need some help.. (misc)

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
mx3_aruba

need some help.. (misc)

Post by mx3_aruba »

hi all,

since last year i've been having lots of problems with my K8. it's been missing a cylinder (only fired 5 cyl) and wasn't reving up to redline. i thought it was injectors, got them cleaned, SOS. then i borrowed the chilton's repair book for mx3/mx6, and i found out that i had almost all my vacuum lines wrong (before i used the DE vacuum diagram).

since then all 6 cylinders fired ok, BUT i still had problems with backfiring. when shifting, between shifts, if backfires, or when i lift from throttle it also backfires. i also have some problems when i lift the throttle than give it throttle again, it backfires like hell. and my throttle response is not 100%.

my concern is, what can be causing these backfires, and the weak throttle response?.. O2 sensor?.. TPS?

i have another concern. a coule of months ago i blew my tranny, and i found a probe GT. so i bought the complete engine bay for about US$1500, for now i only used the tranny on my K8 and it is working fine. i'm going to swap the K8 for the DE some day.

the concern i have is, do i have to use the DE intake manifold, or can i still use the K8 intake manifold. seeing that the DE manifold has more sensors, and more vacuum lines, and uses MAF instead of VAF. what would i have to change if a use the DE manifold?

the backfiring and throttle response are my main concerns right now.

i thank all those who took the time to read my pain. hoping to get tons of replies and hopi to figure everything out.
mikeinaus
antispam: No

Re: need some help.. (misc)

Post by mikeinaus »

are you getting any cel codes? theres a guide on how to check them you can find threw the search.

$1500 is steep for a de and tranny... you could have gotten a klze and tranny for less then that.

intake manifolds are interchangeable however youd be better off with the de... youd also want to use the maf rom the kl-de and the ecu from the de aswell. im pretty sure all the other sensors are the same...

id suggest giving the car a tune up.change your plugs/wires, seafoam the engine, clean your throttlebody. check for exhaust leaks. most major problems should be reported by cel codes so i wouldnt go around replacing 02 sensors and stuff like that unless you know there bad.

hows your idle? is it steady or bouncy? on the high side? check for vacuum leaks. if you have a stock intake your accordian tube could be cracked.

other then those things im not too sue. my car used to back fire when i would shift from high revs but that went away when i replaced my exhaust.
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

Intake manifolds are not interchangeable. VRIS points are different and plenum volumes are different. The K8 manifold will fit on the K8 but will not run properly.

I'm guessing by the name that you are not located in North America...hence why the Probe GT was so expensive. Yes?

The DE will go into your MX-3 but you will need the MAF and ECU as stated. I believe there are a few other differences but some digging here and on Probetalk will get you the information you need.

AS for your K8 backfiring...that could be a fueling problem...like way too much fuel. It could also be a timing issue so yes, get a tune up. Check the engine codes. Set the TPS, adjust the idle then set the timing. The manual explains all that quite clearly as do the V6 FAQ's. If it persists check your fuel pressure. If you still have codes let us know and we can give you some more advice.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
mx3_aruba

Post by mx3_aruba »

wytbishop wrote:I'm guessing by the name that you are not located in North America...hence why the Probe GT was so expensive. Yes?
exactly. i live in the carribean, so everything has to be imported. so if you could imagine paying a large S&H price (+/- US$300 to Miami my forwarding adress, and than US$500 to Aruba), and we pay 22% (on the sum price) import tax for car/engine parts. the car i bought was a complete running probe GT, but i NEEDED the tranny, and the engine was just "a side order". i had no other choice to buy it for 2500 arubian florins, that's US$1428.57. if i ordered a ZE streight out of japan i would pay US$2000+ for engine and tranny. so i had no other choice.

as for engine codes, i think i'm the only one on the island (population of 120k) that is messing with a k-series mazda, so pulling out codes i don't see happening. i don't have the "code-puller-outer". :roll: :lol:
i'm guessing that the problem could be poor fuel pressure. i'm going to have that checked. i'm also going to take off the gas tank to inspect the pumpscreen, and if needed, change the fuel pump.

i don't think it's vacuum leak, because all vacuum lines are new, and all nipples where ok, no crack.

thanks for taking time to answer. hope to get more suggestions, maybe from someone who had the same problem i'm having.
mikeinaus

Post by mikeinaus »

you dont need a code puller to check codes. if you search mx3 cel codes in google it will to you how to check them and bring up a list of what all the codes are for. theres a little box near your battery that says diagnostic on the top. open it then stick a piece of metal between "TEn"(test engine) and ground then go and turn your ignition to on (dont start the car). your check engine light will start flashing if you have any codes. long flashes are counted as x10 ie 3 flashes = 30, then it will have quick flashes representing x1. so 3 long then 3 quick equals code 33.

