How the heck do you remove the rear bumper cover??

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
purplereign2

How the heck do you remove the rear bumper cover??

Post by purplereign2 »

Before you say it, yes, I already looked at the online manual. Some nice diagrams, which I followed... but my bumper cover still won't come off. I looked it up in the Chilton book and I googled it, but I can't find a step by step list of directions. I removed every visible bolt, including the stuff inside the trunk, but it still fills like something is keeping it on. I know at some point it will just be held on by fasteners and I'll have to pull it straight off, but right now it feels like I missed something.

Over the summer I pulled off the front bumper cover using the instructions from the guys at Corksport. There were a couple of spots that I never would have looked but all in all it wasn't that bad.

Anybody have any experience with the rear cover?

And while I'm at it, anybody have any stories about Duraflex stuff? It seems like a solid piece of material but until I get the old cover off, I don't know how well this thing is going to fit.
:shrug: Thanks!
Purple Reign
1993 MX-3 SE Metallic Raspberry
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: How the heck do you remove the rear bumper cover??

Post by Ryan »

There are bolts on the frame rails accessible from underneath. Same as the ones in the trunk, just beneath the trunk floor.

Aside from the wheel well fasteners, and the ones behind the tail lights, just pull.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
mitmaks

Post by mitmaks »

Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
purplereign2

Post by purplereign2 »

Thanks fellas :D

The fist thing that I thought was "man, I've already looked at that friggin diagram!"

But then I kept staring at it to see what bolts that I missed. Finally I realized that there are 3 on each side (in the middle) and I had only removed the four that are in the trunk. The last one on each side is underneath and not obvious. After I took out the last bolts, the bumper was pretty easy to remove. Unlike the front, the back bumper and cover come off together.

Now that I see how it's set up, I'm disappointed that the new Duraflex cover doesn't have any of the brackets that are on the original piece. There's nothing that connects it to the actual bumper! I expected to drill holes but now it looks like I gotta start fabricating stuff like The A Team... :welder:

Sheesh, I really hope this is going to be worth it in the end.
Purple Reign
1993 MX-3 SE Metallic Raspberry
Dark_Rider2k3

Post by Dark_Rider2k3 »

don't forget pics :mrgreen:
mitmaks

Post by mitmaks »

Body kits are crap, take it from me. Been there, done that. They're waste of money and will make you angry when you try to install them, paint them and later on-when they crack
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”