID's' though! They are great for rainiy weather and fog.
mikeetown
93 Black GS - J-spec KLDE, CLEAN CAR
92 Red GS - J-spec K8ZE, stripped interior - Written off
2004 Infinity G35 Track Edition - 6 speed manual
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=79142
Evo_Spec

Re: Anyone ever had 8000k HID's

Post by Evo_Spec »

i've had 8000k before i bought my glass headlights and i personally love the blueish color from them but i didn't have a proper cut-off so i hated that, unless i'm getting projectors i'll just be staying with my glass headlights, they're plenty bright
the downside to 8k is that you lose some brightness for the color, 4-5k is the brightest and gives a halogen colored light
johnmx3ze

Post by johnmx3ze »

Im running 10k on my mx-3 and 6k on my wrx...
mx-3, KL turbo (tooo much to list) yeah its boosted!
worklog====> http://mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=67582" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
cardomain==> http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3869504/1 ... awks-on-ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Cars with aftermarket HID kits, produce a lot more GLARE, because the headlights are not designed for HIDs. It's the glare that causes blinding and catches cop's attention. The brightest HIDs are 4100k ~ 4300k (white lights). 5000k ~ 6000K have more of a blue tint, but are actually not as bright. Some ppl install aftermarket HIDs 8000k or higher for two reasons: 1. pure cosmetic 'cus they have a more blue / purple tint. 2. they are mis-informed and think the higher the k the "better" it is.
Anyway if your running 10,000k John this might be your favorite song. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I62uwbyD2pU :P
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
Miguelitto

Post by Miguelitto »

Im running 12k on low beams, 3000K(GOLD) on fog lights...

and Im runing 8000K on my ford focus....

Personnally I like much more the combination of 12000K and 3000K =D
Never run faster than your angel can fly!........ My angel has NOS
My worklog || Brazil => http://www.mx3zone.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Someone posted pics of different strength lights, I'll see if I can find them.

and

Finally just for another comparison.

Last edited by Daninski on January 31st, 2012, 8:46 am, edited 3 times in total.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
mikeetown

Post by mikeetown »

Im working a nights job right now and i got them for free so i thought ( even though i hate the blue) what the heck its better. But, im going to get some projector headlights in a month when i get some money
mikeetown
93 Black GS - J-spec KLDE, CLEAN CAR
92 Red GS - J-spec K8ZE, stripped interior - Written off
2004 Infinity G35 Track Edition - 6 speed manual
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=79142
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

Dan, I gathered from those images that white is in fact better for visibility than blue. Did I understand it correctly?

It makes sense to me... Personally I think the blue ones should be illegal. I get bad headaches when I drive at night, and the blue HIDs are by far the worst. I've driven cars with them installed, I think it even looks bad from the driver's perspective... Headache-wise, I don't have a color preference other than that.
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Deleted: VAF/Power Steering/Air Conditioning/EGR/ABS/Auto Seatbelts/etc
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

The blue ones are illegal...around here anyway. Only police are allowed to have a blue light on the car. Cops are getting more lenient with this kind of thing though. there are so many cars with 8k hids and tinted side windows that I think they're just giving up. They might not stop you for it, but it's still the kind of thing they're happy to tack on after say a speeding ticket or something.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

I see so many of them here... It's terrible. I am about ready to give up on night driving because of it :( My mirror is forever adjusted down because of it.
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
_-Night-Shade-_

Post by _-Night-Shade-_ »

I have 8000k HIDs with my EDM glass headlights... I like it a lot. It's only slightly blue, which is the look I was going for.
--------------------------------------------
[WORKLOG] [FOR SALE] [Wishlist] [Feedback]
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

I don't get why the blue causes headaches faster than regular white/yellow, but they've ALWAYS bothered me.
Daily:

Kid Hauler:

First Love:
RobMinhas
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by RobMinhas »

I have 6000K with my projectors and the sole reason I didn't go with 8000K was how agitating the blew bulbs were. It seems like almost everyone who has 8000K have them levelled wrong too so they're shining right at me. I've heard from some people that are using 8000K HIDs that they chose them mostly because of how they looked rather then how they perform but I've also heard from another guy that he feels the 4300K to 6000K is too bright and is an eye sore. I have weird friends.
Daninski wrote:This is my MX3. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My MX3 is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I master my life. My MX3, without me, is useless. Without my MX3, I am useless. I must fire up my MX3 true. I must drive straighter than any Honda driver who is trying to own me. I must own him before he owns me.
_-Night-Shade-_

Post by _-Night-Shade-_ »

Of course it's usually for looks, but any HID light is an improvement over stock. If you want colour temperature that's most realistic to sunlight/daytime, it's 5500K.
--------------------------------------------
[WORKLOG] [FOR SALE] [Wishlist] [Feedback]

Return to “Electrical & Lighting”