KF-ZE Misfire

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
chrispy bacon
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

KF-ZE Misfire

Post by chrispy bacon »

I recently got my engine upgraded from a K8 to a clean KF. The problem is that on the K8, the engine would misfire, and when you would accelerate, it would pretty much misfire in every cylinder. Now that i have my new KF, it sounds better, runs better, but it still misfire, the engine is well timed, the compression is perfect, it has new plugs, and wire, But still misfire... We've narrowed it down to the distributor, because everything else has been replaced, and tested. On the K8, the distributor died, from what the mechanic said, so we got an aftermarket one, and put it on, everything was great, and it started to misfire, and got worse. So here i am with the aftermarket distributor from the K8 on my KF, the the thing is, it's only a few months old, we put it on the K8 this winter.

Main point, has anybody had any problems with aftermarket distributors? and is there any way around, instead of buying a new one

Also, I have the right ECU and VAF to run the KF.

thx
solo_ryder

Re: KF-ZE Misfire

Post by solo_ryder »

It sounds like you are right on about the issue. I would assume as well that your disty is crappy. However, it could be something as simple as a bad rotor, cracked disty cap, or a failing disty gasket. I would check those first and if that doesnt fix the issues then maybe get a junkyard k8 disty OR do a HEI mod if you have a 92-93 disty. Here is some more info, the last pic is most common unless you want to run a msd setup:

http://www.mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=69006
chrispy bacon
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by chrispy bacon »

Got a Mx-6 Disty, works great!!
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

MX6 and MX3 disties are the same in certain years. Just means you got a disty that works. :D
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”