Honda S2000 Style "Engine Start" button

This forum is for discussion of topics relating to MX-3 lighting such as Headlights, Tail lights, Accessory Lights, Interior Lights, Etc. For example, Rear Euro Altezza Style Tail lights, Headlight units, LED's, HID's, Bulbs, Interior lights, Neons, Strobes, Auxillary Lights/Fogs or anything filament and gas discharge related.
Also anything dealing with the elctrical system.
Willen
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Honda S2000 Style "Engine Start" button

Post by Willen »

I know a couple of you guys installed one of these nifty little buttons in your cars - I am in the midst of putting one in my V6, but I need a little help.

Anyway, I put the button where my cig lighter once was, got some power connected to it so that the two wires going TO the relay will carry 12V once the button is pressed, but the two wires going FROM the relay and to the ignition barrel apparently carry no power at all. I even replaced the relay provided with a brand new one. There's a click inside both of them whenever the button is pushed. So, they both seem to be working!

Well, the switch going out of the ignition consists of four wires: Black/white, black/blue, red/black and blue. Taking this switch out prevents the car from starting so I obviously need to connect the button to two of those wires!

However, even when turning the key to make the car start, I can't seem to measure any kind of current in any of the four wires, so I made a noobish guess and figured that the button might be alright anyway!

I've heard that the black/white and black/blue wires are the ones I need to connect my button to, but..... no luck thus far.

I need a little help. Where did I f... up?
Ryan

Re: Honda S2000 Style "Engine Start" button

Post by Ryan »

You sound intelligent, but I think you're either over-doing it or have simply got something messed up..

If you'll look through the wiring diagrams you'll see what you need. Just splice in series from the START position wire.

Depends what you want. Key ON, start button, START still works though... lots of possibilities.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
Willen

Post by Willen »

Thanks for the reply. I'll try installing the button the other way around. I'll start with connecting the two wires going to the ignition. I just need a simple: "turn-the-key-to-on-past-the-acc-position-and-then-press-the-start-button". What wire colors would I need to splice into? I guess I can figure the rest out from there :)

By the way, there's a switch next to the one with the four wires. This switch carries two black wires, am I supposed to use one of those?
johnmx3ze

Post by johnmx3ze »

one goes to starter selonoid and one goes to the power wire of ignition key cylinder (when key is on *ON*)
mx-3, KL turbo (tooo much to list) yeah its boosted!
worklog====> http://mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=67582" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
cardomain==> http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3869504/1 ... awks-on-ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Willen

Post by Willen »

After having looked through hundreds of posts on this site, it appears to me that the two black wires are both 12V power wires and that the black/blue wire in the other switch is for the starter. Can anyone confirm this?
johnmx3ze

Post by johnmx3ze »

if you wire it directly to the starter selonoid you wont have to push the clutch to get it started... like i did...
mx-3, KL turbo (tooo much to list) yeah its boosted!
worklog====> http://mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=67582" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
cardomain==> http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3869504/1 ... awks-on-ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Dragon1212

Post by Dragon1212 »

I was looking at this too. Would I attach the start button to the on position on the key to make the starter only work when the key is in the on position
Worklog for the Blue One
Worklog for the KLZE
First Car, And My baby... $550 To buy and repair from Write-off... The radio and amp that was in it was worth more than that!!!.
Hunting For a Supra MKIV, but I'll never get one. Still Hunting.
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

your key needs to be in the on position, or the car doesn't run....

or you need a switch for the on position.

Green GS - Sold.
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
Feedback
Dragon1212

Post by Dragon1212 »

Ryan wrote:your key needs to be in the on position, or the car doesn't run....

or you need a switch for the on position.

I know but the start will still spin when you press it if its not wired through the on position correct?
Worklog for the Blue One
Worklog for the KLZE
First Car, And My baby... $550 To buy and repair from Write-off... The radio and amp that was in it was worth more than that!!!.
Hunting For a Supra MKIV, but I'll never get one. Still Hunting.
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

I'm not sure. Depends how you do it. Look at the wiring diagrams.

If you just jump the starter in the off position, it WOULD spin the motor, but nothing would happen, as the ON position fires the main relay which charges the white/red wire which provides power to pretty much every component... injectors included.

Green GS - Sold.
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
Feedback

Return to “Electrical & Lighting”