Dogbox G25M

A forum for discussions regarding the MX-3' transmission. Swap, technical, and troubleshooting info should be placed here.
Sp3c5

Dogbox G25M

Post by Sp3c5 »

Anybody ever bought the dogbox transmission for the G25M? Just curious. Can't find any videos. Would like to know how it sounds.
marcdh

Re: Dogbox G25M

Post by marcdh »

only one I've known of is Dan[sac] for his probe drag car. Last I read he was having trouble with the primary and secondary bearings, they come so close it looked like 1mm of metal left between them! Never heard the outcome though.

On a slight tangent, I'd recommend looking at the toyota e153 box as shown on clubprotege if you're 4 cyclinder. Otherwise be nice to them. Try the hppwdn setup of act 6 puck and stock pressure plate along with poly mounts all round. I've also noticed since the MFactory LSD went in I haven't wheel hopped once. klzeporsche was talking about using the saab f40 gearbox with the KL, haven't heard any updates. Finally only other gearbox on a KL I know of is the mx5/miata RWD box, but that'd require a whole rwd setup.
AZ-3 1498cc Turbo! EVO 8 turbo and manifold, 5 stud swap, SSR Type C, DIYPNP seq Megasquirt
Mx-3 2.5 V6 Turbo 291 BHP 251 lbft @ 8psi - Retired due to rust and back at uni
View Worklog
onlytrueromeo

Re: Dogbox G25M

Post by onlytrueromeo »

Unless you have a lot of fabrication skills, or a lot of money, I would stick with the G-series gearbox. Replace the known weak links such as the differential (get the m-factory), the 3rd gear (get the gtr 3rd gear, or a custom made one) and rebuild the box with new syncros and bearings. Then run a good synthetic fluid, and unless you're constantly dragging the car or pushing more than 300whp you should have no problems. There are many people with 300+whp in the probe that have not killed their trannys, and we have a superior tranny case/mount design.

You can also get parts cryo-treated and shot peened, though I don't know how much it will really help.

Return to “Transmissions”