KLZE swap help desperately needed - Phoenix AZ

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
heckdave
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

KLZE swap help desperately needed - Phoenix AZ

Post by heckdave »

Hi All,

I hope I'm posting this in the right place. I have a 1993 MX3 GS SE. I ordered a KLZE from Tiger Japanese in Canada. I asked them which engine that I should get, they told me to get the straight neck (I know that's wrong now!). So I got the straight neck, my friend put the engine in the car, having to use the original plenum and throttle body from my 1.8 V6, along with the computer that was also from Tiger Japanese. At first, the car started but could not idle, you would have to keep your foot on the pedal to avoid stalling. Right now, I think the stock computer is in there. I don't know what they've done since, but last time I checked, it didn't even have spark. My final question is.....Is there anybody in the Phoenix area with experience in this matter that can help me???? I am having trouble navigating this site, so my email is heckdave@hotmail.com. The car (which is cherry!) has been in this shop for well over a year. I love this car and would appreciate any type of help/response and thank anyone in advance for any input.

Dave H
1993 MX-3 GS SE, KLZE, D2 Coilovers, Painted Charcoal
1992 MX-3 GS, stock (Sold)
1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, Mostly Stock
2005 Mazdaspeed Miata
1987 Bertone (Fiat) X1/9, Dodge 2.2 turbo swap
Ryan

Re: KLZE swap help desperately needed - Phoenix AZ

Post by Ryan »

Oh boy.

You should have done a bit more research before you started this. You DO want a straight neck, but you don't want a straight neck manifold.

Go find a Mazda Millenia 2.5L intake manifold. Thats 2.5L, NOT 2.3L supercharged.

That is the correct manifold, but that is not a Millenia.

When you have the manifold off, make sure the head codes (stamped on the intake side of each head) is KL31-1A1 and KL31-101.

Remove the front valve cover and make sure KL31 is stamped on the camshafts.

You can run the motor on the stock computer and airflow meter.

What is the code on the computer that Tiger gave you? KL31? KL36? If it is one of those, use your JE50 airflow meter (Stock), and it should run fine.

In all cases, run the stock distributor, not the one that came with the ZE.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

OMG Tiger Jap again. I keep telling people not to deal with them but no one listens. Check the ECU they sold you, it should say KL31 or KL36 if it does you good there. We use the curved neck because the straight neck contacts our brake reservoir. If you can't find a curved neck search here for posts where people did make the straight neck fit or post here in the [WTB] section. A couple people here have curve necks they might sell you. Other than that why not post some pics of your motor paying attention to the vac and electrical connections so we can see whats been done or not done.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
mazdaspeed23
antispam: No

Post by mazdaspeed23 »

i agree with ryan and daninski You should have done a bit more research before you started this. especially research on Tiger Jap. like daninski said some people do use the straight neck but it does cause problems. most of us use the curved neck, both of my klze's are curved neck. if its a true jdm klze it should read one of these numbers KL31-1A1 and KL31-101 like ryan said. I dont know much about tiger jap and their returns, but i would say if its not a true klze or you're having problems with it, id be contacting them asap. post some pics so we can see
Own
1994 MX-3 GS swapped ZE
1994 MX-3 GS Swapped ZE (Gone)
1996 Dodge Dakota Sport v8 Magnum
2007 Ford Fusion SE

WORK LOG: http://mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=81232

My MX-3 is nothing without me, and i am nothing without my MX-3
heckdave

Post by heckdave »

I appreciate the responses. Actually, I was looking for the one that fit directly into my car, not just the one with the most power, so I did want the curved neck. I don't have immediate access to the car, and on top of that, I'm not much of a mechanic, so I can't answer some these questions.

My car is at a mechanic's garage. He is having personal problems, and I am getting the worst end of it. What I am looking for is someone in the Phoenix, AZ area that can physically help me.
2005 Mazdaspeed Miata
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Ok, I hadn't worked on cars for years and I do mean years. I pulled my K8 out, sat it beside the new ZE and made sure both engines looked the same. If not swap parts off you K8 to your ZE. Install the ZE and start connecting plugs. Every plug is different so you can't screw that up (OBD2 excepted). We can help you along the way. Key to doing this,,,,,No Fear. :D
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
wagZE

Post by wagZE »

Post a WTB thread in the For Sale section & someone will sell you a curved neck millenia intake manifold. Or call a local junkyard. If you can smooth things over with your mechanic, he'll just need half a day to swap the manifolds... Passing emissions on the other hand :shrug:
1 mx6 88 LX auto 2.2l 4cyl
2 mx6 93 LS saved from junkyard SOLD
3 Mx6 96 M edition blow a ze part it
4 Mx6 96 gold LS paint n lights auto SOLD
5 mx6 red fresh paint clean, sold
1 mx3 92rs sohc auto rota c8s h&r
2 mx3 93 gsze bought w/ mods
3 mx3 93 GSze mtx swp act stg3 str8 nek im eibach kl36
4 mx3 GS SOLD-
6 mx3 white gs jdm swap'd SOLD
*5th mx3 blk GS clean title modded DD*
1 PGT 97 blk, garaged clean sold
2 pgt primered 5 spd KL SOLD
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

