Dan's first Day at the Gym

Off-Topic Discussions
Daninski
Supporting Member

Dan's first Day at the Gym

Post by Daninski »

Ok, decided it was time to trim up and replace a little flab with muscle. I bought a membership at the local Ferris Pumping Facility. I arrived for my first go at it dressed in my Rocky I, II and III vintage sweats, egg yoke still fresh on my chin. Started off doing leg curls only to get my John Thomas crushed under my leg as I attemped the first set. My face contorted a little from the pain when some gorilla walking by said " ya man, feel the burn". I felt like burning my foot up his a**. Anyway, undaunted I carried on and other than forgetting to not use any spring powered devices near chest hair I think I did ok. You know those auto defibrillators really work. I finished off with some abdominals and much to my surprise I only partially stained my shorts. Have you ever noticed how much gas we vent while working out. Anyway, I had no trouble accessing the equipment as people seemed to favor the equipment in the other exercise room for some reason?? Tomorrow I plan to work the 'heavy bag' then leave my girl friends and go to the gym again. Not sure if this is some new body building suppliment but when I went to shower up I found a bottle of Beano by my locker. Now that's what I call encouragement. :D I'm at 180lbs and shooting for 158lbs by June 1st. Wish my luck.
Last edited by Daninski on March 9th, 2011, 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: Dan's first Day at the Gym

Post by Ryan »

I know how you feel Dan. I've put on my freshman 15, and I'm working on the sophomore 10. I used to be a solid 150lb, I'm getting up there now :( Not so much gaining weight, but transferring it from muscle to fat. I also used to be able to bench press more than my weight, now I probably couldn't do half...
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

You need to take up running. Calms the nerves, focuses the brain and invigorates. I use to do 5 miles a day then I got married and my life was over. Run Ryan run and pray to God no woman is ever faster than you. :wink:
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

Haha this made my morning
MrMazda92
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Post by MrMazda92 »

LOL @ Dan, made my day too.

Ryan, you're 19!!!! You shouldn't be able to get fat yet. :/ For my part, I did pack on a few pounds from July until January, due to being first bedridden and then gimpy; I've recently been exercising daily, as much as 4 or 5 hours. I'd already given up soda, and that proved to be a wonderful choice(I went from 2-4 liters a day to a no tolerance diet).

I went from 180-182 and feeling like crap to 172-175 from the first week I gave up soda. After that, I started a strict exercise regiment consisting of mostly core workouts, both for strength and endurance. I now supplement it with a morning jog every other day, once my ankle has had a bit more time under strenuous jogging I will move to windsprints.

Today, I'm in the best shape since I quit competing in Track and cut down on my sailing. Junior year in highschool I was in phenomenal shape.

Anyways, I went from 180+ and soggy/soft to a 165-167 daily range and It's all lean mean Portuguese now ;D
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Deleted: VAF/Power Steering/Air Conditioning/EGR/ABS/Auto Seatbelts/etc
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Ah my porkchop friend, drinking that much pop is an invitation to type 2 diabetes. Being that your portuguese I have to ask. Do your parents live in their basement? :P A lot of people probably don't know what wind sprints are. My brother ran a sub 3 hour New York marathon back in the 80s/90s. I use to run with him and to do a time like that your pace has to be consistent and fast. I couldn't do a sub 10 hour marathon right now. :lol:
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
7477th member.

wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

Dan,

Take it from a 40 year old friend. 22lbs in 12-1/2 weeks is not realistic or healthy. I am 5'8" and have been lifting weights my whole adult life...so I'm sort of bulky. I went from 228lbs to my current 198lbs this past year and it took me about 6 months...28 weeks. 1lbs per week +/- a few is both safe and do-able. 2lbs a week is extremely difficult to maintain and a goal like that will usually cause a person to get discouraged and quit.

If you were my work out partner I would recommend you set a goal of 168 for June 1. Once you achieve that goal you'll be really psyched to go for the next 10lbs.

Don't set yourself up to fail. Just my friendly advice.

If you like I can offer you many tips that helped me achieve my goals. I'm headed for 185 and targeting mid June.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

I'm not fat... I'm just average, not the whip I used to be: http://img203.imageshack.us/i/img0321tb.jpg/

My workout involves working my a-- off in manual labour jobs for may-sept. Then lose it all over the winter :(

Green GS - Sold.
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
Feedback
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Hey I always appreciate receiving advise and I know it's usually worth what we pay for it. :wink: Seriously, thanks for the concern. My plan as of now is to do weights one day avec cardio then longer cardio next day and slow laps in the pool using various strokes to keep the lactic acid at bay. I do abdominals every day and plan on switching things up every couple of weeks to keep my muscles guessing. Last year at the meet I looked like I was going bowling and I didn't like that. My daughter and I have been trying to adjust our diet too adding more vegies and fruit. Sweets in my house are almost non existent except for cereal and I buy only whole some stuff, no bloody Fruit Loops or Count Chocula (that means Frankinberry is out as well).
This evolution isn't a choice for me. I need to do this to get a medical issue corrected. All I can say is carbohydrates (sugars including fat) is killing us as a society. Every time we eat at places like McDonalds we shorten our life expectancy. Believe it!
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
7477th member.

