The "Quick Question" Thread

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Evo_Spec

Re: The "Quick Question" Thread

Post by Evo_Spec »

RobMinhas wrote: Thanks about the second cat info. And that fix is quite comical, I'm gonna have an interesting time straightening it out. I wonder if I should still swap out for the aftermarket one though, I think it's a bit smaller but I don't know if thats a good thing or a bad thing quite yet.

But Ryan, you have the answers to almost all of my questions hahah! Thanks a lot man.
the downside to going to a smaller steering wheel is that it'll become a little harder to steer because you have less leverage but with our powersteering it's really no problem, i went to a 320mm steering wheel in my car and i absolutely love it since our stock wheel is MASSIVE i think it's like 400mm while most cars are 350-380mm. (your momo wheel 90% likely to be 350mm)
also by getting a smaller wheel you can't put your elbow on the door and hold your wheel, unless you have a long forearm
RobMinhas
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by RobMinhas »

Evo_Spec wrote:
RobMinhas wrote: Thanks about the second cat info. And that fix is quite comical, I'm gonna have an interesting time straightening it out. I wonder if I should still swap out for the aftermarket one though, I think it's a bit smaller but I don't know if thats a good thing or a bad thing quite yet.

But Ryan, you have the answers to almost all of my questions hahah! Thanks a lot man.
the downside to going to a smaller steering wheel is that it'll become a little harder to steer because you have less leverage but with our powersteering it's really no problem, i went to a 320mm steering wheel in my car and i absolutely love it since our stock wheel is MASSIVE i think it's like 400mm while most cars are 350-380mm. (your momo wheel 90% likely to be 350mm)
also by getting a smaller wheel you can't put your elbow on the door and hold your wheel, unless you have a long forearm
I got pretty long forearms so I should be good but I'll stick the steering wheel over mine and see how it feels. What kind of adaptor did you have set up with yours? And where did you get it?
Daninski wrote:This is my MX3. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My MX3 is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I master my life. My MX3, without me, is useless. Without my MX3, I am useless. I must fire up my MX3 true. I must drive straighter than any Honda driver who is trying to own me. I must own him before he owns me.
MrMazda92
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Post by MrMazda92 »

Ryan is right about the fix for the squeak... I'll add that you should loosen the tilt wheel adjust prior to his suggestion though. Let it hang down, and then pull the wheel back as firmly and steadily as you can. You may hear a pop when you do it, you may not, either way it's normal. My first time doing this, after buying the car(squeaked nonstop when I got it) there was a giant pop. Subsequent "adjustments" have caused no audible popping noises. :lol:

Get used to doing that though, I also recommend turning the wheel side to side slightly while pulling. It seemed to help in my case, although everyone does things differently. :wink:
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Deleted: VAF/Power Steering/Air Conditioning/EGR/ABS/Auto Seatbelts/etc
Evo_Spec

Post by Evo_Spec »

RobMinhas wrote:
Evo_Spec wrote:

I got pretty long forearms so I should be good but I'll stick the steering wheel over mine and see how it feels. What kind of adaptor did you have set up with yours? And where did you get it?
i should of mention i have a bosskit sitting in my closet that's being useless XD
pm me if you want more info
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

Evo_Spec wrote:the downside to going to a smaller steering wheel is that it'll become a little harder to steer because you have less leverage but with our powersteering it's really no problem, i went to a 320mm steering wheel in my car and i absolutely love it since our stock wheel is MASSIVE i think it's like 400mm while most cars are 350-380mm. (your momo wheel 90% likely to be 350mm)
Okay, since I keep forgetting to measure this and find out once and for all... I ran outside in the cold to check for all of us :lol:

The steering wheel is almost exactly 14" in diameter, or roughly 355mm.

I've always wondered, but never had the motivation to actually check... This helps a lot, now I can find an AM wheel I like. :lol:
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Evo_Spec

Post by Evo_Spec »

MrMazda92 wrote:
Evo_Spec wrote:the downside to going to a smaller steering wheel is that it'll become a little harder to steer because you have less leverage but with our powersteering it's really no problem, i went to a 320mm steering wheel in my car and i absolutely love it since our stock wheel is MASSIVE i think it's like 400mm while most cars are 350-380mm. (your momo wheel 90% likely to be 350mm)
Okay, since I keep forgetting to measure this and find out once and for all... I ran outside in the cold to check for all of us :lol:

The steering wheel is almost exactly 14" in diameter, or roughly 355mm.

