How to add Horsepower. The K-series way.

Why does my engine tick? How do I swap? All common V6 questions answered in this archive only forum.
muttpower
antispam: No

How to add Horsepower. The K-series way.

Post by muttpower »

This post is intended as a FAQ for anyone searching this topic in the Forum (but then again, what are the odds of a New-B using the search function) But for informational purposes, this post will be divided into 3 main sections; Engine Swap, Forced Induction, and Misc.

1) ENGINE SWAP

*KLZE-Brings your MX-3 from 130 Horsepower with it's stock K8 motor to 198 Horsepower. Swapping a K8 out to a KL is a fairly simple, bolt on job.
*KLDE-Brings your stock GS from 130 Horsepower to 160ish Horsepower, depending on which one you use:
California Spec - 160hp
Probe/Mx6/626 - 165hp
Millenia - 170hp
*KLG4-Up to 170hp + solid lifters.

KL Swap Info--http://www.mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=34783
http://www.atlantamx3.com/mocaforum/vie ... 07fecde92b

2) FORCED INDUCTION

*NITROUS OXIDE-Best bang for our buck, as always. There are numerous brands of both dry and wet kits, available in either direct port or fogger configurations, which can add anywhere from 35 to 150 Horsepower on up, depending on the set up, and the state of tune of your motor. Most MX3's have safely run up to a 75 shot with no issues.
*TURBOCHARGER-Although set up can be labor intensive, there are a few kits available for the Ford Probe GT/Mazda MX6, which will work for the MX3 with slight modification. Depending on the set up and other variables, to include boost level, fuel/engine management, and wheather the engine has been built,etc, gains can be virtually unlimited.
*SUPERCHARGER-A few people have attempted this option with good results, however, set up can be just as, if not more labor intensive as a turbo set up. To my knowledge, there are no direct bolt on kits available, thus everything would have to be fabricated. Horsepower gains, as with the turbo set up, depends on multiple variables, and can be virtually limitless.
*ELECTRIC SUPERCHARGER-There are a few electric supercharger set ups that can genuinely add horsepower, such as Thomas Knight kits, or ERAM kits. Both have their own websites with a plethera of information. Just steer clear of other "EBAY" electric supercharger kits, which usually end up consisting of nothing more that a bulge pump, and are worthless.

Forced Induction Forum--http://www.mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewforum.php?f=19
Thomas Knight Electric Superchargers--http://www.boosthead.com/
ERAM Website--http://www.electricsupercharger.com/
Supercharger Build--http://www.mazdamaniac.com/oldsite/boost/how.htm

3) MISC
*TRUE COLD AIR INTAKE-Kits can be fabricated quite easily, and gains are typically minimal; anywhere from 1 to 8 horsepower, depending on set up.
CAI How to--http://www.mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.ph ... cai+how+to

*EXHAUST-There are a few aftermarket kits available, or they can be fabricated using universal tubing and a decent muffler. Gains are usually between 2 and 5 Horsepower.

*HEADERS-There are multiple headers available from pacesetter, ss autochrome, hurricane, and even Ebay, for the Fort Probe GT/MazdaMX6, which work for the MX3 with slight modification. (Typically, the Cat-convertor needs to be pushed back a few inches) Gains are typically between 4 and 8 horsepower. http://www.mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=38859

*THERMO INTAKE/THROTTLE BODY SPACERS-Available from Outlaw Engineering, these are a direct bolt on, which reduces intake heat transfer, and thus lowers intake air temps, resulting in gains between 2 and 10 horsepower, depending on your engines level of modification. The Outlaw kits also come with a coolant bypass kit for the throttle body, which also aids in lowering intake temps.
http://www.outlawengineering.com/MazdaK ... Frame.html

*UNDERDRIVE CRANK PULLEY-Available from unorthodox racing, and various Ebay sellers, these free up existing horsepower lost to parisitic drag by underdriving the crank, and weight reduction. Gains are typically minimal, usually between 1 and 5 Horsepower, and their use has been the topic of contriversy, as there are un-substantiated claims that their use can lead to premature rotating assembly failure.
http://www.unorthodoxracing.com/product ... TEGORYID=2
http://www.mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.ph ... ys#p579876

*UNIVERSAL GROUND WIRE KIT- There are multiple kits available from manufacturers, such as HKS, etc. Usually coupled with a Voltage stabelizer, gains are minimal, between 0 and 2 Horsepower.
http://www.corksport.com/autoexe-earth- ... rrency=USD

*CAT DELETE/TEST PIPE-Though not legal unless used for "off road/racing" purposes, installation is typically straight forward, and can net gains from 3-6 Horsepower. Keep in mind, removal of the cat convertor can guarentee that your mx3 will fail emmisions testing, so if you live in an area where this is required, beware...

