Dynomax VT

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
mikeinaus
antispam: No

Dynomax VT

Post by mikeinaus »

was wondering if anyone has tried this muffler? my dual tip magnaflow is way too loud and i need to replace it soon. i think ive narrowed it down to the dynomax vt or the dynomax super turbo.dynomax claims the vt is able to remove cabin drone and maintain high performance. from the little reviews ive been able to find on the vt im finding that it makes 3" high flow exhaust with headers (not a mx3) sound close to stock at idle and cruising while wot give a nice deep tone.

heres a dyno comparing it to a magnaflow high flow on a lancer evo and shows almost no performance loss from the spring loaded valve.

a great discussion about the muffler on lancer evo's http://forums.evolutionm.net/evo-engine ... ffler.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

my second choice is the super turbo. from what ive read about that it gives a nice deep sounding exhaust while remaining relatively quiet.

from how loud my exhaust has been for the past year and a half im ready for it to be as quiet as possible so i think im leaning more towards the vt. my only problem is the only reviews ive been able to find are for large displacement cars/trucks and high powered turbo motors. im not sure how well it would workout for the k8 i have now, or the de/ze i plan on getting in the future so was wondering if anyone has seen/herd these in person? and if they live up to there claims/hype...
solo_ryder

Re: Dynomax VT

Post by solo_ryder »

That's very cool. Both muflers are good, but I think the VT would be awesome to try. Can you get it from lordco? What cost?

Either way you wanna get a offset/center muffler so that the inlet runs through as much material as possible. On a MX3 you want the inlet on the DS side of the car to clear the subframe
Last edited by solo_ryder on September 17th, 2010, 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
mikeinaus

Post by mikeinaus »

i called lordco a few months back and they had the super turbo for around $45 without discount. i dont see why they wouldnt have the vt but online retailers sell it around $100.

did you ever get your exhaust sorted? or was that what your hole sound proofing was all about?
Last edited by mikeinaus on September 17th, 2010, 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

You should call and see what you can get both at and post prices. I am interested in this VT muffler in 2.5-2.5"..
mikeinaus

Post by mikeinaus »

who broke your phone :lol: ? i probably wont get my exhaust fixed until next month (if this new job works out) so i probably wont get around to calling anytime soon.

part numbers are 2.25" 17155, 2.5" 17156
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

FUUUUUUUUUU

I'll call tomorrow then haha
mikeinaus

Post by mikeinaus »

let me know if they have it and how much there asking. 2.25" would be awesome. thanks champ :P
Mi|<E

Post by Mi|<E »

Im using a dynomax super turbo 2.5 inch, quite pleased with it thusfar. Pair it with a 18-24"
resonator and you can't go wrong.
mikeinaus

Post by mikeinaus »

is it very loud, or is there much cabin drone?
Mi|<E

Post by Mi|<E »

Its deep and quiet, not raspy or ricey at all. Id even dare to say its
quieter than stock till you WOT it
clarkandrew45

Post by clarkandrew45 »

solo_ryder wrote:That's very cool. Both muflers are good, but I think the VT would be awesome to try. Can you get it from lordco? What cost?

Either way you wanna get a offset/center muffler so that the inlet runs through as much material as possible. On a MX3 you want the inlet on the DS side of the car to clear the subframe
My cousin gave me this VT, for my last check this cost around $100. Im not so sure for the figures.
Last edited by clarkandrew45 on October 25th, 2010, 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mikeinaus

Post by mikeinaus »

yeah in the states its around $100, Canada is a different story tho. i called lordco yesterday and they want $200+ for the vt and they dont stand behind dynomaxs 3 month noise guarantee. that makes it kind of a hard sell, i dont mind spending $200 but i dont want to be stuck with a muffler that doesnt sound the way i want (too loud or alot of drone). especially after i wasted money on my magnaflow.

on another note i emailed dynomax and asked what muffler they suggest for me, and i will be making a decision/replacing my current muffler in the next couple of weeks.
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

Dude, just get a super turbo dynomax lol. The problem with your magnaflow (and mine) is that they are basically just resonators. You need a chambered muffler or something that runs through more packing like the super turbo.

I have a solution for my exhaust problem and it comes from a Honda. I will update my worklog after it is done
mikeinaus

Post by mikeinaus »

intresting... cant wait to hear it.
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

Haha, im redoing my whole exhaust from the cat back, its gonna be sweet

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”