klde swap....speedo and rpm issues

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Clappy

Re: klde swap....speedo and rpm issues

Post by Clappy »

just throwing this out there, but all the GPS' that i've ever owned/used always seem to be able to tell me how fast i'm travelling. Steal a friends GPS for 30 mins and maybe narrow down your estimated travel speed.
-----------------
Tim
09 Dodge Challenger SXT
08 G5 White
93 MX3 SE Red
94 MX3 V6 Black
95 MX3 V6 Blue/purple
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Ryan »

I seriously doubt its clutch issue, if it was slipping that bad you'd totally notice.

It must be a signal issue. I would suggest going through the wiring diagrams and start reverse engineering. the vehicle speed sensor is suspect.

Page 42ish of the wiring diagrams.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
tbondo

Post by tbondo »

I have a 94 MX-3 originally with the B6 5 speed. I swapped in the kl-de from a 97 probe. I am running the engine harness from a 92 mx-3 v6. The engine harness was off of an automatic car. I used the distributor from the 92 mx-3 v6. The ecu is from a 93 probe gts (not sure what model as the sticker is wore off) and the mass air sensor is from the 97 probe (kl-02). I know this is a real cluster of years and parts but that is what I had available. If that is the problem I will have to fix it. I am pretty certain the clutch is not slipping as the car does get up and go if I get on it. Like I said I've had slipping clutches in the past that just make the car rev. The gauges are still from my 94 B6 car but I do still have the GS gauges too. I haven't had a chance to jumper the diagnostic yet but I have to imagine a sensor is not right somewhere.
tbondo

Post by tbondo »

Ryan,
What book are you referring to when you mention page 42ish?
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

http://www.mx-3.com/manuals/index.php

access from the main page

Green GS - Sold.
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
Feedback
_-Night-Shade-_

Post by _-Night-Shade-_ »

tbondo wrote:I have a 94 MX-3 originally with the B6 5 speed. I swapped in the kl-de from a 97 probe. I am running the engine harness from a 92 mx-3 v6. The engine harness was off of an automatic car. I used the distributor from the 92 mx-3 v6. The ecu is from a 93 probe gts (not sure what model as the sticker is wore off) and the mass air sensor is from the 97 probe (kl-02). I know this is a real cluster of years and parts but that is what I had available. If that is the problem I will have to fix it. I am pretty certain the clutch is not slipping as the car does get up and go if I get on it. Like I said I've had slipping clutches in the past that just make the car rev. The gauges are still from my 94 B6 car but I do still have the GS gauges too. I haven't had a chance to jumper the diagnostic yet but I have to imagine a sensor is not right somewhere.
Okay so now I'm curious how you wired up the transmission, seeing as your harness was from an automatic. The 94 RS gauges work with the 92 GS harness?
--------------------------------------------
[WORKLOG] [FOR SALE] [Wishlist] [Feedback]
tbondo

Post by tbondo »

All the gauges work except the speedo. The 5 speed tranny really doesn't have any electrical besides the neutral and reverse switches (currently not wired doesn't cause any problems) and the speed sensor which isn't working right now. I haven't figured that one out yet. The automatic has way more electrical which is on a separate harness that I didn't include in my swap.
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

You'll want your transmission electrical working, it affects your idle, your reverse lights, and ultimately your fuel milage.

Green GS - Sold.
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
Feedback
cWs306

Post by cWs306 »

1500-1600 rpms with a mx-3 tranny in 5th is 50km'h/30mph. at 3000-3500 you should be doing about 100-110km/h-60mph. i got no speedo either, did my cluster and now it wont work. rpms work tho.
tbondo

Post by tbondo »

Now you've got me confused again.....how would the neutral safety switch and the reverse switch have anything to do with general running of the motor? I understand the speed sensor in the tranny is affecting things but I don't think the others are. Those are the only 3 sensors that I can remember in my tranny.
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

neutral switch contributes to the A/F at idle. This will affect your MPG.

Reverse switch operates your reverse lights. I dunno about you, but I like seeing where I'm going.

Green GS - Sold.
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
Feedback
tbondo

Post by tbondo »

Well I jumpered my diagnostic today and it appears my problems are coming from the distributor. I have 2 codes coming from it one being a ground issue and the other being a "No 2 signal". I also have the speed sensor and the front o2 sensor throwing codes. Time to start searching for the disty issues.
cWs306

Post by cWs306 »

check if the distys plugged in allll the way. i had problems when i forgot to click the plug.. and the ground issue follow the wiring harness from the disty there will be a little ring thing on the end of a wire.. thats your ground. i got mine RIGHT to the frame. holds the wiring harness in nice and snug too. and o2 sensors.. www.rockauto.com buy new ones.
tbondo

Post by tbondo »

I'm back with some more questions. I have done some trouble shooting and testing on my crank sensor and my distributor. All my grounds seem to be working properly and all the plugs are plugged in. I continue to get a 01, 03, and 04 code from my 93 probe ecu. From what I have found online these refer to the crank sensors. I did some looking in my haynes manual and followed the tests they explain to see if the sensors are functioning properly. The crank sensor on the crank ohms at the specified 550 and the distributor voltage spikes as it states in the book when rotated. Does anyone have any ideas on why these codes may be popping up? The car is running poorly and like I've previously said I drive 30mph in 5th gear at ~3500 rpm. Thanks
Inodoro Pereyra

Post by Inodoro Pereyra »

Remember: the ECU doesn't see the sensor, it sees the sensor's circuit. The fact that you got a CEL doesn't mean the sensor is bad, it means the ECU is getting a bad reading from that sensor's circuit.
Check the plugs and wires. It doesn't matter that all the sensors are plugged in, Mazda-Ford plugs are especially crappy. Make sure every sensor is making PERFECT contact, all the way to its assigned pin on the ECU header.
If everything is good, check that the mechanism that activates the sensor (for example, the star wheel for the crankshaft sensor #2) is in perfect shape, and the sensor is delivering a good, strong signal (you will need an oscilloscope for that. Sorry).

Either way, I don't thing it'll get to that. The #1 cause of electrical failures when swapping engines are harness false contacts.
Check all the wires and plugs, and, if you see anything even slightly suspicious, give the plugs a thorough clean up with contact cleaner, and make sure all contacts are tight,
U28sIG5vdyB5b3UgYWxzbyBrbm93IGJhc2UgNjQuLi5odWg/DQpTSE9XIE9GRiEhIQ==

"The more I know man, the more I love my dog."

Diogenes of Sinope.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”