Slow window, can I oil them?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
MadsHilde
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Slow window, can I oil them?

Post by MadsHilde »

The window in the drivers side is pretty slow when it comes to the last inch or two. It is an electronic window. Can i oil something to make it run more smooth?

Thanks in advance...

Oh, and my sunroof also very seldom won't open by itself but needs a gentle push. Is it a worn motor or can I oil it so it opens better?
Owner of an Mx3 V6 95'
johnmx3ze

Re: Slow window, can I oil them?

Post by johnmx3ze »

i have the same problem!!!
mx-3, KL turbo (tooo much to list) yeah its boosted!
worklog====> http://mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=67582" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
cardomain==> http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3869504/1 ... awks-on-ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Inodoro Pereyra

Post by Inodoro Pereyra »

On the windows it's either lack of lubricant (grease) on the motor/regulator, or the plastic guides for the glass are worn out. You can take the regulator off and lubricate it, or you can replace the guides. I wouldn't recommend you to lubricate the guides, unless you're sure you will NEVER wear light colored clothes in the car... :wink:

As per the sunroof, it's an endless PITA. I had that same problem with my MX-6. I would take the whole mechanism off the car, and it'd work perfectly, and then, when back in the car, I had to push it by hand. Never got to fixing it properly. Sorry.
U28sIG5vdyB5b3UgYWxzbyBrbm93IGJhc2UgNjQuLi5odWg/DQpTSE9XIE9GRiEhIQ==

"The more I know man, the more I love my dog."

Diogenes of Sinope.
davmac

Post by davmac »

A bit of an echo of Inodoro post:
For windows the cheap fix is silicone spray into the window channel directly on the rubber. The idea is to lubricate the window channel so the weak motor / regulator will have the power to move the window. I've had success spraying silicone lube into the window channel without removing the door card - but removing the door card gives more access and might help you to spray the lube where it is needed most. This is often a temporary fix until you're forced to buy new motor / window regulator.

I had excellent results using spray lithium grease on my sunroof drive cable. It is a spiral cable that runs through a tube. I had removed the headliner for another reason and was able to remove the sunroof motor gear box cover to gain access to the drive cable. I sprayed the cable, moved the roof manually to spray more of the cable and worked the sunroof open and closed until it moved easily. As result My sunroof has been working nicely for 2+ years.
Proud owner of a Faded Red 92 MX-3 GS
Sleeper6

Post by Sleeper6 »

Ik you have a 95 but I would check this out, most likely culprit

http://mx-3.com/tsb/S004-94.gif
92 GS gold (driver) worklog> http://mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=73405" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
93 GS red (wrecked)
:D I modify my ride so I can drive around the stupid people :D
PATDIESEL

Post by PATDIESEL »

Other than Sleeper's reply I would suggest replacing the channel and belt-line seals, they loose the felt from friction of the window rubbing all the time. Thus you are left with rubber grabbing the window while it goes up and down slowing its progress. I greased mine a few times before giving up and replacing the seals. It cost about 150 for both channel and belt trim seals at Mazda and was pretty worth it. While they are still not as fast as Jaydog5678's 94, which has been pretty much garage kept all its life, they are faster than before and do not require my helping them up at the top of the assent.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
MadsHilde

Post by MadsHilde »

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll see if I can find the right products here in Denmark and then start operation "smoooth window".
Owner of an Mx3 V6 95'
Inodoro Pereyra

Post by Inodoro Pereyra »

davmac wrote:A bit of an echo of Inodoro post:

I had excellent results using spray lithium grease on my sunroof drive cable. It is a spiral cable that runs through a tube. I had removed the headliner for another reason and was able to remove the sunroof motor gear box cover to gain access to the drive cable. I sprayed the cable, moved the roof manually to spray more of the cable and worked the sunroof open and closed until it moved easily. As result My sunroof has been working nicely for 2+ years.
And now you tell me... :crying: :crying:
U28sIG5vdyB5b3UgYWxzbyBrbm93IGJhc2UgNjQuLi5odWg/DQpTSE9XIE9GRiEhIQ==

"The more I know man, the more I love my dog."

Diogenes of Sinope.
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

I give my sunroof the finger as a point of habit in both my MX3 and MX6 to assist it opening. I just do it knowing the cars are getting older and I don't want problems to start. Sleeper6 good info thanks a lot, I didn't know about that.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
cWs306

Post by cWs306 »

my sunroof stick's when i go to open it too, but mine are the seals.. once they get warm they stick, winter time it open's like a charm no hands nothing(unless its frozen)

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”