1.8L V6 DOHC & CFM's

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Dragon1212
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

1.8L V6 DOHC & CFM's

Post by Dragon1212 »

I'm rather new to modding and found a thing called a inline supercharger. When i look at its technical specs the thing is basically a marine blower. Well marine blowers are alot cheaper and do the exact same thing now i have one problem how do you tell how many CFM a 1.8L V6 DOHC (my MX-3 Precidia GS) can take before the fuel air mixture is too far out of wack. I will also have to put a resistor switch in so the electric motor speeds up as the car gets more fuel so that it doesn't put too much air in when idling and make my car run horrible.
The Short Version...
How many CFM's could i Punch through the intake line hose (between the airfiler and the motor) in a 1.8L V6 From a MX-3 Precidia GS
-Thanks for your time...
Worklog for the Blue One
Worklog for the KLZE
First Car, And My baby... $550 To buy and repair from Write-off... The radio and amp that was in it was worth more than that!!!.
Hunting For a Supra MKIV, but I'll never get one. Still Hunting.
umcamara
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Re: 1.8L V6 DOHC & CFM's

Post by umcamara »

Don't...
'96 Silver Stone Metallic MTX RS
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread
Dragon1212

Post by Dragon1212 »

umcamara wrote:Don't...
Well thats not very helpful. Why not.
Worklog for the Blue One
Worklog for the KLZE
First Car, And My baby... $550 To buy and repair from Write-off... The radio and amp that was in it was worth more than that!!!.
umcamara
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Post by umcamara »

It's an electric fan. It doesn't provide much more airflow, if any. And any electric fan powerful enough to make a difference is going to rob so much power from the engine that it'll negate any potential benefit.
'96 Silver Stone Metallic MTX RS
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread
EggyRollz

Post by EggyRollz »

Not to mention the 1.8 v6 isn't worth investing any money into because it's a pile of s***.

Swap for KLDE or KLZE and enjoy.
94 Tahoe Sport SS - 454 =)
93 3KGT VR4 - K&N Filter.Proxes 4 Tires. Drilled/Slotted Rotors.
97 Tahoe - Grill gaurd.Oversized Tires.Custom liners.Bored & matched pistons.E-cam.Leather.Remote start.TCC upgrade.+Sunshell.10K tow package.Knifed TB.Flowtech Huggers.Straight pipes.Hypertech chip.B&M Trans Controller, Front diff & T-case plates.
Feedback-viewtopic.php?f=37&t=74259
For Sale-viewtopic.php?f=2&t=74832
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

In physics...in the universe if you want to get epic about it...there is no such thing as free energy. The idea that these inline superchargers are trying to sell is that you can stuff a bunch more air into your engine for free. People who buy them think that because it's an electric component it doesn't steal HP from the engine but they're wrong.

The alternator is effectively an electron pump. The more electricity your car uses, the more electrons the alternator has to pump back into the battery to maintain the charge. The more electrons it has to pump, the harder it is to turn and the more work the engine has to do to turn it...stealing HP from the engine.

So in essence, you're putting a fan in the intake, which is capable of producing about 1psi of additional intake pressure. That additional psi of pressure equates to about a 5% increase in power. But, the fan draws 1-2 additional amps of current from the battery, which must be recharged by the alternator...which takes that additional 5% power to turn...because the load on it has increased due to the fan.

It is a trick perpetrated on those without fundamental understanding of physics by those who would steal your money.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Dragon1212

Post by Dragon1212 »

see now i learn't something this also explains why my car dies easy with the inverter running full tilt
Worklog for the Blue One
Worklog for the KLZE
Inodoro Pereyra

Post by Inodoro Pereyra »

wytbishop wrote:
So in essence, you're putting a fan in the intake, which is capable of producing about 1psi of additional intake pressure. That additional psi of pressure equates to about a 5% increase in power. But, the fan draws 1-2 additional amps of current from the battery, which must be recharged by the alternator...which takes that additional 5% power to turn...because the load on it has increased due to the fan.

It is a trick perpetrated on those without fundamental understanding of physics by those who would steal your money.
Well, it's not really quite so dramatic, but close. Electric superchargers DO work, but, as everything else, they have limitations.
ALL forced induction systems take power from the engine. Even turbochargers. The difference is not whether one or the other work or not: they all work differently.
So, the turbocharger is the one that robs less HP, for a given amount of power increase, but it's not perfect either. First, it robs power from the engine, in the form of exhaust backpressure. Then, unless you use a small turbo (small power increase), or a dual (expensive) turbo setup, it generates the most power at high revs, higher the bigger the turbo, so it's not really that useful on the streets.
On the other hand, the supercharger takes a LOT more power from the engine, but the only limitation on its size (and the boost it can provide) is given by the engine's mechanical resistance (how much abuse it can take), and the power band is wider, and lower in the RPM band.
And then, the electrical supercharger, is a supercharger just like a mechanical one. The only difference is that, adding one step of energy conversion (the mechanical energy from the engine transforms into electrical energy, and then back into mechanical at the SC, while on a mech. supercharger the mechanical energy from the engine transforms on mechanical energy at the SC), there's more losses involved. But the losses are FAR from completely offsetting the power gain. Electrical superchargers can get you between 5 to about 20% NET power increase. The other big disadvantage of an electrical supercharger is that you can't control its speed electronically, given the very high consumption of the electric motor used, which means that, unless you can come up with a different way to control them, they only activate at wide open throttle, so they are, again, not so well suited for street use.

Finally, your idea of the marine blower just won't work. The impellers on marine blowers are designed to provide maximum flow, not pressure. So, even when it can be argued that "pressure" is "flow" against "restriction", that will only go so far. In reality, even an axial or a centrifugal superchargers are designed with, among other things, much closer tolerances than a marine blower, which is nothing but an expensive fan.

Hope that helps. :)
U28sIG5vdyB5b3UgYWxzbyBrbm93IGJhc2UgNjQuLi5odWg/DQpTSE9XIE9GRiEhIQ==

"The more I know man, the more I love my dog."

Diogenes of Sinope.
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

Yes well I am of course generalizing on a massive scale. The point I wanted to make is that the energy balance with a system like the ones sold on ebay, or anything home made by an amateur is going to be very close to zero.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Inodoro Pereyra

Post by Inodoro Pereyra »

Believe me: I agree with you. In the best of cases, electric superchargers are useful in very specific scenarios, and even then, they're awfully limited. And the crap they sell on ebay is not good enough to use as a hair dryer...
But I think the electric supercharger will become a valid option in the future, once the technology evolves.
U28sIG5vdyB5b3UgYWxzbyBrbm93IGJhc2UgNjQuLi5odWg/DQpTSE9XIE9GRiEhIQ==

"The more I know man, the more I love my dog."

Diogenes of Sinope.
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Electric superchargers can work, but if they're engineered properly. If the ones you looking at are on eBay, it's just packaged boat fans. If they were a decent working product, you'd find them on reputable sites and manufactured by known companies. They put them on eBay cause they can sell fake non-working products to people that don't know better. Look on yourtube for "leaf blower turbo" to see how much CFM it actually takes to make an inprovement on a vehicles's performance.

Very few companies actually manufacturer electric superchargers and do they tend to go for a bit less than a real turbo/supercharger kit, but you're still paying a few throusand, not a measly $100
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”