If the mechanic is having 'personal problems' they're not your problems. Go and get your car 1 year is beyond stupid its,,,,stupider :shrug: anyway. We will help you step by step you can do it yourself you just need a few tools. No spark, he probably tried to use the distributor that came with the engine and it has no coil to produce spark so like Ryan said use you cars original distributor. Ok, now go and get your car, that mechanic should of admitted he can't do it and handed the job over to another garage. :rant2:
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
7477th member.

Mr.mx-3

Post by Mr.mx-3 »

Daninski wrote:If the mechanic is having 'personal problems' they're not your problems. Go and get your car 1 year is beyond stupid its,,,,stupider :shrug: anyway. We will help you step by step you can do it yourself you just need a few tools. No spark, he probably tried to use the distributor that came with the engine and it has no coil to produce spark so like Ryan said use you cars original distributor. Ok, now go and get your car, that mechanic should of admitted he can't do it and handed the job over to another garage. :rant2:
Yea really I'm a total NEWB. to this japan stuff and I successfully did it in 2 weeks start to fin. of course haveing a shop with a lift and (everyone here helping me I think Dan must have checked about every post I made and gave me GOLDEN Advice) helps A TON!!
I mean yea sure I have a mechanical background but mostly basic Old Domestic knowlage. So yea being a newb. to this can be a bit over whelming but just get out there and do it and when you do you'll be even happier that you did..
GS-ZE,fidanza fly/ 6 puck ceramic clutch,pacesetter headers/exhaust, AWR 88duro motormounts, P.R.M jetstream CAI,KYB GR-2 struts, KL31 ECU,JE-50VAF,110A Mellenia alt. S.S Corksport Clutch line.
heckdave

Post by heckdave »

Thanks for all of the replies. Got the car, and took it to another garage. Apparently the distributor (from the 1.8) was bad. Got a new one and now I have spark. Currently looking for Intake from a 1996 Millenia, might have found it locally in AZ. My computer said something like KL 84???? if I remember correctly. I think it was KL 8-something. I still have the original computer if that is better.
2005 Mazdaspeed Miata
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Post in [WTB] Curve neck intake for KLZE.
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
7477th member.

Mr.mx-3

Post by Mr.mx-3 »

Good to hear you are making progress.You should be able to source a millinia intake pretty easy at a local junkyard. But I think if I remember reading it correctly there is a differance between the KL-DE curved kneck intake and KL-ZE curved kneck intake. I think it had something to do with the ZE having better airflow than the DE. In my opinion you would probally do best to just try to find one from a ZE so you know you are getting the correct part.
GS-ZE,fidanza fly/ 6 puck ceramic clutch,pacesetter headers/exhaust, AWR 88duro motormounts, P.R.M jetstream CAI,KYB GR-2 struts, KL31 ECU,JE-50VAF,110A Mellenia alt. S.S Corksport Clutch line.
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

You can make a straight neck work but there are clearance issues with the brake reservoir. You also need to 'fill' your engine mounts eventually as they don't stand up to the ZE's increased horse power so the motor will hit the reservoir if you go straight neck. If you remove the intake to swap for a curved neck vacum the area really well so no dirt falls into the engine and be sure to properly torque the intake to the correct value and in the correct sequence (see on line manual). http://www.mx-3.com/manuals/showimg.php ... B2-111.gif
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
7477th member.

heckdave

Post by heckdave »

Millenia intake is in now. Car is running, but now I have the EGR valve problem. The check engine light is on because of the EGR. If I get the KL-31 or KL-36 computer, will this go away? I need to get the car through emissions. Any advice out there? Thanks!!!

Also, If I get the KL-31/36 computer, will I get more power as compared to the KL-85???? or stock computer?

Dave H in Arizona.
2005 Mazdaspeed Miata
mikeinaus
antispam: No

Post by mikeinaus »

kl31/36 will remove the code. im not too sure about increasing power as you dont have a ze im and they probably wont correct the vris points. as far as im aware the millenia has the egr bolted to the manifold? opposed to the head in traditional kl-de engines. if it is in fact on the intake you could more then likely get the egr to function properly with your current ecu/intake setup. have a look around and see if you can find the egr valve on the back of the intake. it should look like this http://img36.imageshack.us/img36/4057/egrw.jpg it will also give you a better chance of passing e-tests.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”