you also dont need to drop the fuel tank to inspect the pump or the screen. if you remove the rear seat there is a metal plate you can take off that will give you access to the fuel pump. undo the gas cap, start your car and unplug the fuel pump and let the car die. then disconnect the fuel lines or youll have gas spray all over your interior.
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Back firing under decelleration can be burnt/bad valves.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
mx3_aruba

Post by mx3_aruba »

tnx ausie mike, you're very helpfull.
mx3_aruba

Post by mx3_aruba »

ok, so i went and did the code pulling thing..

at first, it only gave me code 67, which is something about fan motor relay, but ia have my fan motors connected thru a relay to the bat.

today a decided to check again, and at first it gave me code 25, which is fuel pressure regulator control solenoid. i've browsed around and googled a bit, and i've read that the selenoid isn't really that important.

could that be my problem than the engine does not rev smoothly when at WOT (wide open throttle) ?

diagnostics doesn't give me any other codes than those two.

btw is the control solenoid the same as the regulator self?

i think i'm mixing two things up.
mikeinaus

Post by mikeinaus »

the fuel pressure regulator is the thing that looks like a bell/hat on the drivers side of the injectors. its has a vacuum line that connects to it with a black solenoid (looks kind of like a black tube with 2 nipples and a cap on one end) that connects to a vacuum and has a plug with wires coming off of it. i get code 25 occasionally and i havnt had any problems like your described.

what are your compression numbers? id give the car a tune up, oil/filter, air filter, plugs/plug wires and seafoam the motor and if it doesnt fix it id just throw in the klde. dont put too much effort into the k8 when you already have a good de waiting to be thrown in.
mx3_aruba

Post by mx3_aruba »

tnx mike... i had the FPR solenoid unplugged (what an arse), and bypassed. that's why it gave me that code today, and not last week. i plugged it, not getting that code anymore.

i checked codes again and i got code 10 this time. Intake air temperature sensor (IAT). i resettededededed the ECU, and now i only get code 67.

i did some reading on the code 10, and it does say something about amount of fuel with certain amount of air, and also something about timing. which most likely could be my problem. it's not bias, just an option. because in 1st or 2nd gear, i give it gas (1/4 way) it goes smoothly. but when i go from 1/4 throttle to full throttle, it sputters/spits till 7k rpm.

i recordededed it, so now you can hear it for yourselves. here's the link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0i_XIurOzs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

btw, i wanna rebuild the DE before dropping it in. and those parts are a bit expensive if i order them. don't even bother asking for the price at local parts store here. and i'm kinda short on money now, so i would have to make do with what i have. is that how you say it?
_-Night-Shade-_

Post by _-Night-Shade-_ »

mx3_aruba wrote:i resettededededed the ECU
You stutter in writing or something?
--------------------------------------------
[WORKLOG] [FOR SALE] [Wishlist] [Feedback]
mx3_aruba

Post by mx3_aruba »

_-Night-Shade-_ wrote:
mx3_aruba wrote:i resettededededed the ECU
You stutter in writing or something?
are you stupid in replying or something?
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

So you avoided my suggestion. Have you checked your valves? Why ask for help if you don't really want it. (Your motors fu*king perfect, change the air freshener). Is that what you want to hear? Either answer our suggestions or you can ki** my a**. People like your pi** my off. Aruba,,,who the fu*k lives in Aruba anyway, we vacation there.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
mx3_aruba

Post by mx3_aruba »

Daninski wrote:So you avoided my suggestion. Have you checked your valves? Why ask for help if you don't really want it. (Your motors fu*king perfect, change the air freshener). Is that what you want to hear? Either answer our suggestions or you can ki** my a**. People like your pi** my off. Aruba,,,who the fu*k lives in Aruba anyway, we vacation there.
i don't own a garage supplied with all kinds of tools and machines, so it takes time to check certain suggestions.
checking valves isn't as easy as pulling codes and maybe replacing a part that you maybe have somewhere, or just checking voltages/grounds, cleaning harness plug or sensor.. you follow me?..

getting stupid unrelevant replies just to sound funny, THAT PISSES ME OFF!!!!!

and btw, I LIVE IN ARUBA, so people like you can come down here for vacation, get drunk, lay on the beach, take some pictures, brag about it, and still talk crap about my island.

i put the information about the problems i'm having, to make things clearer. maybe another member had the same issue or experienced the same thing, you never know.
_-Night-Shade-_

Post by _-Night-Shade-_ »

Hey buddy, no one wants people like you on this forum so either change your attutide or f*ck off!
--------------------------------------------
[WORKLOG] [FOR SALE] [Wishlist] [Feedback]

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”