Harder to shift after driving for a while.

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
Letters11
antispam: No

Harder to shift after driving for a while.

Post by Letters11 »

Hello all. I commute to school about 40 miles each way, 2 days a week. When first starting off my car shifts fine but once i get about 25-30 miles in, the shifting becomes a little more difficult, but not to the point where I struggle to shift gears. The shifter doesnt heat up or anything and no grinds or slips. I have no idea what this could be but I dont think this is normal. Are there any fluids i should be changing on a manual car?? Any other sugestions? Also when i shift, sometimes it makes a sort of clanking noise when going into the next gear, kind of hard to explain. Clutch seems fine as well. Anyway, please help!! I was going to take it to a transmission shop to see what they say (pretty trustworthy).
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: Harder to shift after driving for a while.

Post by Ryan »

Just change the fluid yourself. Likely needs done anyway. Should be a <$50 job.

There is a big nut on the bottom of the transmission. 17? 19? 21? I don't remember, but its pretty obvious.

And you fill it up via the speedometer cable hole. You need to remove your intake and battery to get to it easily.

It fills right to the bottom of that hole, the exact amount is in the manuals, but I think its around 4L

so, you need a jack or some sort, a bucket, a wrench, the fluid, and a funnel with a long neck. Or a normal funnel with a hose on it.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

I have no speedo hole but there is a nut on the front side of the trans for filling. The Royal Purple from the Dealership comes in easy to use containers. I think I bought 3 bottles.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
Letters11

Post by Letters11 »

Ryan wrote:Just change the fluid yourself. Likely needs done anyway. Should be a <$50 job.

There is a big nut on the bottom of the transmission. 17? 19? 21? I don't remember, but its pretty obvious.

And you fill it up via the speedometer cable hole. You need to remove your intake and battery to get to it easily.

It fills right to the bottom of that hole, the exact amount is in the manuals, but I think its around 4L

so, you need a jack or some sort, a bucket, a wrench, the fluid, and a funnel with a long neck. Or a normal funnel with a hose on it.
ok great. I didnt even think to look in the manual. Are there steps to follow in the manual? I dont have it here or else i would look :o Thanks so much!
Letters11

Post by Letters11 »

Im seeing some info on changing a filter for the transmission? And also a pan gasket. Should I change these as well? Thanks
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

Only 4cyl trannys are filled through the speedo drive. And the G tranny uses 2.9L of oil. The manual gearbox does not have a pan gasket as there is no pan...and it doesn't have a filter either...those are automatic things.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Letters11

Post by Letters11 »

Yes I just did a simple search and found out that there is no filter, dumb on my part. Thanks. I spoke to someone and they said to use a GL4 fluid because of the brass synchros and to use Redline MT90. Does this make sense? Anyone also use this? Thanks again
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

I use Castrol full synthetic 75W90. Any good quality gear oil will be just fine.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
mitmaks

Post by mitmaks »

wytbishop wrote:I use Castrol full synthetic 75W90. Any good quality gear oil will be just fine.
I just serviced mine with Valvoline synthetic 75w90. Used 3qts to fill it up.
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
_-Night-Shade-_

Post by _-Night-Shade-_ »

Both plugs are 23mm
--------------------------------------------
[WORKLOG] [FOR SALE] [Wishlist] [Feedback]
PATDIESEL

Post by PATDIESEL »

Dang guys- we have been over this 100 times and still so many crappy and wrong repsonses...
http://www.mx-3.com/manuals/showimg.php ... J2-007.gif" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Here is a link to the G25MR page in the manual about replacing the fuild. You drain it from the large plug on the bottom of the trans. You fill it from the speedo gear or the side plug, but I find it easier to fill from the speedo hole with a long funnel. You open the side plug and when fluid starts to drain from that hole it is full... Easy, quick and very different from alot of the repsonses here.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

This makes 101 times. lol

now that we're into it so to speak. I sold a toyota 4X4 once where getting into first gear when cold was slmost impossible. The guy who bought it drained the fluid out for a lighter grade and told me after it shifted great that 70-90 wieght is too thick. Anyone care to respond to the this?
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
_-Night-Shade-_

Post by _-Night-Shade-_ »

Daninski wrote:This makes 101 times. lol

now that we're into it so to speak. I sold a toyota 4X4 once where getting into first gear when cold was slmost impossible. The guy who bought it drained the fluid out for a lighter grade and told me after it shifted great that 70-90 wieght is too thick. Anyone care to respond to the this?
No. He probably doesn't know what he's talking about.
--------------------------------------------
[WORKLOG] [FOR SALE] [Wishlist] [Feedback]
umcamara
Supporting Member

Post by umcamara »

PATDIESEL wrote:Dang guys- we have been over this 100 times and still so many crappy and wrong repsonses...
http://www.mx-3.com/manuals/showimg.php ... J2-007.gif" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Here is a link to the G25MR page in the manual about replacing the fuild. You drain it from the large plug on the bottom of the trans. You fill it from the speedo gear or the side plug, but I find it easier to fill from the speedo hole with a long funnel. You open the side plug and when fluid starts to drain from that hole it is full... Easy, quick and very different from alot of the repsonses here.
Maybe I missed something here, but I fail to realize how this response is so very different from the others that were given. I wasn't involved in the responses, but please enlighten me...

Unless it's some inside joke that I'm missing...
'96 Silver Stone Metallic MTX RS
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

I kinda agree with Curtis. I've done my own transmission fluid before, I'm quite sure I did it right... but indeed it was on a 4 banger.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”