I've always wondered, but never had the motivation to actually check... This helps a lot, now I can find an AM wheel I like. :lol:
thanks for clearing that up for me, i guess it just felt massive compared to my wheel now XD
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

Honestly, I think it is a large wheel... Let me check a few other cars, gimme a minute. :lol: I have 9 cars in my driveway, only 2 are MX-3s.

Wow, it's cold out...

Edit:

Okay so here we are:

'95 Civic Hatch(Not mine, I promise. :lol: ) : 14" give or take an eighth.

'98 Toyota Camry: 14.25" give or take a little.

'01 Mercury Mountaineer: 14.5" dead even.

I was a little surprised... I think it may be the orientation of the seat and the design of the interior, but the steering wheel does feel huge in these cars. I keep thinking I want a smaller one, but only a little bit smaller. Maybe a 340mm wheel will be a good fit for me! :D

I left out the Motorhome and Suburban, they've got larger wheels than the Mountaineer, I know that. :lol: This is what happens when you rent from family... you share a driveway. At least we don't share houses anymore.
Daily:

Kid Hauler:

First Love:
RobMinhas

Post by RobMinhas »

Hey guys, looking for some advice

So I have a remote starter(prostart 2 in 1) that I purchased from Canadian tire. It's 2 in 1 so it has the same keychain thing for on/off and lock/unlock. Thing is, my car doesn't have power locks. I found a guy who'll do both the remote start installation and the power locks($80 for the start and $35/hour for the locks, says the total will be around $220). I don't know enough about wiring to install the remote start or power locks myself, and I also don't know what components i need for the power locks. I think i need actuators, but that's all I know. You guys know anything about them? And any of you Calgary guys know where I can get them for a decent price? No shipping if I get it from a store and I want this installed asap hahah winters coming.
Daninski wrote:This is my MX3. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My MX3 is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I master my life. My MX3, without me, is useless. Without my MX3, I am useless. I must fire up my MX3 true. I must drive straighter than any Honda driver who is trying to own me. I must own him before he owns me.
Evo_Spec

Post by Evo_Spec »

RobMinhas wrote:Hey guys, looking for some advice

So I have a remote starter(prostart 2 in 1) that I purchased from Canadian tire. It's 2 in 1 so it has the same keychain thing for on/off and lock/unlock. Thing is, my car doesn't have power locks. I found a guy who'll do both the remote start installation and the power locks($80 for the start and $35/hour for the locks, says the total will be around $220). I don't know enough about wiring to install the remote start or power locks myself, and I also don't know what components i need for the power locks. I think i need actuators, but that's all I know. You guys know anything about them? And any of you Calgary guys know where I can get them for a decent price? No shipping if I get it from a store and I want this installed asap hahah winters coming.
lol what are you talking about, winter's been here for a while already!

anyways, for power locks, yes all you need is actuators (and obviously the remote) which is pretty easy to install.
do you already have the actuators and stuff? maybe you call install them beforehand and just have the guy do the wiring, that'll probably save you some money on time
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

Your passenger side should already be automatic, activated by the DS switch.

An actuator itself shouldn't be that expensive, but setting it up may be more complicated(or less) than you're expecting. There are forums out there that are geared towards this type of work, and they will be very helpful for this.
Daily:

Kid Hauler:

First Love:
Evo_Spec

Post by Evo_Spec »

MrMazda92 wrote:Your passenger side should already be automatic, activated by the DS switch.
his car doesn't power locks so how would the passenger side be automatic? haha
but your right, power lock equipped mx-3 will automatically lock the passenger side when you lock the driver side lock
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Indeed, its called a "follow me" lock.

Super duper handy, especially on the unlock. Girlfriend really appreciates it.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
RobMinhas

Post by RobMinhas »

Evo_Spec wrote: lol what are you talking about, winter's been here for a while already!
Hahah it's barely past -20 yet,, and theres hardly any snow, January is gonna be brutal
Ryan wrote:Indeed, its called a "follow me" lock.

Super duper handy, especially on the unlock. Girlfriend really appreciates it.
Wait, so I only need one actuator? And can you elaborate on how the follow me lock works?
RobMinhas

Post by RobMinhas »

Oh and by the way Shayne, I don't have actuators or anything, I honestly wasn't even sure where to find them until a buddy told me they have them at a Princess auto in the south somewhere.
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

There's an actuator in the passenger door, and a sensor on the driver's side lock. It just relays the information, and the passenger side copies exactly what the drivers side does. It doesn't sense position, it senses change in position, so if you locked it with your new FOB while the passenger door was open, and then someone closes the passenger door, you'd have to hit unlock, then lock again to get it to lock the passenger.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”