*INTAKE/HEAD PORT MATCHING-most automotive machine shops can do this, or you can do it yourself using your intake manifold gasket as a template.

*Synthetic Oil-Though not a true MOD, switching over to synthetic fluids can reduce power loss due to friction and heat, freeing up between 1 and 3 horsepower.

*DEI CRY 02-Available from DEI, these kits use carbon dioxide, sprayed trhough various kit attachments such as and Intake collar, fuel rail bars, and intercooler spray bars, lowering intake and fuel temps, resulting in a more dense air/fuel charge, thus increasing horsepower. Though highest gains can be seen when coupled with a forced induction set up, gains can still be seen with a naturally aspirated motor as well. Just beware, that if the system leaks CO2 into the intake air steam, you'll end up with massive horsepower loss...
http://www.designengineering.com/catalo ... components

*WHEEL/TIRE SELECTION-Yes, that's right, wheels and tires...Though this doesn't add any horsepower, a set of lighter weight wheels and tires reduces the farthest side of the vehicles rotating mass, thus freeing up a few horsepower at the wheels. Just a bit of advice, going with a set of, oh, I dont know, Gram Lites Optise 17's would be benificial...but going with a set of 22 inch chrome bling blang blahhhhhh...yeah, not so benificial.

*LIGHTENED/LIGHTWEIGHT FLYWHEEL-Either having your stock K8 Flywheel machined, or purchasing an aftermarker lightweight flywheel can result in less rotating mass at the crankshaft, thus freeing up a few horsepower, to the same affect as lightweight wheels/tires, and Underdrive pulleys.
http://www.redlinemotive.com/part-numbe ... /sz32a.asp

*EXHAUST CUTOUT-Depending on where it's placed, it can actually be legal(ie, if its placed after the cat) Again, depending on the level of modification of your MX3, gains can be similar to, well, removing your exhaust...only legal. Depending on whether the set up is mechanical or electronic, pricing can go anywhere from $50 to $200.
http://www.summitracing.com/search/Part ... t-Cutouts/

*FILLED MOTOR MOUNTS-Yes, this is a stretch, but technically, stiffer motor mounts lead to less power lost through vibration and flex, thus resulting in more power to the wheels. Though, depending on whether you plan on using your car as a dedicated track vehicle, or a daily driver, be careful how stiff you make your mounts. There is such thing as too stiff, which will result in very annoying vibration in the cabin. Even at best, gains are still minimal.
http://www.energysuspensionparts.com/pr ... rod=DIYMMI

*BALANCING ROTATING ASSEMBLY-As pointed out by MrMazda92, this is quite often overlooked. Again, though costly, this modification will more than pay for itself down the road on high horsepower builds in term of efficiency and durability. Balancing the Rotating assembly(ie crankshaft, rods, etc) reduces the vibration or harmonics which natrually occur with any internal combustion engine, thus resulting in less drive train loss, and more horsepower to the wheels.

*SPARK PLUGS/CABLES/IGNITION-Upgrading the stock plugs and wires wont exactly "add" any horsepower, but it will allow your engine set up to be used to its full potential. A more steady, larger spark can ensure a more complete ignition of the air/fuel mixture, thus maximizing potential horsepower. Upgrading to a MSD type Multiple Spark system can further ensure complete ignition.
Last edited by muttpower on June 4th, 2011, 11:55 am, edited 12 times in total.
1992 MX3 GS (My Project Toy)
K8DE, see web site...too many mods to list, but still growing.
2006 Dodge Durango (The Family-Mobile)
Every time you race a Honda Civic, a kitten kills a retard.
muttpower

Re: How can I add Horsepower to my Mazda MX-3 GS V6???

