Fuel Economy on Stock K8

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
MrMazda92
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Re: Fuel Economy on Stock K8

Post by MrMazda92 »

_-Night-Shade-_ wrote:Lol no man, here's how you do it: let's say you're in 4th doing 60km/h (about 2.5k) and you want to downshift to 3rd, which would be around 3k or slightly above. If you just clutch in and downshift and clutch out, when the clutch engages the car will jerk because the engine will be sped up to match the speed of the tranny. Rev-matching (giving it some gas with the clutch in to get the RPMs up to what they would be in the lower gear) will get rid of the jerk when the clutch engages but the synchros will still be doing their work. So to properly double clutch here's what you do:
Clutch in --> shift from 4th to neutral --> clutch out --> rev up to what the RPMs would be in 3rd --> clutch in --> shift from neutral into third (should go in like butter if you did it right) --> clutch out --> you're done.
This is all done very quickly and should take half a second, you can YouTube it - there are some nice videos of pro drivers doing it while racing and you can see how quickly they do it.
I started doing it every downshift to get used to the motion again, and it's automatic for me now. I downshift just as smooth(if not smoother) than shifting up... Also, I can downshift into 1st now :P

Do our trannys not have syncros on 1st? or did I just get 2 crappy trannys in a row? :/

Either way, I can do it now. :)
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Deleted: VAF/Power Steering/Air Conditioning/EGR/ABS/Auto Seatbelts/etc
mikeinaus

Post by mikeinaus »

i think its normal. my car wont shift into first unless im going extremely slow. i have to try this when i get my car insured, sounds like fun :)
EggyRollz
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by EggyRollz »

Mine is getting like 15 mpg and I can't figure out what the hell is wrong with it :/
94 Tahoe Sport SS - 454 =)
93 3KGT VR4 - K&N Filter.Proxes 4 Tires. Drilled/Slotted Rotors.
97 Tahoe - Grill gaurd.Oversized Tires.Custom liners.Bored & matched pistons.E-cam.Leather.Remote start.TCC upgrade.+Sunshell.10K tow package.Knifed TB.Flowtech Huggers.Straight pipes.Hypertech chip.B&M Trans Controller, Front diff & T-case plates.
Feedback-viewtopic.php?f=37&t=74259
For Sale-viewtopic.php?f=2&t=74832
EggyRollz

Post by EggyRollz »

Mine is getting like 15 mpg and I can't figure out what the hell is wrong with it :/
97 Tahoe - Grill gaurd.Oversized Tires.Custom liners.Bored & matched pistons.E-cam.Leather.Remote start.TCC upgrade.+Sunshell.10K tow package.Knifed TB.Flowtech Huggers.Straight pipes.Hypertech chip.B&M Trans Controller, Front diff & T-case plates.
_-Night-Shade-_

Post by _-Night-Shade-_ »

@ MrMazda92 - Yeah good stuff man, it's become automatic for me as well. Downshifts are smooth as butter. I think there is some sort of safety implemented on the 1st gear to prevent from shifting unless going very slow (just like the safety on reverse), you can bypass this by double clutching.
--------------------------------------------
[WORKLOG] [FOR SALE] [Wishlist] [Feedback]
mikeinaus

Post by mikeinaus »

do a tune up. i was getting about 250km a tank and changing my plug wires almost doubled it. now i get 350-400km of city driving and highway i can get 450-500km
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

_-Night-Shade-_ wrote:@ MrMazda92 - Yeah good stuff man, it's become automatic for me as well. Downshifts are smooth as butter. I think there is some sort of safety implemented on the 1st gear to prevent from shifting unless going very slow (just like the safety on reverse), you can bypass this by double clutching.
I love it, It makes shifting smoother than driving an auto-trans like a grandma!
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
EggyRollz

Post by EggyRollz »

mikeinaus wrote:
do a tune up. i was getting about 250km a tank and changing my plug wires almost doubled it. now i get 350-400km of city driving and highway i can get 450-500km

I've done a full tune up. New plugs , wires , Disty cap , rotor , oil filter , oil , seafoamed 2 tanks , coolant flushed , tranny flush & new filter , new air filter , new battery & connectors , fuel filter.
mikeinaus

Post by mikeinaus »

test your o2 sensors, check your wheel bearings, make sure your ebrake isnt dragging your rear brakes, tire pressure, alignment. other then that im not too sure.

did you seafoam your intake/oil or just the gas tank? not that itd make a huge difference but going threw gas its pretty much only going to clean the injectors.
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

Wrong ECU?
Plugs too hot/cold?
Compression problems?
Misfiring?
There are more too, its hard to judge without too much more info.

It seems like you know what it ISN'T so far, just keep going down the list and you'll find it.
Daily:

Kid Hauler:

First Love:
OutlaW

Post by OutlaW »

slayer322 wrote:I was lucky to get 450Km to a full tank lol, shifting at no more then 3k and rev-matching all the time
Man, my car has some Ebay bolt on's ... no cat, no final exhaust, iridium sparks, and i could get 520 kms with a full tank ... the car recently had the valve cover gaskets changed and the wheel bearings... now i bet i can do more kms with one tank ... ur car must have some problems

ps , ohh i forgot , and 17 inch wheels ...
K8 :: 136.8 bhp---160 nm---108.0 whp---118lbs/torque
ET: 15.567 @ 136 kmh (84 mph)
"Racing a Honda is like being in the special Olympics, you may win, but in the end your still retarded."
edger0587

Post by edger0587 »

davmac wrote:Your gas mileage is quite good. Compare to the current EPA estimates of 20 - 26. I don't have any hypermiler suggestions - mainly because I'm too lazy to shut down / restart, draft everywhere, drive no faster than 55, etc. Still my klde delivers 27 - 28 mpg combined city / hwy. I wouldn't mind better. Does driving 55 mph really deliver 35 mpg? That might almost be worth it ...

Yeah, for me it did. I was actually reading an article that said that 55mph was the most efficient speed for the highest mpg, but that if it went to legislation people would probably freak because they are used to the higher speeds. Time is money, so people like driving faster, but if that also affects the amount of cash you spend on fuel (and increasing tear and wear on the car), then why do it? lol
Elegant Beige 1992 Mazda MX-3 GS. CAI, Short throw shifter, 16" miata rims
1992 Mazda miata. Classic red, stock everything
RIP 1994 Mazda mx-3 RS

"Cats make terrible doctors"
edger0587

Post by edger0587 »

Sleeper6 wrote:honestly the biggest issue Ive had with fuel economy is getting Non ethanol fuel. When i can find it (kwik fil is the only place around here) i can pull 34-35mpg however when I have to run that 10%ethanol garbage it plummets to 28mpg :evil:
That might also be why i got such great mileage in oregon. I think they use a lower ethanol %.
Elegant Beige 1992 Mazda MX-3 GS. CAI, Short throw shifter, 16" miata rims
1992 Mazda miata. Classic red, stock everything
RIP 1994 Mazda mx-3 RS

"Cats make terrible doctors"

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”