Lsd differences

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
WhiteFinish

Lsd differences

Post by WhiteFinish »

I was wondering

What are the differences between the lsd's available?
You can get a Lantis LSD transmission from Japan
There is the helical lsd
And the one from corksport

What makes one better then the other?
Just another Mx3 freak :)

Feedback topic: Click

Worklog
Worklog click
Daninski
Supporting Member

Re: Lsd differences

Post by Daninski »

\no axels for one, axels for the others.
You want the Lantis trans as thats the same exact car as the mx-3, what you dont want its a jspec LSD from an mx6 they are the ones that have the wrong axles. The Lantis and Astina are what you should be looking for LSD from, the Mx6 has longer axles so they wouldn't work, though you can use the mx6 axles you just have to take them to an axle shop and have them and combine the mx3 axles that fit into the hub with the ones that go into the tranny, as the splines are different but this will fix the length issue. Good luck trying to find spiral axels if it's the Jspec
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
Mi|<E

Post by Mi|<E »

You want one of these:

http://www.teammfactory.com/helical-lsd

You get to pick 26 or 28 spline

Price is very good too
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Mooneggs »

I have been very happy with my MFactory LSD! Price and quality are amazing! :2thumbsup:
MrMazda92
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Post by MrMazda92 »

Hey Marc, Have you heard from Jesse at all? He's probably busy working on his car(s), I just haven't been able to reach him. :/
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Deleted: VAF/Power Steering/Air Conditioning/EGR/ABS/Auto Seatbelts/etc
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Jesse is on Facebook, daily.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
MrMazda92
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Post by MrMazda92 »

I hadn't added him, but I'll take that as a suggestion. I have called him numerous times, so I was just a bit worried.
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Deleted: VAF/Power Steering/Air Conditioning/EGR/ABS/Auto Seatbelts/etc
kulluminati777

Post by kulluminati777 »

does an lsd extend tranny life and maybe when im feeling spirited on the autobahn will it be worth the money or is just for racing auto x stuff (which i dont do)
View my worklog: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=77688
Inodoro Pereyra

Post by Inodoro Pereyra »

An LSD does not extend tranny life per se, but since the diff in FWD cars is inside the tranny, and the MX-3 diff seems to have a reputation for being kinda weak, installing a good quality LSD (or just a sturdier differential) could save you a tranny rebuild at some point.

The function of the LSD is to allow you to plant more power to the ground. In an open differential, the maximum power you can apply to the wheels is that needed to make one of the wheels spin. Beyond that point, that wheel will keep on spinning, not transmitting power to the ground. The LSD will limit the free spinning on that wheel, so the other wheel can keep applying power to the ground.

If you are not gonna race the car, an LSD is not necessary, and it can be detrimental in some cases, like when making a fast curve on wet ground.
U28sIG5vdyB5b3UgYWxzbyBrbm93IGJhc2UgNjQuLi5odWg/DQpTSE9XIE9GRiEhIQ==

"The more I know man, the more I love my dog."

Diogenes of Sinope.
kulluminati777

Post by kulluminati777 »

thanks bro
View my worklog: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=77688
Inodoro Pereyra

Post by Inodoro Pereyra »

Glad I could help. :)
U28sIG5vdyB5b3UgYWxzbyBrbm93IGJhc2UgNjQuLi5odWg/DQpTSE9XIE9GRiEhIQ==

"The more I know man, the more I love my dog."

Diogenes of Sinope.
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

So you have to take the axles to a special shop? I remeber last season iwas swapping a snapped axle and I accidentally combined an mx3 spline with a diferent axle from anothermanufacturer(i took the bearing out, lock and all and slid the other axle) and it went in, to bad it was a few millimeters longer. It looked beefier.

I have been thinking about the lsd tranny but the price of an lsd and installation scares me and the axle dilema too with the swapped one.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
marcdh

Post by marcdh »

Hector, I'm not sure if this is what you mean but the MFactory LSD is designed to fit our standard axles perfectly. Our axles are 28 spline, for which there is a matching MFactory LSD.
AZ-3 1498cc Turbo! EVO 8 turbo and manifold, 5 stud swap, SSR Type C, DIYPNP seq Megasquirt
Mx-3 2.5 V6 Turbo 291 BHP 251 lbft @ 8psi - Retired due to rust and back at uni
View Worklog

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”