no spark (klze)

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
denisizzle
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

no spark (klze)

Post by denisizzle »

Got a klze and since recently stopped getting a spark. Started it one night and it was fine, next day it wouldn't start. Should mention that the past 10 ish times to start it I've had to rotate the distributor while it was cranking since the timing got screwed up. I accidentally forgot to plug in one of the spark plug wires at the disty and since then it's been getting more and more problematic.

So far I've tried:
- at least 5 disties
- 2 ecu's and a maf
- tried rotating the disty with the key in ON. I can hear the injectors firing
- tested for spark with the the plug out and on a ground (nothing)
- tested the three prong wire going to the disty (wire on the left and other one on a ground) reading 11.5 volts (is this the ignition?)

Just looking for some more ideas to rule out some things, is there anything else I can easily test? Is there a relay for the disty?

Thanks for any help
Nd4SpdSe

Re: no spark (klze)

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

HEI or Coil?

Where the hell are you getting your distys from?
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
denisizzle

Post by denisizzle »

stock disty. At least 3 of em where known to be working so that isn't my problem there.
Dali
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Post by Dali »

Both my mx3's have had this problem. One was the wiring going into the disty, had a busted wire. The one I'm driving right now needs the wires on the ecu to get banged a little for the disty to work. Otherwise the car does not start, the starter just keeps turning over on starting.
1993 White gs klze.
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Nd4SpdSe wrote:HEI or Coil?

Where the hell are you getting your distys from?
Where do you think, he went to Disty'sRus. Right beside Spatulacity. :P

Is there a chance since the car would start when you rotated the disty that one of the wires on either of the plugs is loose or broken?
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
denisizzle

Post by denisizzle »

Just tried switching all the wires, no luck.
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Not the plug wires, the two plugs top side on the disty. I was thinking one of those could be loose or broken.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
denisizzle

Post by denisizzle »

I've tried many distys so it cant be that all the plugs are broken. As for the connectors they look ok, little bit of cracking and exposing it but I wrapped that up in electrical tape.
Mr.mx-3

Post by Mr.mx-3 »

denisizzle wrote:Got a klze and since recently stopped getting a spark. Started it one night and it was fine, next day it wouldn't start. Should mention that the past 10 ish times to start it I've had to rotate the distributor while it was cranking since the timing got screwed up. I accidentally forgot to plug in one of the spark plug wires at the disty and since then it's been getting more and more problematic.

So far I've tried:
- at least 5 disties
- 2 ecu's and a maf
- tried rotating the disty with the key in ON. I can hear the injectors firing
- tested for spark with the the plug out and on a ground (nothing)
- tested the three prong wire going to the disty (wire on the left and other one on a ground) reading 11.5 volts (is this the ignition?)

I had about the same thing happen to me today i was checking out a dry cyl. Issue. Pulled the plugs to check them started in the front from the timing belt side the first and second ones looked fine had the orangeish color to them from running the piss out of it but the one beside the disty looked brand new no discoloration at all. I thought it may have been a bad plug so i cranked the car and let it run and pulled that wire to see if the wire itself was getting spark and the car cut off tried multiple times to start it and nothing!! Anyone have any ideas?

Just looking for some more ideas to rule out some things, is there anything else I can easily test? Is there a relay for the disty?

Thanks for any help
GS-ZE,fidanza fly/ 6 puck ceramic clutch,pacesetter headers/exhaust, AWR 88duro motormounts, P.R.M jetstream CAI,KYB GR-2 struts, KL31 ECU,JE-50VAF,110A Mellenia alt. S.S Corksport Clutch line.
WhiteFinish

Post by WhiteFinish »

Isn't there a relay that's also connected to the spark ?
Just another Mx3 freak :)

Feedback topic: Click

Worklog
Worklog click
Mr.mx-3

Post by Mr.mx-3 »

ok I ordered an ignition control module from advance for $65.00 today I hope that corrects my problem. It just astounds me how one minute it was running and the next it just totally shut down after removing a sparkplug wire while it was running. As I said in my earlier post the plug on number 6 looked brand new with no gas build up or anything and the other 2 on the front bank had a orangeish color with gas deposits on the threads this is from me running the piss out of it I know. However on number 6 the ceramic around the electrode was melted and the top of the plug where the socket head is looked burnt. I don't know if the injector on that cyl is stopped up or it's dead but one thing I do know is that when the car was running and I removed the wire nothing changed no increase in miss or improvement and ten seconds later it shut down with no spark to any of the cyl. I'm getting gas flow because I can hear the pump running,the injectors clicking,and smell gas what cyl.s are getting gas is another story.
GS-ZE,fidanza fly/ 6 puck ceramic clutch,pacesetter headers/exhaust, AWR 88duro motormounts, P.R.M jetstream CAI,KYB GR-2 struts, KL31 ECU,JE-50VAF,110A Mellenia alt. S.S Corksport Clutch line.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”