'93 GS code reader

A section dedicated to Engine Mangement Systems & Engine Tuning. Megasquirt, SMS, Haltek, ect.
cout
antispam: No

'93 GS code reader

Post by cout »

I'm looking for a way to read diagnostic codes on my '93 GS. Local parts stores like Advance Auto will read codes for free, but their readers are typically OBD2-only.

1. Am I correct in believing that this is an OBD1 interface?

2. Is the interface on this vehicle capable of emitting real-time diagnostics (e.g. O2 readouts, etc.)?

3. Is there a recommended code reader that will also work with newer OBD2 vehicles?
1993 MX3 KLDE (formerly KLZE) 5spd LeMons car
KLZE 24 Hours of Lemons worklog
umcamara
Supporting Member

Re: '93 GS code reader

Post by umcamara »

1. Yes

2. No

3. No

All you need is a paperclip. Use the search function on the forums, and look for "cel", or "reading codes", or something to that effect. If you're extra nice, I'm sure someone will give in and tell you the procedure.

Curtis
'96 Silver Stone Metallic MTX RS
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread
cout

Post by cout »

Thanks; I know about the paperclip method (I needed to use diagnostic mode to set the timing). I was hoping for something faster/less error prone, since counting a flashing light is easy to get wrong when under pressure to fix an engine problem.

I understand the connector is mazda-specific; is it not possible to build an adapter to work with existing [cheap] hardware?
1993 MX3 KLDE (formerly KLZE) 5spd LeMons car
KLZE 24 Hours of Lemons worklog
mazda915

Post by mazda915 »

the connector for the ob2 to a ob1 for the mazda is a mazda 01 connector now thats only for a snap on scanner so if u can get ur hands on that, thats the connecter u need for the scan tool .
1992 gs k8ze . 4 inch tip 2.5 cat , cold air intake ,corksport front and rear stut bars home made upper pillar bar , prosport gauges,megan racing 4 pts harnest, 10,000 K HID's , ksport suspension ,

Return to “Engine Electronics/Tuning”