Could someone give me a straight answer

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
MattGlaceBayCanada
antispam: No

Could someone give me a straight answer

Post by MattGlaceBayCanada »

ok i just bought a 1992 mx-3 gs 5 speed and i would like to drop in a kl-ze. i am new to mx-3s but mechanical work doesnt scare me cause i am a mechanic by trade. My point is ive searched online for weeks on what i need and everyone has there own opinion on what will work and what wont. So what do i need to put a kl-ze in my car with using my stock k8 transmission thanks
Evo_Spec

Re: Could someone give me a straight answer

Post by Evo_Spec »

http://www.mx-3.com/swap/ze-swap.php

http://www.atlantamx3.com/mocaforum/viewforum.php?f=7

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthre ... -NICE-INFO

simple search in google gave me these, i didn't go over them but that's probably all the information you need
mikeinaus

Post by mikeinaus »

you technically dont "need" anything other then the motor. to get rid of the cel your going to throw because of the lack of egr your going to want a probinator chip, but thats only if your ecu is "chipable" searching will give you the answer to that one. probinator chip will also set the correct vris points and add a better fuel map. if you dont want to go that route you can get a airflow sensor + ecu from a klde equiped vehicle (mx6, probe gt, 626, millenia). that will give you better fuel maps and closer vics points then the mx3 ecu, but you will still get a check engine light for the egr.

you could also try one of these chips http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-Pro ... 750wt_1165 i dont know of anyone using one but it appears to be similar to the probinator but untested...

your also going to want to drill/tap a hole in the coolant neck of the klze and transfer over your coolant sensor. 92/93 mx3's had 2 coolant sensors where all kl's and newer mx3's only had 1. a stronger clutch would also be a good idea. exedy oem mx6 clutches are cheap and work well you can find them on ebay for $100 give or take.
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Absolute minimum: Just the engine
Minimum: KLDE ECU & VAF or KLZE ECU/Probinator Chip & K8 VAF (Otherwise the motor will run rich, loose fuel economy and not run as efficient; ie, power)
Recommended mininum: ECU/VAF and upgraded clutch (Stock won't hold up for long. It's designed for 115ft-lbs of torque, not 165)
Highly Recommended: ECU/VAF and Upgraded Clutch. Replace the waterpump, belts & pullies while the motor is out.[/b]
mikeinaus wrote:you technically dont "need" anything other then the motor. to get rid of the cel your going to throw because of the lack of egr your going to want a probinator chip, but thats only if your ecu is "chipable" searching will give you the answer to that one. probinator chip will also set the correct vris points and add a better fuel map. if you dont want to go that route you can get a airflow sensor + ecu from a klde equiped vehicle (mx6, probe gt, 626, millenia). that will give you better fuel maps and closer vics points then the mx3 ecu, but you will still get a check engine light for the egr.
Indeed. The only way to not get an EGR code is to either use a Probinator Chip for your K8 ECU (typically early-92's aren't chippable). The KLZE ECU's (KL31 and KL36) were also a very popular option, but the VRIS points set are for the straight-neck intake manifold, which is a hard fit in the Mx-3. The curved-neck intake manifold (also from the domestic Millenia) is a perfect fit in case you happen to get a straight-neck ZE, it having KL31 cams making it arguably a "true ZE". You can use the intake on your K8 termporarilly, but robbing it of alot of power.
mikeinaus wrote: if you dont want to go that route you can get a airflow sensor + ecu from a klde equiped vehicle (mx6, probe gt, 626, millenia).
Millenia does not apply, it's an OBDII car wthat uses a MAF sensor.
mikeinaus wrote:you could also try one of these chips http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-Pro ... 750wt_1165 i dont know of anyone using one but it appears to be similar to the probinator but untested...
I would never recommend an untested eBay products. It may or may not work, but it would suck to recommend a product and it doesn't work, wasting their money. The Probinator is a tried, tested and true chip that works, done by one of the members of the Probe community himself.
mikeinaus wrote:your also going to want to drill/tap a hole in the coolant neck of the klze and transfer over your coolant sensor. 92/93 mx3's had 2 coolant sensors where all kl's and newer mx3's only had 1. a stronger clutch would also be a good idea. exedy oem mx6 clutches are cheap and work well you can find them on ebay for $100 give or take.
You don't even need that, just use the one that's on your K8, keep it that simple. Use whatever your car came with. And ya, if you don't replace your clutch, you'll burn it up damn quick. Stick with clutches from reputable manufacturers, say away from that eBay crap.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
MattGlaceBayCanada

k thanks guys that is the best answer i got, what about nitrous also?
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

I actually don't really know many people that regularly run nitrous on hand, locally anyway. Aaron The Hic used to be hardcore into racing his ZE Mx-3 and added nitrous. He sold the car when he eventually blew up the motor. Curtklze also ran nitrous for a while, don't remember if he ever tracked it, don't think that was his plan, but I think he blew up that motor too. I don't know what kind of shot they ran, but myself, I don't believe in nitrous, so I haven't done research on it.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
MattGlaceBayCanada

so the mass air flow and computer from a ford probe gt will make it work ?
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

Get your stock ECU chipped and use the stock VAF. Best and easiest solution IMO. If your stock ECU has the wrong board, you can usually find a junk yard ECU that can be chipped for cheap.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
MattGlaceBayCanada

perfect thanks guys
MattGlaceBayCanada

and on my stock ecu what is the number of the non chipable computer
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

MattGlaceBayCanada wrote:and on my stock ecu what is the number of the non chipable computer
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/728690/19 ... obe/page-6
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

92 ECU's are not chippable. Look for a 93+. The one cuircuit board is about 2/3 the length of the board you need to chip to be a chippable ECU even if the serial number is correct.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”