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

I agree with you 100% Dan!

Humans are the only example of a species that is devolving. We're killing ourselves, slowly but surely.

I haven't had more than 2L of pop total in about 4 years, and we don't stock much but fruit/veggies and cereal in our house, but exercise is the key...

Green GS - Sold.
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
Feedback
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

Dan, you already asked me that! :lol: C'mon, you'll be running sub 10s 1/4 miles if you follow my advice ;D Although, your car might need a diet... Shave 700 pounds off her! Take off the hatch, back bumper, gut the interior, no seatbelts/crash bumpers/ac/ABS/Power Steering/Etc. You know, ditch the useless stuff :lol: Then you'll be running sub 10s, and not Marathons ;)

Ryan, I wasn't intending to call you fat. Simply saying that fat is no fun on the body, and have you seen "average" in America? I wonder how some people fit into their cars.... I see more "handicapped" people that are Obese than I see people with Blue eyes. That's just scary... I'm proud to be above the depravity, and I wish more people would do what it takes.

Dan again,

I'd avoid dairy as well, I forgot to mention that. I did leave out a few other things too, which I'll elaborate on now. I eat 1 bowl of oatmeal in the mornings(3-4 days a week) with a sliced up Braeburn apple on the side. I then snack mildly on carrots, celery(Nature's Slimquick!!), and various grainy/fruity snacks periodically until my lunch/afternoon repast. That typically consists of anything from a PB&J on Stone ground wheat to various fruits and a green salad. Dinner is always home made, and I avoid dairy except for a small pour to help cool my oatmeal.

In addition to this, I take a multi vitamin in the morning(not crammed with everything out there), it's mostly B vitamins with a few other things thrown in for metabolism boosting benefits. I take this with a meal, about 1 hour after my morning jog/core.

Health wise, diet is 90% of what you need. You could eat pure s---(McDonalds, KFC, Etc.), and work out 5 days a week to enjoy 6pack abs and still die by 40.

I also agree about humans, we're also the most useless. Humans are "top of the food chain" with a gun in our hands. Take it away, and few creatures would have trouble killing us off.
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Sometimes I just watch parkour to feel good about humanity again... We have some sweet a-- abilities that we choose to never use. Did you know your bone structure becomes more dense if you subject your bones to stress? So whatever stories show up in cheap kung fu movies are probably true, with enough training, you can punch through a brick wall or a huge slab of wood (Kill Bill, anyone?). Check out hardbody training.

Green GS - Sold.
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
Feedback
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

Ryan wrote:Sometimes I just watch parkour to feel good about humanity again... We have some sweet a-- abilities that we choose to never use. Did you know your bone structure becomes more dense if you subject your bones to stress? So whatever stories show up in cheap kung fu movies are probably true, with enough training, you can punch through a brick wall or a huge slab of wood (Kill Bill, anyone?). Check out hardbody training.
That's true, and I've experienced it painfully enough. It really does increase the density though, it's how our bones heal and repair themselves. The truth is though, it's for minor damage, breaking an arm in half for example would never make it stronger.
Daily:

Kid Hauler:

First Love:
mymx.3
Supporting Member

Post by mymx.3 »

Good going Dan! At our age we should be taking better care of ourselves.

I have to lose some weight (I can hear the comments now...shhhh) actually I should do exercise..but when my Dad was sick, after his passing, over the winter not doing much and not having a job I am not happy with the over 55 spread.......REALLY! I cannot fit in my Le Chateau clothes...........damn!

So now I am watching what I eat..cutting out as much of Diet Pepsi as possible..etc etc. Spring is coming..I will not be able to hide in winter coats...LMAO

Anyways I hate exercising but this time I better get at it or the arthritis will settle in..

Good luck Dan....hang in there!

DEB
New owner of a "2008 Tiburon GT"
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

Ryan wrote:I'm not fat... I'm just average, not the whip I used to be: http://img203.imageshack.us/i/img0321tb.jpg/

My workout involves working my a-- off in manual labour jobs for may-sept. Then lose it all over the winter :(
Pull your pants up!!!
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

Return to “Off-Topic”