'93 MX-3 New Owner, need help!

Other - General Mazda Discussions
jollyrancher
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

'93 MX-3 New Owner, need help!

Post by jollyrancher »

Hey everyone, newbie here if you couldn't tell. Just purchased a highly modded '93 MX-3 and I, to be honest, don't know much about mods. I know what I have.. KLZE 2.7 stroker kit engine. Mechanic said both my belts (alternator & power steering) need to be replaced. The guy I bought it from said ask for ford probe parts, but the parts store is giving me a hard time with the year and how its a 2.7 L, not 2.5 L. I know probe could be '93-'97, right? Will the belt work if I just say its a 2.5 L engine?

I searched the forums (and google :) )and couldn't find info. Thanks in advance for help!
Sleeper6

Re: '93 MX-3 New Owner, need help!

Post by Sleeper6 »

To start with ask for parts for a 93 probe gt 2.5l. The internal displacement, IF its actually been done, will not make a diffenece on the belts as its still a 2.5L block originally. Secondly just out of curiousity what documentation do you have on the engine as I have yet to hear of a 2.7l stroker kit, that would be quite interesting to see what company is offering a line like that.

Also please use the search, the info is out there just takes time to look through the pages, if you knew it was a KLZE you should have been able to find the base displacement is a 2.5L with interchangable parts from any 93-97 2.5L KL series motor.
92 GS gold (driver) worklog> http://mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=73405" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
93 GS red (wrecked)
:D I modify my ride so I can drive around the stupid people :D
jollyrancher

Post by jollyrancher »

Wish I had documentation on 2.7 stroker kit, going by word. I knew the base displacement, just wasn't sure how the 2.7L would affect trying to buy parts. I've got a lot of learning to do about mods and terminology its not even funny. What did I get myself into :shock:

thanks for the help!
jollyrancher

Post by jollyrancher »

Thanks for patience too,...

Holy frigg didn't realize I had wandered all over the forums to the point I posted in the wrong spot!
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Did you buy this from a member on ProbeTalk? I've only seen a small handful of stroked KL's.

To stroke a KL, there is no "kit". You need to get your crank offset ground, and smaller big end diameter rods. Gotta do your research, and probably notch the block too.

If the parts store wants your VIN to look up parts, find another parts store. Engine parts, ask for 93 PGT engine parts like was mentioned. Use only whichever plugs are in your engine now, too. BKR5E-11's, most likely.

For distributor stuff, ask for the one that matches your engine harness, probably the stock MX-3 harness.

Being a 2.7 doesn't affect anything but the crank and rods/rod bearings, everything else will be 'normal'.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
jollyrancher

Post by jollyrancher »

Found it on kijiji, actually. Not sure if he was a member on PT or here. Went to a different parts store and didn't have a problem. You don't see a lot of modded cars where I am so I probably just threw the workers at the other one off.
Thanks for the info!
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Ryan wrote:To stroke a KL, there is no "kit". You need to get your crank offset ground, and smaller big end diameter rods. Gotta do your research, and probably notch the block too.
There is actually. It was on my list of stuff to get for my build....I just needed valves, pistons and the stroked crank. Was going to be a 2.7 @ ~11.1 ...so close, yet so far...

http://www.paeco.com/Stroker%20Kits.htm
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Then you're buying an offset ground crank with rods. I guess you could call that a "kit"...

To me a kit is more like a bolt on turbo kit, or a MS kit... or an science kit for kids... something with lots of parts you have to put together yourself.

I wouldn't call buying aftermarket cylinder heads a "kit" either.

I unno, maybe I'm just being picky?
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Ryan wrote:something with lots of parts you have to put together yourself.
When you take the motor apart to get to the crank, you'll have lots of part to put together yourself :mrgreen:

Well, the "kit" does come with everything to make it just a 2.7/2.9 stroker, even if it is just a crank...
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Ford Probe or MX-6 dosen't matter. Mazda wants $250ea for O2 sensors, Ford wants $340. Maybe go with Mazda. lol
Didn't I just post a complete parts list for the ZE??? I'll look.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
MrMazda92
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Post by MrMazda92 »

Lucky dog for the 2.7, treat it well. Pics of the car? I'd love to see her.
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Deleted: VAF/Power Steering/Air Conditioning/EGR/ABS/Auto Seatbelts/etc
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

Paeco in alabama I think advertises a stroker crank for the DE. I know a couple of
PT guys have done it but in general the reviews on Paeco are not good.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
MrMazda92
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Post by MrMazda92 »

There was a kit labeled "TKT big bore" wasn't there? If I remember correctly...
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Deleted: VAF/Power Steering/Air Conditioning/EGR/ABS/Auto Seatbelts/etc

Return to “General Mazda”