Help me tune my ZE.

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
hgallegos915

Re: Help me tune my ZE.

Post by hgallegos915 »

I think the K8 manifold and that ECU are the culprit. Yes knock sensor makes it go into limp mode.

When I replaced my knock sensor I remember removing the intake manifold and the pipe in the middle of the engine. I did not have to remove the colant housing tho. I had to use tiny 10mm wrenches and carefully remove the bolts.

The sensor was rusted, I made an o2 socket; i think 17mm or so. I cut it with a grinder on the side and walla it came out. New sensor from autozone, I bought the probe gt sensor because for some stupid reason its cheaper than the k8 sensor... :/ its the SAME thing same voltage and all...

If the knock sensor code is there replace it. GET RID OF THE K8 MANIFOLD.

I had shitty gas mileage when I had the k8 ecu and k8 manifold on my ze.. not to mention it was WAY slower. Millenia curved neck and kl31/ kl36 ecu ftw.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
greenstorm

Post by greenstorm »

so I got 26mpg on the last tank. not as bad as I thought.

mostly highway miles tho :(
what kind of car IS that?
greenstorm

Post by greenstorm »

so I really don't have the money to fix all this crap. ugh. this things my only form of transportation. :(

if i put my k8 injectors on it as is will I get better gas mileage and not kill it if im not pulling off redline touching shifts?

this sounds pretty stupid to me, but I'm wondering if anyone's tried it.
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

greenstorm wrote:so I really don't have the money to fix all this crap. ugh. this things my only form of transportation. :(

if i put my k8 injectors on it as is will I get better gas mileage and not kill it if im not pulling off redline touching shifts?

this sounds pretty stupid to me, but I'm wondering if anyone's tried it.
Well, ironing out a motor swap cost money. Should of stuck with the K8 if you can't budget in fixing your ZE to run right. I had a buddy with a Lexus, had to sell it as-is cause he didn't want (or couldn't afford) to replace the $400 (or $175 in the US) ABS sensor, so he took a $4000 hit on the market value of the car...

I don't think anyone had tried it, but really, what would be the point? I could see the ECU being more happy, kinda, but it's probably going to get confused as why the VAF is saying that the motor is pulling in 2500cc of air instead of 1800, if it will read that properly. I just hope it just doesn't run lean on you and cause damage, especially at WOT, hoping that the ECU and the 02's are smart enough to compensate....or if those 180cc injectors can keep up, unless you burn them out running them at 100% duty cycle often.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

I suggest you do a [WTB] curved neck ZE (millenia) manifold and see if anyone offers one up at a reasonable price.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Ryan »

ZE manifolds are like the plague on PT. KLG4 will suit you too. only 50ish RPM off of the DE VRIS points.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
greenstorm

Post by greenstorm »

yeah, I'd better not try it. It was my project car for awhile, when I could afford to put money into it, I'd finish it and drive it...

but things happen and now this is my only mode of transportation. The economy sucks and my BS degree isn't worth s--- now. ugh.

I can't even afford to swap the friggin knock sensors because I'd have to get an o2 socket and an IM gasket. life is tough sometimes.

anyone want to trade me a econo beater for this project? lol jk. I'm venting a bit. Thanks for all the help, everyone.
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

You can make the socket with a grinder, and you don't need to replace the I/M gasket....

Green GS - Sold.
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
Feedback
greenstorm

Post by greenstorm »

Yeah, I think I'm going to have to. I've tried every tool known to man, and the people at the auto parts store looked at me like "I don't think that part is supposed to be removed"

I have an old knock sensor in the old engine that is laying in my garage. Can't move it at all. Do you remember what size socket you made? It has to be bigger than the O2....which is what... 21mm? I'll have to buy a long socket just for this.

Every stupid thing on this car infuriates me. Can't they make ONE THING SIMPLE?
greenstorm

Post by greenstorm »

btw what is KLG4?
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

IIRC its 15/16.

and a KLG4 is a 2002+ 626 engine with coil packs, a special manifold, perhaps special pistons, lightweight crank, and KL01 cams. Makes 170 hp.

Green GS - Sold.
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
Feedback
greenstorm

Post by greenstorm »

No way that's 15/16, lol. It must be a different one than mine? (92)

O2 is 7/8" and that one doesn't fit on. thats like...22?

I wonder if there is a special mazda tool.....

Why can't they just make things simple?
MrMazda92
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Post by MrMazda92 »

greenstorm wrote:I wonder if there is a special mazda tool.....

Why can't they just make things simple?
They want you to take it to a dealership.
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Deleted: VAF/Power Steering/Air Conditioning/EGR/ABS/Auto Seatbelts/etc
greenstorm

Post by greenstorm »

I have dreams where I'm staring at something stupid like this and just cursing up a storm and throwing tools around.

And when I look behind me, theres 100 mazda engineers laughing at me out loud and giving each other high fives.
MrMazda92
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Post by MrMazda92 »

greenstorm wrote:I have dreams where I'm staring at something stupid like this and just cursing up a storm and throwing tools around.

And when I look behind me, theres 100 mazda engineers laughing at me out loud and giving each other high fives.
For every 100 Mazda Engineers, 3 are really Porsche :lol:
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Deleted: VAF/Power Steering/Air Conditioning/EGR/ABS/Auto Seatbelts/etc

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”