idol problems

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Hobbyist93
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

idol problems

Post by Hobbyist93 »

Alright so i just got my mazda and it drives great i put all newspark plugs in it all new fluids and all that and put additives in it to clean out the injectors but for some reason i still can't seem to get the idol to slow down to around 600 rpm's or at that matter i can't get the car to idol... :( it just rev's up to around 1500 rpm's and then will sparatically drop to around 400 rpm's any ideas? I have only had the car for 3 weeks but i don't think the other guy touched the throttle body. any ideas or tips would be awesome.
Last edited by Hobbyist93 on June 29th, 2010, 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MrMazda92
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Re: idol problems at high speeds...

Post by MrMazda92 »

Hello, and Welcome.

Typically, you will find an answer that meets your needs quite faster if you use the search feature. It is among the top navigation links on the forums.

I did a brief search for you, as I remembered seeing something on this topic just yesterday.

This link has a few causes for high/bouncing idle: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=74551&p=556240&hil ... le#p556240

Remember, searching will get you the fastest reponses! Chances are, someone else has already asked the same questions!

Good luck, I hope you figure out the idle speed issue!

~MM92
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Deleted: VAF/Power Steering/Air Conditioning/EGR/ABS/Auto Seatbelts/etc
davmac

Re: idol problems

Post by davmac »

Search erratic or surging idle and you'll find lots. Main sources:
- Coolant coolant level. If low then coolant temp sensor could be sending bad signal and cause erratic idle.
- Bad coolant temp sensor
Definitely adjust the TPS per the service manual procedure. TPS Adjustment: The procedure is found in the service manual starting at this page.
Proud owner of a Faded Red 92 MX-3 GS
Hobbyist93

Post by Hobbyist93 »

alright i will check those wear is the coolant temp sensor and do you think it might be the O2 sensors.
iso221

Post by iso221 »

try turnin you climate control slider to 0 and turnin the a/c option off if you have it
Hobbyist93

Post by Hobbyist93 »

that didn't necessarily help with the erratic idol but it did cause my neutral rpm's to slow down. I also noticed that the idol problem is only when i am in gear i checked all five and if i am stopped with the clutch engaged and shift into any gear with the clutch still engaged it fluctuates but in neutral with the clutch engaged or not engaged it quits idoling so erratically but still stays around 1200 rpm's
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

Hobbyist93 wrote:that didn't necessarily help with the erratic idol but it did cause my neutral rpm's to slow down. I also noticed that the idol problem is only when i am in gear i checked all five and if i am stopped with the clutch engaged and shift into any gear with the clutch still engaged it fluctuates but in neutral with the clutch engaged or not engaged it quits idoling so erratically but still stays around 1200 rpm's

Do you mean the car will accelerate and decelerate randomly when you have it in gear and no pressure on the gas?

Most manuals tend to do that if you have the car in gear and don't have it at cruising RPM(I'd say 1,500 MINIMUM in these cars!) Mine likes it at about 1,800 minimum to drive smoothly.

If this is what you meant, I recommend you shift into second pretty quickly when driving around town(10 mph ish depending on acceleration), and then shift at 2k RPMs from there on out.
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Hobbyist93

Post by Hobbyist93 »

so is what you mean is that when i am sitting at a light i should just press the gas a little bit while sitting there or.... i just want my car to idol lol :(
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

Hobbyist93 wrote:so is what you mean is that when i am sitting at a light i should just press the gas a little bit while sitting there or.... i just want my car to idol lol :(
I was mistaken. I thought you meant if you were in gear, driving at idle RPM range.

It fluctuates while in gear, with the clutch in at a light?

Have you tried increasing your resting idle to about 800-1,000 RPMs?

I did this about a month ago, and have had a much smoother idle ever since.

Good luck!
Daily:

Kid Hauler:

First Love:
Hobbyist93

Post by Hobbyist93 »

how did you adjust your idol
mazdags94

Post by mazdags94 »

please say "idle" it hurts my eyes to see it spelled wrong ;)
'94 MX3 GS (black)-- 2.5L DE w/ straight neck IM, SSAC Headers, KYB-GR2's, Intrax Springs, CM Stage I clutch, OBX STS, filled front & rear mounts, CAI- SOLD :(
Buyer Feedback: viewtopic.php?f=37&t=62426" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
viewtopic.php?f=37&t=69003" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Amatuers practice until they can get it right; professionals practice until they can't get it wrong"

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”