projector headlights install

This forum is for discussion of topics relating to MX-3 lighting such as Headlights, Tail lights, Accessory Lights, Interior Lights, Etc. For example, Rear Euro Altezza Style Tail lights, Headlight units, LED's, HID's, Bulbs, Interior lights, Neons, Strobes, Auxillary Lights/Fogs or anything filament and gas discharge related.
Also anything dealing with the elctrical system.
SteeleMX3
antispam: No

projector headlights install

Post by SteeleMX3 »

I posted a thread in the MX-West part but noone seems to go there so I'm starting it again here. I've had a look at multiple threads and posts on how to properly install the projector headlights but I still cant do it. I almost think mine are broken now. the lows/brights don't work with the plug and I know theyre getting power because I've tried my stock heads and they work. I think I have the wiring right for the LEDs and Halos but I'm not sure, what I have is:

Black wires(ground) attach to ground from signal
White wire from LEDs and Red wires from halos attach to the red/green wires from the signal
then the plug should sort out the lows/brights, but mine don't. the lows used to work but not anymore.
1992 Mazda MX3 Precidia GS-KLZE :: Rockin' my world since 2009
viewtopic.php?f=46&t=72989 ---> Workloooogg
fillpereira

Re: projector headlights install

Post by fillpereira »

SteeleMX3

Post by SteeleMX3 »

ye I've already looked over that extensively, cheers though. I guess I just don't get it :(
1992 Mazda MX3 Precidia GS-KLZE :: Rockin' my world since 2009
viewtopic.php?f=46&t=72989 ---> Workloooogg
lokuayya
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by lokuayya »

Currently I am in the process of fixing the Projectors too. I am fixing it with out the HID conversion.
I had the same problem. I had to take the wires out of the sockets and manually connect them to work properly. (The stock socket didn't fit the after market socket so I had to take it off anyway)

There are two types of projector head lights on the market,
1. 3 LEDs vertical on the inner aspect of the head light
2. with the 3 LEDs Horizontal towards the outer aspects of the headlight

They both work the same way, just the appearance is different.

I have the no 2. They come with the socket with 3 wires in it. Black, Red (or ark Orange) and Blue
(I am not describing the LED wiring as you got them right)
On the stock wiring, there are 3 wires to the headlight socket. Black, Brown and Red

Connect both Blacks together
Connect Blue from Projector to Red from Stock stock socket
Connect Red to Brown from Stock Wiring

If you want to check witch colour is for what purpose. Take off the globe cover. (Where you can reach the actual globe) then you will see the on the connector its written Ground, Drive and Pass to describe the three wires.

Then you will have to directly connect the positive wire from the relay to the battery, So that both lights will be on (projector + normal halogen) when you turn on Pass

My guess is you have connected the head and the drive wires in correctly as the socket may have incorrect wiring. I also guess you haven’t connected the relay to the positive terminal.

Gud Luck :welder:
2fazed
Supporting Member

Post by 2fazed »

I just finished installing my black projector lights. I too have the #2 set. My lights worked fine, just connecting the light plug to stock. And I wired both the black/red(3lights) to black/white(ringlights) to the turnsignals. Then the red with fuse straight to the battery. I also used the 3m weatherstripping as suggested, and I like these better than the civic modded projectors. And the lights go right in, not a hassle.
16 Hyundai Elantra Value Edition
06 Mazdaspeed6 2.3T
93 626 ES 2.5
92 Mx-3 RS 1.6
93 Mx-3 GS 2.5
93 Mx-3 RS 1.6
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

My projector wires were whacked. While I was installing one of the wires fell out of the crimp. Turns out they didn't even twist them they just heat shrunk them together. Also the flat pins in the plug, you should turn them a bit with a pair of needle nose pliers. That will ensure a better contact with the factory plug.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
mitmaks

Post by mitmaks »

can I install HID kit on these projectors?
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
Evo_Spec

Post by Evo_Spec »

mitmaks wrote:can I install HID kit on these projectors?
when these were in the group buy there was an option to get an HID kit with them.
so pretty much yes, unless for some reason the bulb is too long or something but i think for the most part your gonna be ok
mitmaks

Post by mitmaks »

can someone post beam pattern of these
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
RS_OBD'oh_2

Post by RS_OBD'oh_2 »

fowljesse had a full guide on the install and pics of the pattern.
RobMinhas

Post by RobMinhas »

Just sticking this thread so I can find it later.
Daninski wrote:This is my MX3. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My MX3 is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I master my life. My MX3, without me, is useless. Without my MX3, I am useless. I must fire up my MX3 true. I must drive straighter than any Honda driver who is trying to own me. I must own him before he owns me.
mitmaks

Post by mitmaks »

RS_OBD'oh_2 wrote:fowljesse had a full guide on the install and pics of the pattern.
I saw his thread and didn't see any pictures of finished product, can you post a link to it?
RS_OBD'oh_2

Post by RS_OBD'oh_2 »

Sorry, I guess I was wrong. I know it was one of our more senior members that did that. Maybe Mooneggs..? I'll see if I can find that for you. Might just be in one of his logs.

Return to “Electrical & Lighting”