Paint suggestions?

A forum for Appearance Discussions. (Exterior, Body Kits, & Interior)
fillpereira
antispam: No

Re: Paint suggestions?

Post by fillpereira »

Spraying it sounds a lot easier then doing a roll on paint job, but thats just me :shrug:
mikeinaus

Post by mikeinaus »

maybe, but with no compressor, no gun, no garage and no experience i think im gonna be stuck with rolling on :crying:
if i had the space and the tools i would be more then happy to try and learn to spray but i dont think thats going to happen anytime soon. rolling on can have good results it just takes more effort in sanding/polishing.
Inodoro Pereyra

Post by Inodoro Pereyra »

mikeinaus wrote: ugh i wish i could find this paint, i think its probably the best mettalic grey ive seen http://www.teamrd.com/2009/06/paint-bod ... -metallic/
does anyone know if it would be possible to roll on higher quality automobile paints? theres some nice colours of urethane paint on ebay that could be had for $100 or so to do the whole car. i know its meant for spraying but do you guys think it could be rolled on the same as rustoleum?

this paint would be sweet if i could use it successfully
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Eastwood ... 040wt_1165
I think you're about to suffer a major disappointment.

Like I said before, I'm not an expert by any means, so take my advise for what it may be worth, until one of the forum's painters chimes in.

First, the paint you were originally planning to use has been formulated to be applied on fiberglass. Are you sure you won't have any adhesion issues when using it on metal?
Then, the roll on job. A roller will apply paint in a much thicker coat than a pray gun. When talking about paint, a thicker coat is a weaker coat.
Also, metallics are known to be difficult, even to spray. I doubt you can get a good quality metallic roll on job, regardless of the paint you use.

If you want to get a cheap paint job, I'd advise you to get a cheap spray gun and compressor, and use cheap automotive paint, like Duplicolor's "Paint Shop" line. For what I read (here and in several other forums) the finish is not excellent, and, being a lacquer, you can expect it to be less durable than a better quality paint, but it's easy enough to spray, doesn't need special equipment (like respirators and a paint booth), and it's cheap enough.

Other than that, the only color I'd be comfortable with for doing a roll on job would be flat black.
U28sIG5vdyB5b3UgYWxzbyBrbm93IGJhc2UgNjQuLi5odWg/DQpTSE9XIE9GRiEhIQ==

"The more I know man, the more I love my dog."

Diogenes of Sinope.
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

mikeinaus wrote:maybe, but with no compressor, no gun, no garage and no experience i think im gonna be stuck with rolling on :crying:
if i had the space and the tools i would be more then happy to try and learn to spray but i dont think thats going to happen anytime soon. rolling on can have good results it just takes more effort in sanding/polishing.
You can't roll on metallic paint.
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

mikeinaus wrote:maybe, but with no compressor, no gun, no garage and no experience i think im gonna be stuck with rolling on :crying:
Or you can just not paint your car and use the money for something else.
mikeinaus

Post by mikeinaus »

its not gonna cost that much money... and my paint is pretty bad, especially my hood and front/rear bumpers. we'll see what happens, i can dream cant i?
mitmaks

Post by mitmaks »

mikeinaus wrote:
its not gonna cost that much money... and my paint is pretty bad, especially my hood and front/rear bumpers. we'll see what happens, i can dream cant i?
Depends on paint you use. Pint of paint can cost anywhere from $40 to $100
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

Red car is proly the worst base to work on. You plan on doing door jams? Engine bay? Under hood? Hatch jams?

Will u have a white car with red areas above?? That doesn't sound appealing.
mikeinaus

Post by mikeinaus »

door jams, engine bay, and hatch jams are most likely gonna stay the same they are now, if not, im sure its not that much extra work to put a few coats on them, its not like they need to be sanded shiny or anything. from other peoples experiences im thinking its probably going to cost $150-$200 for paint, primer, sand paper and probably a bit of body filler.
mitmaks

Post by mitmaks »

mikeinaus wrote:door jams, engine bay, and hatch jams are most likely gonna stay the same they are now, if not, im sure its not that much extra work to put a few coats on them, its not like they need to be sanded shiny or anything. from other peoples experiences im thinking its probably going to cost $150-$200 for paint, primer, sand paper and probably a bit of body filler.
You'll be surprised, paint and materials will add up real quick.
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

To get proper paint put in aerosol cans at the local supply place I pay $30 per can. If I buy 12, they knock it down to about $20. I will be painting over good factory paint so I don't need much primer but I still need clear. Sanding and polishing materials are at least another $100. I expect it to cost ~$500 to do both bumpers, hood, driver's door, sunroof panel and assorted spot repairs.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
mikeinaus

Post by mikeinaus »

yeah but thats using spray cans, i can get a gallon of tremclad rust paint (rustoleum) for $40, then 4l of paint thinner for $10, then say another $30-$50 for primer, $20 in bondo, then another $50 in rollers and sand paper and that comes to only $170, and thats probably a little on the high side. even if i decide to try a more expensive paint it will only cost $200-$250 max.
mitmaks

Post by mitmaks »

Buy a gun from HF and you can paint your car. This is a great thread on how an amateur painted his car in his garage, it came out great!
http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/purple- ... 78459.html
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

Or you can buy my shell haha
mikeinaus

Post by mikeinaus »

mitmaks wrote:Buy a gun from HF and you can paint your car. This is a great thread on how an amateur painted his car in his garage, it came out great!
http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/purple- ... 78459.html
like i said i dont have a garage, and spraying a car outside on the street in my city probably wouldnt go over well...
Or you can buy my shell haha

you gonna sell me your shell for $250??? or how about you throw your shell in with your motor ;)

Return to “Appearance”