Leaking MTX Shift Rod Seal ; Anyone here changed one B-4?

A forum for discussions regarding the MX-3' transmission. Swap, technical, and troubleshooting info should be placed here.
valentiner
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Leaking MTX Shift Rod Seal ; Anyone here changed one B-4?

Post by valentiner »

I have in possession a new seal and boot (the most expensive piece of rubber on the planet...).

I looked up procedure on online manual here: It shows that the shift rod gets removed, which entails cracking the tranny in half to disconnect it internally. Doing this is too mysterious for my taste, not to mention too involved. If I really HAD to, I think I would decide to put in seal rejuvenate fluid (have some Risilone I plan to put in anyway for other seals), and pray.

But, without tugging harder to see if I could pull out the old then slip on the new (this is a tricky seal as it is encased in steal; I hate that kind), I was hoping someone here has done this before. I am sure it would be tight going back in, and even a bit tighter if the rod is still there, but, is this do-able?

Also, any ideas for make-shift tool to hammer on to push this in? Reminder: This seal also has the curved metal lip that comes out to hold the front end of the bellow/boot. This lip is pretty flimsy. I actually don't see an easy way to tap this seal in at all, even IF I removed the rod first.

At the same time too, don't see any easy way to remove this seal, guess I just plan on getting hold of metal flangy 'lip' part with pliers and tear it out one tiny piece by one more tiny piece.

I live in Phoenix, AZ; the heat is really hard here on seals and boots or anything rubber... this place regularly murders CV boots for example, even new ones; really got to keep a sharp eye on them.

Any thoughts appreciated; searching is tricky, but, did not run across this topic addressed here previously.
'93 MX-3 GS SE w/236k miles, now 260k.
wytbishop

Re: Leaking MTX Shift Rod Seal ; Anyone here changed one B-4

Post by wytbishop »

Flyer wrote:
wytbishop wrote:I have a pdf copy of the Madza G-series transmission rebuild manual. If someone could figure out how to host it on the website and post a link in the V6 faq I think it would be worthwhile.
Done and done.
http://flyer.teamgwailo.org/Transmission_Rebuild.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The link in this thread will take you to the G series rebuild manual. It shows exactly how to dismantle nad reassemble the transmission. to change that seal you don't have to disassemble any of the internal components you just have to separate the case and disconnectt he shift rod fromt he shifter mechanism, pull it out change the seal and put it back in.

EAsy peasy.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Almost as easy as proper punctuation eh? :P
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
valentiner

Post by valentiner »

Daninski wrote:Almost as easy as proper punctuation eh? :P
J/A, eh? :freak:
valentiner

Post by valentiner »

...to change that seal you don't have to disassemble any of the internal components you just have to separate the case and disconnectt he shift rod fromt he shifter mechanism, pull it out change the seal and put it back in.

EAsy peasy.
UPDATE: Thanks for your input. I was able to accomplish the task as I suggested. Couldn't have been much easier once I figured how to grasp the flange portion of the old seal with channel locks, while using the back of the plier head as a fulcrum against the M/T case. She popped right out.

Then, simply greased up the new seal, slid it over the shift rod, and tapped it in with a 17mm deep socket and mallet. Even after hitting it a bit harder than I felt safe doing, the flange did not get bent, and, the seal seated properly :D

Return to “Transmissions”