smoke / vapor coming out of the vents

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
hgallegos915

smoke / vapor coming out of the vents

Post by hgallegos915 »

Ok , I think I had a bad heater core.

So heres the deal. I can drive the car around and doesnt overheat or anything. I noticed the last 2 days that small traces of white smoke / vapor comes out. Its getting worse and worse. At one point I tought the car was on fire but It does not smell like smoke. Its really light and you can barely see it. It also today started to come out of the hood. I assume the heater hoses are bad but I just replaced them last season.

Do you guys feel its the heater core? It even happens if I have it set to cold.

I assume its been happening for a while as there is green sticky grime that fell on the ecu(which i cleaned) that came out of the vent thats on top of the ecu.

What the hell is going on.... am I better off cancelling out the heater hoses until I replace the core? could it be bad heater controls?
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
Evo_Spec

Re: smoke / vapor coming out of the vents

Post by Evo_Spec »

sounds like a heater core to me
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Select your heater off and if it stops after a couple of minutes you've answered your question. Good Luck
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Ryan »

Or loop it out from the engine bay and see if it stops :P

turning the heater core off, if I'm not mistaken, in these vehicles, just takes the air from a different path, there isn't actually a valve switching the coolant flow. Maybe I'm crazy... its been happening a lot lately.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

Anyone that has the shop manual, can you tell me how to remove it?

its amazing that i can do a klze swap and turbo the hell out of my car and I cant replace the heater core.

From what my previous knowledge tells me, you have to remove the dash in order to get to the heater core? or can i get away with getting it from the bottom...

since mazda made this car, im sure they made it impossible to remove or at least hard.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

WOW I just read the online shop manual... and it looks like a sucky job... I may end up just by passing the hoses and dealing with the cold. At least it doesnt get under 35 here .... better bundle up if I want to be driving my mx3... I do not feel like removing the dash to get that crap out. Ill probably remove the dash in the summer and replace it anyways.

So this sucks, my mitsubushi eclipse, heater only works at full blast and now my mx3's heater is dead... sweeeet....
-hec

Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Just go out and buy some 'liquid' radiator stop leak not those stupid pellets. You probably feel the same as most of us, if it doesn't improve horse power or isn't a sound system upgrade we're not interested in doing it. :lol:
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

I came accross an MX-3 int he junk yard a couple of years ago with the dash out and was looking at the HVAC console and yes...there is no way to remove the heater core without removing the dash. I couldn't believe it when I saw it.

Worst engineering design ever.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Savin

Post by Savin »

Wyt, A lot of cars are like that though. My cousin's '87 Camaro is like that (although you can just pull the dash forward a bit), same with my Mustang and Thunderbird, you have to remove the dash.

Anyway,taking the dash isn't a hard or sucky job, it just takes a little time finding all the screws. You should be able to change out the heater core in about a day taking your time.
'95 MX-3 RS - Project "Déjà Vu" Destined for the scrapyard.
'93 MX-3 GS - SOLD!
'93 MX-3 GS SE - Parts car!
'94 MX-3 GS - Scrapped
'94 MX-3 RS - Scrapped
'96 Sunfire SE - Scrapped
'03 Sunfire SE - Deathtrap
'95 Cavalier Base - Scrapped
'94 Thunderbird LX - Collects dust
'89 Mustang GT - SOLD!
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

There is a post here showing how to remove a dash with pics of all the screw locations but I have no time to search it right now sorry.
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
7477th member.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”