Which oil would suite my car best

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
MadsHilde
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Which oil would suite my car best

Post by MadsHilde »

I am truly sorry for posting this questions as I know it has probably been answered a 100 times on this forum. I just can't really find the answer when I search.

Well, when I change oil I use these two products to get rid of the ticking:
http://www.fordprobestore.co.uk/store/p ... ts_id=1683
http://www.fordprobestore.co.uk/store/p ... ucts_id=94

But what oil would suit my car best? I have tried different ones, but since I don't know much about cars I'm not quite sure which one I should stick with.
Owner of an Mx3 V6 95'
Inodoro Pereyra

Re: Which oil would suite my car best

Post by Inodoro Pereyra »

I'd recommend you to stop using them and just fix the ticking.
Ryan has a great write up on how to replace the friction gear springs. Shouldn't take you more than a couple of hours, and very little money.
U28sIG5vdyB5b3UgYWxzbyBrbm93IGJhc2UgNjQuLi5odWg/DQpTSE9XIE9GRiEhIQ==

"The more I know man, the more I love my dog."

Diogenes of Sinope.
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

If it's the HLA's that are ticking I found using synthetic oil specifically AMSOIL has really made my engine sound much smoother with virtually no HLA noise at all.
Now if it's not your HLA's or the friction gear springs it could be your timing belt adjuster as the source of your ticking.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
MadsHilde

Post by MadsHilde »

I am pretty sure it's the HLA, but I can't really say for sure. I will pretty soon change the timing belt as my car is rounding the 100.000km, don't know if that'll make any difference.

But when I add those two treatments I mentioned and change the oil, the ticking goes away for a couple of months, what does that tell you?
Owner of an Mx3 V6 95'
Inodoro Pereyra

MadsHilde wrote: But when I add those two treatments I mentioned and change the oil, the ticking goes away for a couple of months, what does that tell you?
It tells me it's the HLAs. If it was the timing belt tensioner, replacing the oil would have no effect on the noise, and that additive would probably make FGS noise worse.
It does sound strange that an engine with only 100,000 km would have HLA problems. Maybe the previous owner didn't take care of it properly...:(

Diogenes of Sinope.
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Try an oil flush, could be your engine's a little gummed up.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
MadsHilde

Post by MadsHilde »

Inodoro Pereyra wrote:
MadsHilde wrote: But when I add those two treatments I mentioned and change the oil, the ticking goes away for a couple of months, what does that tell you?
It tells me it's the HLAs. If it was the timing belt tensioner, replacing the oil would have no effect on the noise, and that additive would probably make FGS noise worse.
It does sound strange that an engine with only 100,000 km would have HLA problems. Maybe the previous owner didn't take care of it properly...:(
I don't really know, it's an import from Switzerland. I did not import it myself but I know that the lady who had it before me actually never really drove in it, the car was just garaged for a very long time, years.
But if I am to fix this ticking it's going to get quite expensive, I guess.

I only paid 8000$ for the car, which is really cheap for a car like that, here in Denmark. I had one just like it before this one. It had 186.000km on the clock and for that, I paid the double.
Owner of an Mx3 V6 95'
MadsHilde

Post by MadsHilde »

Daninski wrote:Try an oil flush, could be your engine's a little gummed up.
That's the one I have linked to in my first post, use that every time.
Owner of an Mx3 V6 95'
Inodoro Pereyra

MadsHilde wrote: But if I am to fix this ticking it's going to get quite expensive, I guess.
Hmmm...No way for me to know.
One of the many things I learned in this forum is that machining costs vary wildly from city to city, even here in the US.
HLA's are little less than $30 a piece here (at rockauto.com), so if you wanted to replace all 24 of them, it would definitely be more expensive than it's worth.
One option you could consider is to swap your engine for a KL one. They tend to be fairly cheap (at least here, in Miami, you can get a KL-DE or G4 for about $150-200), they have more power (up to 174HP on the Millenia KL-DE or the KL-G4), and it's a lot easier to find parts for them.

Either way, sooner or later you will have to take care of the problem. That additive you're using is just masking it.

Diogenes of Sinope.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”