Valve cover gasket leak...common?

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
czwan

Valve cover gasket leak...common?

Post by czwan »

Wondered if this was a common issue among MX-3's. I ignored mine for quite a while, since when I'd check the oil, it usually wasn't low. Finally got it fixed. I asked the shop if I'd see any significant improvement in performance, & they said no--it was mainly to stop the leaking oil, and that leaked oil on the engine could possibly be a fire hazard, etc.

I was surprised that there's no noticeable change in driving. I don't really know anything about cars, but it seems like getting something like this fixed would result in some sort of improvement. I guess at least there won't be embarrassing drops of oil left on other peoples' driveways, lol.
OkieOFT
antispam: No

Re: Valve cover gasket leak...common?

Post by OkieOFT »

You must not be very car smart if you think repairing a valve cover gasket is going to improve performance. It's a gasket...It's only function is to hold oil in.
94 MX-3 RS Blaze Red
czwan

Post by czwan »

I'm definitely not car smart, at all (that's why I'm glad for sites like this). I just figured that if the situation went from - liquid being able to ooze out - to it not being able to and be contained, that maybe the pressurization or something would have some sort of effect.
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

Pretty common on old cars
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Ryan »

Definitely not a performance modification. Just will make your car stop smelling like burning oil.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
Thassodar

Post by Thassodar »

czwan wrote:Wondered if this was a common issue among MX-3's. I ignored mine for quite a while, since when I'd check the oil, it usually wasn't low. Finally got it fixed. I asked the shop if I'd see any significant improvement in performance, & they said no--it was mainly to stop the leaking oil, and that leaked oil on the engine could possibly be a fire hazard, etc.

I was surprised that there's no noticeable change in driving. I don't really know anything about cars, but it seems like getting something like this fixed would result in some sort of improvement. I guess at least there won't be embarrassing drops of oil left on other peoples' driveways, lol.
Pretty common, I'be had to replace my gasket twice. No difference except that after I Engine Brite'd the mess out of it it stayed shiny longer :lol:
Hey-yo chicken on a raft.
sneechsandwich

Post by sneechsandwich »

It's definitely common. Replaced one in my '95, then in my '94. Not hard though, coming from someone who just tries to fix sh** without really knowing how. And you're right, no difference in performance.
czwan

Post by czwan »

Thanks guys.
clarkandrew45
antispam: No

Post by clarkandrew45 »

OkieOFT wrote:You must not be very car smart if you think repairing a valve cover gasket set is going to improve performance. It's a gasket...It's only function is to hold oil in.
I have the same problem about my valve gasket, and I must admit I don't have enough knowledge about car or car parts, so thank you for this advice. At least now I know that this is not really a big problem for me. Thanks.

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”