my Maza is slow *sob*

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
kieral

my Maza is slow *sob*

Post by kieral »

I have a 1991 Mazda Autozam AZ3 -I think it's called a MX3?<P>Anyway it's a slow car Image<BR>4 piston, 1498cc DOHC Auto<P>My question -can I get an engine drop of a 1.8l DOHC? or any other motor which will fit in without need new engine mounts etc? I just want to bolt in a bigger engine Image<P>What can I do 2 get any more power? <P>THANKS Image
-== he who laughs last .... thinks the slowest ==-
Raivynn

Re: my Maza is slow *sob*

Post by Raivynn »

Well, hate to break it to you, but I have the EXACT same problem as you do. 1.6L DOHC 4cyl. engine? 88HP? Start with the intake and exhaust before going thru the expense of dropping a new engine in that thing. Save you a lot of money. Plus, I've been told it's not a very good idea to put a V-6 in the 4cyl. models just because they're not built to tolerate the strain a V-6 would put on them, or at least that's what I was told. If you really want to get it going....bolt you up a turbo. It'll end up costing a little more (around $3,000 for a base price), but it will be better for the car.<P>Have fun with the thing!! <BR>Raivynn<P>------------------<BR>Zoom Zoom Zoom
fieval79
Supporting Member

Post by fieval79 »

If you have the 1.6l DOHC you have 105hp!! If you have the 1.6l SOHC you have 88hp!!!<P>I have the DOHC, and I don't believe my car to be "slow". I could be much faster......but I think it's just fine for now. <P>John
94mx3rsr

Post by 94mx3rsr »

My mx3 4-cyl dohc has a few basic mods on it....like a full exhaust line with cat 2'1/4 and an intake and 1&2 i am flat out equal with my friend's 6-cyl....both cars are in tip-top condition! 3 he passes me very slowly.....4 same thing.........<P>i've tried it many times and even though the 6-cyl feels much faster from inside it isn't!
Jean-Michel Basque
STOCK BPT @ 8.5PSI
3 RUNS ON THE 1/4 = 14.85 @ 96
kieral

Post by kieral »

You sure it's a 1.6 cuz I saw somewhere it saying 1498cc ...as in 1.498 not 1.6 ..or is 1.6 the general "slag" for the motor?
94mx3rsr

Post by 94mx3rsr »

In canada we have 105hp 1.6l dohc.
Jean-Michel Basque
STOCK BPT @ 8.5PSI
3 RUNS ON THE 1/4 = 14.85 @ 96
-=deathtrap-mx3=-

Post by -=deathtrap-mx3=- »

um 1.6 is how many liters the engine is. 1498cc is the hp but in cc's. the 1498cc doesn't reflect the liters. the amount of power each liter produces makes the 1498cc or 88hp. this means each liter produces 55 hp.
Looking for a 94+GS for KL-ZE fun :)
02 Protege DX Retired
93 MX-3 RS Gone But Not Forgotten
GoA-BoY

Post by GoA-BoY »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by -=deathtrap-mx3=-<BR><B>um 1.6 is how many liters the engine is. 1498cc is the hp but in cc's. the 1498cc doesn't reflect the liters.</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Unfortunately, deathtrap is INCORRECT.<P>1000cc (cubic centimeters) is the equivalent of 1 liter. They're both metric units for volume/displacement but are used in different contexts. A 1498cc engine would round up to 1.5L.<P>This is not an accurate indication of horsepower. For example... in North America, there were two 4-cyl engines for the MX-3 (depending on the year). Both were approximately 1600cc but one was rated<BR>at 88hp and the other at 105hp. This was due to other factors in its design, not just its size.<P>We didn't have the AZ-3/MX-3 here in North America for the 1991 model year so obviously<BR>this car isn't in North America. For whatever reason, different engines may have been offered abroad.<P>Good luck.<P><B><I>PS:</I></B> Horsepower is not a metric unit (it's an old Imperial unit). The metric equivalent would be watts or kilowatts (kW). "Horsepower" sounds cooler though.<BR><P>------------------<BR><B><A HREF="http://www.mp3.com/nealpinto" TARGET=_blank>¡¡LISTEN TO MY MUSIC!!</A></B>
<B><A HREF="http://www.mp3.com/nealpinto" TARGET=_blank>¡¡LISTEN TO MY MUSIC!!</A></B>
kieral

Post by kieral »

Arh crap!!<BR>no wonder my az3 is so gutt-less -it can get up to 180km/p (about 115mph)but takes for ever!!<BR>dumb!! doesn't anyone else have a japanese az3 with a 1.5l 4 cyl engine ? damn damn damn!! Image<BR>Arh well -I'll drive it into the ground and when it dies I'll get a GSR Lancer or VR4 or something Image<P>:*( 1.5 *sob* life isn't fair!!
diachap
antispam: No

Post by diachap »

Hi… that was great stuff..
Sisko182
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Sisko182 »

diachap wrote:Hi… that was great stuff..
This is a joke, right? :confused2:
$i$Ko

Ride:
1992 Midnight Purple MX-3
Worklog:

viewtopic.php?f=46&t=75646

Feedback
viewtopic.php?f=37&t=76781
RS_OBD'oh_2

Post by RS_OBD'oh_2 »

lol 10 year old post for the win. That's got to be a record
cWs306

Post by cWs306 »

oldest post ive seen yet! cool.
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

At least he appears to be reading about engine swaps before asking the questions. Not the worst first post he could have made by a long shot.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Sisko182

Post by Sisko182 »

wytbishop wrote:At least he appears to be reading about engine swaps before asking the questions. Not the worst first post he could have made by a long shot.
Not to mention it was just good stuff...
$i$Ko

Ride:
1992 Midnight Purple MX-3
Worklog:

viewtopic.php?f=46&t=75646

Feedback
viewtopic.php?f=37&t=76781

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”