other sites

Off-Topic Discussions
_-Night-Shade-_

Re: other sites

Post by _-Night-Shade-_ »

I'm from Ukraine, home of Chernobel and crappy old cars. Don't tell me about how the air is :lol:
--------------------------------------------
[WORKLOG] [FOR SALE] [Wishlist] [Feedback]
Inodoro Pereyra

Post by Inodoro Pereyra »

_-Night-Shade-_ wrote:I'm from Ukraine, home of Chernobel and crappy old cars. Don't tell me about how the air is :lol:
Touché... :lol:
U28sIG5vdyB5b3UgYWxzbyBrbm93IGJhc2UgNjQuLi5odWg/DQpTSE9XIE9GRiEhIQ==

"The more I know man, the more I love my dog."

Diogenes of Sinope.
cout
antispam: No

Post by cout »

Inodoro Pereyra wrote:I understand you're young, and you don't have first hand experience on this. Go ask your parents, or anybody you know, who lived through the '70s. Ask them what the air was like when "the government wasn't worried" about emissions. Ask them how your air, water and soil would be, if the government had stayed out of it.
I live in SC where there are no emissions checks. We did away with inspections years ago (presumably because the aggregated cost of the inspections outweighs the cost of dealing with any additional pollution). I don't believe we have a severe automobile-related pollution problem here (the most noticeable pollution in Charleston appears to be caused by the paper mill).

If fighting emissions is really important to you, IMO the most effective way to reduce them is to form an organization that informs the public on which cars have lowest emissions and the importance of reducing overall emissions.

And to the commenter who wants to cheat on his emissions test: I don't blame you, emissions tests sound like a PITA, and I'm glad I live in a state where we don't have to deal with that. A more ethical course of action, however, would be to lobby your state government to change its laws. If you ignore the law without attempting to change it, you implicitly reject the entire law (because if it is ethical to ignore a law you disagree with, then you can pick and choose which laws to follow and still live within the bounds of your ethical system).
1993 MX3 KLDE (formerly KLZE) 5spd LeMons car
KLZE 24 Hours of Lemons worklog
Inodoro Pereyra

The big advantage in SC (and the reason I'm desperate to move to NC), is the low population. But, if you're old enough, you must remember the smog problem in the big cities (Los Angeles, New York) before they started checking emissions.
I come from Buenos Aires. We don't have emissions checks in there, for private cars, and among professional vehicles the corruption is rampant. To make it even better, most cars are carbureted, and don't have catalytics.
A major Bs As newspaper puts, as part of its weather report, every day in its last page, a CO/CO2 report, measured in one of the most important corners in the city. The normal CO and CO2 level is, on a weekday, about 11 times the maximum, as per WHO. On a weekend, it goes down to 7-8 times the maximum.
Safe to assume we DO have a smog problem... :(

Here, you even hint at the possibility of forming such group, and you're immediately labelled as a "liberal", "treehugger", whatever. Decades ago, a politician said the best way to destroy the credibility in any issue is to turn it into a political issue. Some Americans seem to be masters at that (and yeah, I'm talking about, among others, Bush and Gore).
Last edited by Inodoro Pereyra on October 6th, 2010, 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Diogenes of Sinope.
ninjajim4

Post by ninjajim4 »

i could give a rats @$$ about the law, but i do care about my planet. everyone should do their part. yes, there are still volcanic eruptions and oceanic plant decomposition and cows farting, but that doesn't mean we should contribute to the problem, or rather, unbalance the cycle of things.

and fyi, they don't charge for emissions here. just because YOU have a corrupt local government, it doesn't negate the intent of the regulation
Inodoro Pereyra

There you go! Let's all move to Chicago!!! :lol: :lol:

Seriously though, I completely agree. But unfortunately, thinking like that will automatically convert you into a liberal, not worth listening to. Like Al Gore, who is a fraud because he talks about the environment but he's a fraud, because he travels around the World in a jet, instead of using a cart pulled by a donkey fed on Beano, so it won't fart. :roll:

The problem is, everybody wants clean air (or most everybody), but they want others to sacrifice for it. And it's very easy to find excuses not to comply with those laws.

Diogenes of Sinope.
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Inodoro Pereyra wrote:The problem is, everybody wants clean air (or most everybody), but they want others to sacrifice for it. And it's very easy to find excuses not to comply with those laws.
Like people complaining about the biodegradable Sunchip bags being too loud....so now they gotta go back to the regular bag...
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
Inodoro Pereyra

So...Have you done anything yet? :?

Diogenes of Sinope.
chrome730

Post by chrome730 »

well im weighing my options about this parts car for 100 the front end is awesome and it has everything i need. the guy who is supposed to buy the sentra is supposed to be coming today to buy it for 400 but he hasnt called and im a bit worried right now. i told him everything wrong and he seems ok with it but the headliner is trashed and im thinkin he may back out.
It only takes a single voice to start a revolution
Inodoro Pereyra

A guy backing out from a $400 car would give a new definition to the word "stupid". :roll: The cat and the doors cost more than that...

Anyways, best of luck to you. :)

Diogenes of Sinope.
_-Night-Shade-_

Post by _-Night-Shade-_ »

ninjajim4 wrote:i could give a rats @$$ about the law, but i do care about my planet. everyone should do their part. yes, there are still volcanic eruptions and oceanic plant decomposition and cows farting, but that doesn't mean we should contribute to the problem, or rather, unbalance the cycle of things.

and fyi, they don't charge for emissions here. just because YOU have a corrupt local government, it doesn't negate the intent of the regulation
You're contradicting yourself...
--------------------------------------------
[WORKLOG] [FOR SALE] [Wishlist] [Feedback]

Return to “Off-Topic”