323 GTX

Other - General Mazda Discussions
wytbishop

323 GTX

Post by wytbishop »

OK so this sort of fell in my lap last night and I need some help from the 4cylinder guys with more experience in these matters than myself.

I have the opportunity to acquire a complete engine and transmission from an 88' USDM GTX for a very good price. The issue is that although the machine work is all done and the engine is in very good condition, it is not assembled and I would have to spend a bit more money to finish the job.

I just need to know what the engine is really worth before I decide if I want it or not. I see that websites are listing GTX engines for $1700 - 1800 with unknown Km's. What's the value of a professionally assembled rebuilt 88 GTX with manifolds and stock turbo?
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
RS_OBD'oh_2

Re: 323 GTX

Post by RS_OBD'oh_2 »

I'd Talk to Mi|<e... He's the master of the 4 cyls.
nos92mx3
Supporting Member

Post by nos92mx3 »

USDM gtx's are b6t's(1.6) not bpt's(1.8 ) . Exhaust manifolds/intake manifolds will NOT interchange
Kind of a harder sell with the b6t, though they are just as stout as the bp.
92' Rs-t b6t/De - RIP

93' Rs-t BPT - Sold

03' WRB wrx Wagon - Current
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

Yeah, it's a complete engine though turbo and all...and will drop right into any 323 afaik. I don't have an ECU and wire harness for it though...so I thought that might be the stumbling block.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
My Worklog
My feedback thread
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

wytbishop wrote:Yeah, it's a complete engine though turbo and all...and will drop right into any 323 afaik. I don't have an ECU and wire harness for it though...so I thought that might be the stumbling block.
There is a complete B6T at the wreckers in west kelowna sitting there with tranny and all that in the car. I was tempted to take it but then I had second thoughts haha. I know a guy who had one ina blue 323 and turned the boost up abit and whatnot, it flew!
nos92mx3
Supporting Member

Post by nos92mx3 »

wytbishop wrote:Yeah, it's a complete engine though turbo and all...and will drop right into any 323 afaik. I don't have an ECU and wire harness for it though...so I thought that might be the stumbling block.
You can Ditch the b6t electronics run a bp wiring harness and electronics (with few mods) and a bp26 ecu :D :D :D
92' Rs-t b6t/De - RIP

93' Rs-t BPT - Sold

03' WRB wrx Wagon - Current
Mi|<E

Post by Mi|<E »

'Value' is a funny word when it comes to our Mazdas. If the block has been
to a machine shop assume its been overbored honed and checked out ~500ish

If the head had been rebuild there is another 4-500 ish depending on parts new or
reusing the old.

~100 for the flywheel resurface

~250 for a gasket set

~500-2000 for parts whether forged or cast was used, forged is money.

Id take a rebuilt b6t over an unknown gtx/r engine any day

cost to rebuild any engine including engine price is usually ~4000ish
again depending on the parts used. A little less for cast, lots more for
forged.

Get a better idea of whats been done, even if its just a basic rebuild you
would be getting a deal in and around 2500, which includes engine cost.
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

The point is that I want to re-assemble it and sell it. I have no use for it, but I know it has value.

I know it has not been overbored and all the parts are original and (although I will need to confirm myself) in excellent condition. The crank mains and camshaft mains will need to be polished and it will need new rings, bearnings and a complete gasket set, but once it is assembled if I can get $2500 for it I would definitely go ahead.

The question is will I be able to find a buyer. I appreciate your help Mike...I have really lost touch with the 4 cylinder world.
My Worklog
My feedback thread

Return to “General Mazda”