Post by muttpower »

I know I missed a few things, so please feel free to let me know, and I'll add/edit the post as needed....these were the ones I could think of off the top of my Melon...
Sleeper6
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Sleeper6 »

muttpower wrote:I know I missed a few things, so please feel free to let me know, and I'll add/edit the post as needed....these were the ones I could think of off the top of my Melon...
You forgot stickers and speed tape :lol:

More serious note though, you might want to add exhaust cut-outs to your list, they can be done pretty cheap to pretty pricey depending on what/where you want to put them. A simple setup post cat is perfectly legal and would only cost about $50 all said and done to a more elaborate electronic setup on an rpm switch that could run about $200
92 GS gold (driver) worklog> http://mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=73405" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
93 GS red (wrecked)
:D I modify my ride so I can drive around the stupid people :D
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Everyone knows the search function here isn't the best. I usually Google stuff. I just input 'increase horsepower GS V6' and a few variations on that and your post never came up. Suggest you tweak the Title so it's more search friendly. example; would someone search 'add horsepower' or 'increase horsepower'. I think your write up is great and it would be too bad if no one ever benefited because the Search never found it. :D
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
muttpower

Re: How can I increase Horsepower to my Mazda MX-3 GS V6???

Post by muttpower »

Sleep, thanks for the info...like I said, I know I forgot quite a few things, like the fact that lambo doors add like 2000 horsepower :lol:
and Dan, thanks for the tip. I'll work with the title and see what works best. Yes, my laziness extends so far that I can't even spell out your names completely. Or maybe it's just lack of sleep since I'm on 24 hour duty again...
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

KLZE - 198hp

KLDE
California Spec - 160hp
Probe/Mx6/626 - 165hp
Millenia - 170hp

KLG4
170hp + solid lifters
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
muttpower

Post by muttpower »

:bump: A little late, but updated finally. Thanks nd4spdse...
muttpower

Re: I want to go faster....with NOS. Hellaflush yo...

Post by muttpower »

Edited title to appeal to younger crowd :lol:
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

For the Title you forgot to add, "slamming your sheet will make you badazz" :P
Last edited by Daninski on May 25th, 2011, 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

Good post, there'll always be more to add though!

I'd like to point out an often overlooked part of any performance build, balancing the rotating assembly.

Pros:
Reduces wear/tear over time
Frees up horsepower(Increasing drivetrain efficiency) - Ever wonder why some cars dyno 200 BHP and 185 WHP while others dyno 200 BHP and 160 WHP? Balancing is a portion of this, the rest being farther "downstream" in the drivetrain.
Looks really good on anyone's modlist

Cons:
You have to tear your engine apart
Money(Not a wallet ripper, but we're all digging in couch cushions these days already...)

I might add, nobody here(or on ProbeTalk) ever talks about balancing camshafts... it's beyond me why it never comes up in the threads regarding balancing rotating assemblies. Especially considering how ridged and bumpy our camshafts are. Polish, shine, balance... Could free up a little more huh? This particular balancing can be pretty expensive, as many shops won't even do it.

The #1 most important thing in any performance build(unless you're obscenely wealthy...) is weighing cost and benefit. If it would cost you $600 for rims that are 2.5 pounds lighter than your stockers... spend the $600 on Megasquirt, a rebuild kit, and if you have a few bucks left buy a pine tree air freshener. They're nice in ANY car. :)
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Deleted: VAF/Power Steering/Air Conditioning/EGR/ABS/Auto Seatbelts/etc
muttpower

Post by muttpower »

Updated...Thanks MrMazda92...
Pritchett

Re: How to add Horsepower. The K-series way.

Post by Pritchett »

Just an idea...Maybe you should state the things you will need with the engine swaps to get that HP. Cause AFAIK dropping in a KLZE with stock K8 ECU, Exhaust, and intake will only get you 170ish instead of the 198 the engine makes at peak performance. The KLDE would probably only make 140ish without the right stuff <--- Totally guessing. Anyway I thought it would be better to give more precise details involving the swap. :shrug:
93 mx-3 GS (KLZE w/kl01 cams, XTD stage 3 clutch, Outlaw intake/throttle body spacers, throttle body coolant delete, headers, full 2.5" exhaust w/resonator and 40 series flowmaster, filled engine mounts)
99 silverado
muttpower

Post by muttpower »

Meh...just listing the things people could do. If they do decide to swap, then there are tons of posts on this site alone listing what one would need for a swap....
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

Great thread, you've put in some leg work and it looks like some good tips are creeping out of the woodwork too!
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Deleted: VAF/Power Steering/Air Conditioning/EGR/ABS/Auto Seatbelts/etc
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Just a heads up, but deleting the cat in my province is legal on a pre 1995 vehicle, don't even need it for safety.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback

Return to “V6 FAQ”