OkieOFT's 1994 RS Restoration - New Wheels!

In this section, Users can post worklogs for their vehicle and show users their projects. (MX-3 ONLY!). Please create only ONE topic when starting a project, and DO NOT create 2 worklogs for the same vehicle, even though they are different projects. READ THE STICKY!
OkieOFT
antispam: No

OkieOFT's 1994 RS Restoration - New Wheels!

Post by OkieOFT »

So a few months ago I picked up a 1994 RS on Ebay for $350 from a jackass in Neosho, Missouri. The car was said to have a broken timing belt. After driving 4 hours to pick it up in terrible weather I just wanted to load it on the trailer and go home. Upon further inspection I found that it had lost oil pressure and siezed the camshafts, breaking a cam sprocket clean off the exhaust cam. I found a replacement B6-DE in a local yard for a decent price. I know I should have did a BP swap, but I just wanted to get the car running and the B6 went in without a hitch. I wasn't present for the motor replacement so no pics of that.

After we got it running I decided to try the old $50 rolled on paint job. Unfortunantly, this thing has been repainted about 1 million times. This is what it looked like the day I got it running:

That pic doesn't show alot of the bad stuff but the clear coat was peeling, the paint on the bumpers was spider webbed, etc...Not to mention the hood and bumper were replaced with parts from a Special Edition, and no prep work was done to the underlying paint so what they had sprayed on just peeled off with a razor blade.

After many many days of sanding, bodywork and more sanding...

I finally got started on paint last week. I'm at four coats of paint right now. Still not getting full coverage over primer/bondo but it's getting there, i've been mixing the paint pretty thin. I'm using Interlux Brightside paint in Fire Red. Going to be stepping up the paint content from here on out, to achieve full coverage a bit faster. I'm using mineral spirits to thin it.

We've got some rain coming in this week so I won't be able to continue until probably Wednesday. So far I am very pleased with the results, for being painted in the wide open outdoors with a roller. I'll probably do about 8 coats of paint, wetsanding every two coats and finish it with a good wetsand and polish with a rotary buffer and Meguiars M105/205 combo.
Last edited by OkieOFT on August 31st, 2010, 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
94 MX-3 RS Blaze Red
stratman1988
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: OkieOFT's 1994 RS Restoration

Post by stratman1988 »

Looks like everything coming together! Blaze red is definitely one of the nicest colors on the MX-3.
'93 Blaze Red MX-3 SE
OkieOFT

Re: OkieOFT's 1994 RS Restoration

Post by OkieOFT »

Found a guy on Craigslist that crashed his 1990 Integra and wanted to sell his wheels. Picked up these ADR GT-Sport 16's with nearly brand new BF Goodrich G-Force Sport 205/45/16 tires for $275. Now i'm not liking the wheelgap. I really don't want to lower this thing but a drop may be in order if it bugs me enough. The wheels are pretty rough, lots of curb rash and paint chips. I'll have to do some work on them too if I can find paint that matches.

Paint is coming along. Weather and weekend activities has hampered my work but I expect to be done painting this week. Then i'll let it outgas for two weeks and then sand and polish.

Still waiting on a spoiler purchased from Eggyrollz. Anyone seen that guy? He hasn't replied to any PM's in a week (or logged on, for that matter) and the spoiler should be getting here anytime now through any ground shipping service.

94 MX-3 RS Blaze Red
-eunos-
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: OkieOFT's 1994 RS Restoration - New Wheels!

Post by -eunos- »

Was the paint still wet when you tok it out onto the grass? (if it was) I would have thought you would have little midgies or bugs jumping around...

In my very early junior days (early high school) I tried to paint a car on a warm summar night.... hmmmmmm... spot the problem.?

Yeah, found out later that moths are attracted to a bright light source at night....

had moths stuck all over my car in the morning.. ha ha ha...

Nice work mate... ;-) keep it up, love to see the final shots...
OkieOFT

Re: OkieOFT's 1994 RS Restoration - New Wheels!

Post by OkieOFT »

Nope, it's been dry for a week actually. I am having to paint it outdoors, though. So far not too many bugs, and those that do get stuck sand right off.
94 MX-3 RS Blaze Red

Return to “MX-3 Worklogs”