wiring harness questions...

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
BornSticky

wiring harness questions...

Post by BornSticky »

So when i did my klze swap i broke a couple connectors i just hard wired the sensor to the wiring harness, the knock sensor was one of them and if you know it is a single wire with one wire in the middle and another wire surrounding it. I did get it to work but it looks like crap and probably doesnt give out the best signal.... i was just wanting to swap over my whole wiring harness so i can use the connectors again. I was wondering if there were any newer harnesses like out of a 2000 626 or something that i can use. i have the curve neck mx-3 with no egr and probinator chipped ecu and its a 92 mx-3 gs
92 Mazda MX-3 KL-ZE Curve Neck, Probinator ECU, Full 2.5" exhaust with headers, cai, performance radiator, millenia alternator, 5spd, excedy stage 2 clutch, MTX 12" sub sony explod D series 600w amp, pioneer 260w deck, kyb on dropzone springs, HEI mod.
92 Mazda RX-7 (efini) FD3S urethane motor mount, Air intake, 18" Chrome rims besides that stock. SOLD!
93 Mazda MX-3 GS laguna blue full exhaust, cai, kyb shocks R.I.P. stupid jeep driver!
#5389 to join MX-3.com
umcamara
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Re: wiring harness questions...

Post by umcamara »

Why would you replace the whole wiring harness instead of soldering on the proper connectors? That would be much easier, and can be done very cleanly.
'96 Silver Stone Metallic MTX RS
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Simply find another GS and cut the plug off it with a few inches to spare then solder and heat shrink it. Good as new.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
umcamara
Supporting Member

Post by umcamara »

Daninski wrote:Simply find another GS and cut the plug off it with a few inches to spare then solder and heat shrink it. Good as new.
Why don't you try reading the post above yours first jackass? :D
'96 Silver Stone Metallic MTX RS
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread
ninjajim4

Post by ninjajim4 »

umcamara, please... you need to learn to respect your elders. especially when they are so very, very old. :lol:
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Dan drops his pants and bends over as uncamara and nijigim4 prepare to pucker up and plant their lips right on Dans crack.

I was simply embellishing on what you said. :D
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

Shut up old man!!!
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

wytbishop wrote:Shut up old man!!!
Respect your elders Pecker Head. But hey, I meant that in a nice way. :D

So can you find those plugs you need? (not to be confused with the plugs mouthing off in this post)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
7477th member.

BornSticky

Post by BornSticky »

yeah i was thinking of that but the harness isnt in the greatest shape and was ondering if i could get one off a car thats only 10 years old i would do that instead of using the one that i have which is 19.... i think ill grab one from a 2001 626 and add what i need to make it work
92 Mazda MX-3 KL-ZE Curve Neck, Probinator ECU, Full 2.5" exhaust with headers, cai, performance radiator, millenia alternator, 5spd, excedy stage 2 clutch, MTX 12" sub sony explod D series 600w amp, pioneer 260w deck, kyb on dropzone springs, HEI mod.
92 Mazda RX-7 (efini) FD3S urethane motor mount, Air intake, 18" Chrome rims besides that stock. SOLD!
93 Mazda MX-3 GS laguna blue full exhaust, cai, kyb shocks R.I.P. stupid jeep driver!
#5389 to join MX-3.com
mikeinaus

Post by mikeinaus »

your talking about using a obd 2 harness on a obd1 car. in short it would take an extreme ammount of modding to fit. do yourself a favor and grab a mx3 95 or older harness.
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Don't do it. Stick with a 92-95. Just because it looks a little ratty doesn't mean it's no good. mikeinaus makes sense.
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
7477th member.

Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Ryan »

I've rewrapped three harnesses... its not hard, takes about two hours to do it right, with distractions like beer and TV. Get like 4 rolls of electrical tape, a sharp knife, and 20 odd feet of split loom in 3/8, and like 5 feet in 1".
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
cout

Post by cout »

Out of three separate motors (a K8, a KLDE, and a KLZE), I've seen three knock sensor wires break at the connector. I don't know why this part is so prone to failure; I've seen other people make mention to it as well. Given that, if you do swap the harness, you are likely to have the same problem again in the future.

Our solution was to solder on a new connector, one with a much heavier gauge wire. Hopefully this means that the wire will be more resilient against whatever repetitive motion causes the stock wire to break. The connectors we used were from the cooling fan relay (we don't need it for our application), but I think you could use almost any set of two-prong connectors.

Also don't use electrical tape on a wiring harness. It's sticky, makes a mess, and some people claim the glue can actually interfere with electrical connections when it melts. Friction tape is MUCH easier to work with, plus it's reusable.

Some people swear by cold shrink tape. It looks a lot better than friction tape, but IMO it's harder to use (since like electrical tape you have to stretch it to get it to stick). Since I cover my wires with loom, I stick with the friction tape, since nobody can see it anyway.
1993 MX3 KLDE (formerly KLZE) 5spd LeMons car
KLZE 24 Hours of Lemons worklog

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”