Mount filling Question.

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
cWs306
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Mount filling Question.

Post by cWs306 »

how the eff do i go about filling my motor mounts? LOL. ???just take the plasma cutter to some 1/4inch steel and cut out the chunks to fill in the sides then weld the piss out of them??? orrr.....? :confused2:
PATDIESEL

Re: Mount filling.

Post by PATDIESEL »

Order some two part liquid urethane from McMaster Carr. Tape one side with duck tape and fill half way. Let cure for the directed time. Flip and fill other side. Let cure, install.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
Daninski
Supporting Member

Re: Mount filling.

Post by Daninski »

Flexane 94 or 84. Two part system for fabricating rubber items. If you use 94 I'd advise you drill a couple of 3/8" holes to allow for a little flexability. http://www.devcon.com/products/products ... 4%20Liquid

One small can will do two cars and being a two part system you can fill the mount with one pour and reinstall the mounts in a couple of hours.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
cWs306

Re: Mount filling Question.

Post by cWs306 »

Thank you very much! good thing i asked LOL. what would of happened if i did it the way i was thinkin???
cWs306

Post by cWs306 »

and drill holes where??? like threw the rubber after i fill them?
john1983

Post by john1983 »

just wondering how does filling mounts help, is it just better then replacing?
92 MX-3 6cyl dohc 24 valve K8 cold air filter custom exhaust drift body kit carbon fiber hood 17" focal rims Kenwood KDC-MP635 headunit Pioneer 6.5" componet door speakers and 4" rear speakers 500 watt boss amp powering 12" sony explod
My Work Logviewtopic.php?f=46&t=76603
Sleeper6

Post by Sleeper6 »

:crying: FTLOG us the search function!!! :crying:

Filling mounts helps to reduce travel and aid in the transfer of power from the drivetrain to the wheels and reduce power lost to vibration and flex. However this results in an increase in vibration transfered back to the driver in the cabin. Secondly to fill our mounts if yours are broken make sure the center pilot bolt is centered then secure it so it cant move(if its not torn dont worry about this) then using plastic film or even old plastic bags tape them flush to the mount and pour in your eurathane and let it cure, remove the film, flip and redo the other side. the goal is to fill as much of the empty space in the mount with the eurathane. If you were to weld them you would have a true solid mount which isnt a bad thing but you would need to check your bolts frequently to make sure nothing is coming loose and you would probably be unhappy withthe vibrations through the wheel if youve never driven a 100% race car.
92 GS gold (driver) worklog> http://mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=73405" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
93 GS red (wrecked)
:D I modify my ride so I can drive around the stupid people :D
john1983

Post by john1983 »

Oh ok. another question what is the film for the way you explain it confuses me
92 MX-3 6cyl dohc 24 valve K8 cold air filter custom exhaust drift body kit carbon fiber hood 17" focal rims Kenwood KDC-MP635 headunit Pioneer 6.5" componet door speakers and 4" rear speakers 500 watt boss amp powering 12" sony explod
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Put plastic wrap on the back so the s--- doesn't leak onto the table.

clear?
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
john1983

Post by john1983 »

ok so its just for protecting your work area for the most part
Sleeper6

Post by Sleeper6 »

Ryan wrote:Put plastic wrap on the back so the s--- doesn't leak onto the table.
clear?
You are using a liquid plastic. If you dont keep it contained it will run out of the mount. It is to keep it in the mount while it is curing not to keep your counter sparkling clean... You can youtube this pretty easily if your not sure what your doing or why I suggest checking this out before you commit to something your not prepared for
92 GS gold (driver) worklog> http://mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=73405" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
93 GS red (wrecked)
:D I modify my ride so I can drive around the stupid people :D
john1983

Post by john1983 »

Sleeper6 wrote:
Ryan wrote:Put plastic wrap on the back so the s--- doesn't leak onto the table.
clear?
You are using a liquid plastic. If you dont keep it contained it will run out of the mount. It is to keep it in the mount while it is curing not to keep your counter sparkling clean... You can youtube this pretty easily if your not sure what your doing or why I suggest checking this out before you commit to something your not prepared for
thats more what i thought the plastic wraping was for
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Ok the plastic wrap thing is fine I guess OR you could just use duct tape to cover the back side. No way would I recommend you weld the mounts. Your dash will vibrate some thing awful and you'll loose the fillings from your teeth. Some people have used Scotchweld but any product that's only a one part system requires air to dry so you can only pour it layer at a time and the bod between layers is not very good. A two part product is a chemical cure so depth of the pour isn't usually an issue.
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

cWs306 wrote:and drill holes where??? like threw the rubber after i fill them?
Yes but this would depend on the product your using. Like I said, I used Flexane 94 and my mounts were a little too stiff. Flexane 84 is a little softer. So if you find your dash is vibrating because your mounts are too stiff then simply drill a couple of holes through the rubber in your mount to give the mount a little more flex. Good Luck. :D
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
7477th member.

john1983

Post by john1983 »

so would this cause any side affects on the tranny seems the mounts would not be absorbing the tourque as much while going through the gears

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”