MX-3 hits and misses

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
ratheater
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

MX-3 hits and misses

Post by ratheater »

Okay, I bought my 1995 Mazda MX-3 with only 48000 miles. I consider this super low miles for the car. What began as a beater to drive to work or around town has turned into a love relationship. I am beginning to really like this car. However, there are some horrible points about this MX-3.

What I love.
1. The OEM sound system is fantastic, and I am sure that it could be better. For now, it is good.
2. The handling of this car. Corners? What corners.
3. Seating position is awesome.
4. The feel of the steering wheel is great.
5. The trunk room. I recently bought a 50" HDTV and needed to bring it home. When I showed the employee the car that the TV needs to go in, he laughed. Then I opened the hatch with the back seats folded down. I asked him," Not laughing anymore right?" The 50" TV fit. Who's laughing now bi*tch. Got the TV home without a problem.
6. Really love the shape of the MX-3. It's like a Crouching Frog, so my MX-3's nickname is Froggie.
7. Love the simplicity of the interior. Everything is where it should be.

What I am not liking that much.
1. Can I have a wiper with my huge rear window? Holy hell, if it rains, you can forget rear visibility.
2. Circle air vents.
3. Shape of the headlights.
tehbrookzorz

Re: MX-3 hits and misses

Post by tehbrookzorz »

I thought we all had rear wipers, both of my GS cars came with them. Maybe it was only an option on the RS. I'd have to do some digging to find out. Either way, means you could have a rear wiper, but it might take swapping a hatch and running some wire and swapping in some sort of pulse unit and switch...
What's wrong with circle vents? I guess you could swap back to the <94 style dash if you hate them that much. There are threads on here detailing dash swaps.
The overall shape of the headlight, you're kind of stuck with, unless you go crazy with body work. I had "00 Civic headlamps in one of mine for awhile, but that took a lot of tedious grinding to make work. The aftermarket projector headlamps available now are decent, and transform the look of the car a lot IMO. I prefer the one with the horizontal row of LEDs, as I believe they fit better than the other option, but I may be the only one who thinks so.
Cody
Evo_Spec

Post by Evo_Spec »

i think they're on all models in Canada, not positive on that one but i haven't seen a CDM one without one.

i like the 94+ dash's a lot more than the 92-93 dash's, do you hate the circle vents because you can't point them? all you have to do is push them inwards after you point it and it'll stay and not fall down.
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

ratheater wrote: What I am not liking that much.
1. Can I have a wiper with my huge rear window? Holy hell, if it rains, you can forget rear visibility.
2. Circle air vents.
3. Shape of the headlights.
-Your back window must be after market. Go to the pic n pull, get a wiper assemble, have a glass guy cut a hole and install the unit. Me, I never use the rear window, we have side mirrors, learn to use them.
- If you don't like the vents add gauges or tweeters to the vent holes and move on or do some thing really labour intensive like swap dashes for a 92-94 dash.
- Buy spyder projector head lights. A lot of cars have this basic shape, it's cool, embrace it, think about it while having sex, you'll learn to love the shape. :wink:
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
jeffs93toy

Post by jeffs93toy »

My 3 doesnt have a rear wiper either :crying: ... not like I would use it. Once it gets covered in rain i just speed up a little bit :twisted:
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Its for sure an american thing to not have the rear wiper. They had a stock glass without the hole.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
Dark_Rider2k3

Post by Dark_Rider2k3 »

Which also means swapping over the wiring too. No default wiring. My mx didn't even have a fuse installed in the rear wiped slot
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator

Post by Mooneggs »

what exactly do you mean by "shape of the headlights"? The light output or the actual ovalish shape?

I think they match the contour of the other curves on the car quite nicely but I would say they don't have the greatest light output :? A couple of guys have installed 01-03 Civic headlights and kept the angular look on those.
mitmaks

Post by mitmaks »

If you're going fast enough water just hovers over your rear glass and never really touches glass ~60mph.
You can coat back glass with Rain Shield (green can) and it will repel water very well
Headlights are bad for putting out any light through them, get a set of projectors with HIDs
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
ratheater

Post by ratheater »

Oooo, I am not sure if I know how to use the side mirrors, I have to go sit in there and try it out. Thanks.
The three things that I pointed out wasn't much, it was just 3 things that I thought was misses on this car. Nothing bad actually.
mikeinaus
antispam: No

Post by mikeinaus »

the oem sound system is fantastic? really? ive never herd the oem speakers but i assumed they would be horrible like the average car of that era...
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

mikeinaus wrote:the oem sound system is fantastic? really? ive never herd the oem speakers but i assumed they would be horrible like the average car of that era...
Lol, exactly. Those 90's cars speakers and decks were so basic. Howadays a stock system isn't that bad, my X's speakers were already Clarions from the factory and I didn't notice any real difference when I upgraded them until I upgraded again to high-end speakers, but it's the head unit that unlocked the quality out of the factory speakers, but the truck is also a 2003. Those paper cone speakers the cars had back in the 90's are pretty low on the scale of quality.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
ethand

Post by ethand »

I'm also not a fan of the USDM '94+ dash, but thankfully I'm not in the US, so nothing here has that dash! Another thing we aren't blighted with here in Australia is the slow 4cyl version you guys got, and the terribly low levels of equipment which came with it (such as no rear wiper, I'm assuming!). All cars sold here have rear wipers, most had sunroofs, all had the (I think you call it RS?) kit on it (the one with the front lip, mini sides, wraparound spoiler, etc.), fog lights and many other goodies as standard spec! :)
I love love love the headlights, think they really work well with the style of the car, and are a big part of what makes it (along with those strong curves to the side & front)

Congrats on the purchase, though, by the way! well done with such low mileage - score!
'92 JDM Eunos Presso - Zeke
ratheater

Post by ratheater »

mikeinaus wrote:the oem sound system is fantastic? really? ive never herd the oem speakers but i assumed they would be horrible like the average car of that era...
Exactly my point, I thought it was going to suck because I have an opinion about speakers from that era as well. However, when I played a CD, it turned out a lot better than I thought.
Of course it won't compare with speakers from now, but it surprised me.
ratheater

Post by ratheater »

ethand wrote:I'm also not a fan of the USDM '94+ dash, but thankfully I'm not in the US, so nothing here has that dash! Another thing we aren't blighted with here in Australia is the slow 4cyl version you guys got, and the terribly low levels of equipment which came with it (such as no rear wiper, I'm assuming!). All cars sold here have rear wipers, most had sunroofs, all had the (I think you call it RS?) kit on it (the one with the front lip, mini sides, wraparound spoiler, etc.), fog lights and many other goodies as standard spec! :)
I love love love the headlights, think they really work well with the style of the car, and are a big part of what makes it (along with those strong curves to the side & front)

Congrats on the purchase, though, by the way! well done with such low mileage - score!

Okay... I standed around the MX-3 (which I nicknamed Froggie now) for about 30 minutes and really take in the shape and size of the car. I change my mind about the headlights, it works with the car.
I think my car needs a lip kit and a 15" wheel.

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”