It's amazing what you can find in a parking garage

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
Mad Cow

It's amazing what you can find in a parking garage

Post by Mad Cow »

Me and a friend were hired to power wash the parking garage at a condo downtown where that friend's dad works at, and in the midst of all the shiny new cars was a lonely champagne coloured mx-3 covered in dust with 4 completely deflated tires. We came closer to it and the first thing I noticed was the rare raised RS spoiler, then the sticker on the license plate which expired in November of 2000. We decided to wash it just for the hell of it and that's when I noticed the headlights and paint are immaculate, I've never seen clearer headlights in a car that isn't brand new. Then I saw the single outlet muffler and drum brakes in the back. :( I took a peek inside to look at the odometer and didn't believe my eyes, it said 64k kilometres. Sadly it was an automatic too. It had a beige pre-facelift interior which actually looked pretty cool, and that was mint too. Then I noticed the door were unlocked, so we opened them and popped the hood, the only thing not perfect about the engine bay was the dust covering everything, it was just so damn clean. When I closed the door it made the most amazing thud, the exact sound I would expect from a new car, no rattles or any unexpected noise. So we talked to my friend's dad and he told us he knows the owner and that she was looking to get rid of it since it's been sitting for at least 9 years judging by the plate sticker. Now me and my friend are debating if it would be worth it to get the car, refresh it and sell it. I know we would need to change all the fluids and replace the tires at least, what else would it need? How much might it sell for? I would take it and drive it if I didn't have a car currently, and I don't need a second car, so that's why we're thinking of selling it.
KLZE-ed '94 RS/'92 GS hybrid -- It's complicated :lol: -- Now somebody's winter beater
1999 Audi A4 2.8Q -- New ride
tmac4t4

Re: It's amazing what you can find in a parking garage

Post by tmac4t4 »

whether or not its worth buying and selling all depends how much the lady wants for it really...ive never in my life seen an mx3 with that low of km's, lowest ive seen is around 130k and it was selling for over 3 grand..it was also a 4 banger automatic and that was at a dealership here in town
ImageImageImageImage
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

That's almost brand new! I bet you could buy it for much less than you could sell it for!
If nothing else, get pictures for us :wink:
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
Mad Cow

Post by Mad Cow »

Since the car's been sitting so damn long we're thinking we could convince her to just take it away, but if not we're not willing to pay much because I just don't think there's much of a market for a car like this.

I'll get some pictures tomorrow if I don't forget, the only think wrong with it is there's a big scrape on the passenger side quarter panel, but I think it should be pretty easy to beat out from the inside and paint.
KLZE-ed '94 RS/'92 GS hybrid -- It's complicated :lol: -- Now somebody's winter beater
RS_OBD'oh_2

Post by RS_OBD'oh_2 »

IIRC, my mx had 54K on the OD. Back in 2001 I think the used sticker price was 13000 CND. I hope she has no idea what she has.
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Ryan »

I would want it if it wasn't beige.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
_-Night-Shade-_

Post by _-Night-Shade-_ »

Oh man if it's been sitting for so long then probably just about everything will need to be changed. You'll prolly cause some damage when you start it too.
--------------------------------------------
[WORKLOG] [FOR SALE] [Wishlist] [Feedback]
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

If you do get it, research (if you don't already know) what to do before starting it. If you do it right there will be no damage, and it will probably fire right up.
If I found that, and could afford it, I would sell someting so that I could make it my DD. Just a manual conversion, and some tweaking, and I'd have a nice 50mpg car :)
I think that you could get a good price from someone who wants a nice, unique ATX DD.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
Mad Cow

Post by Mad Cow »

I'm thinking of changing the oil with something really cheap before starting, then running seafoam through it after a bit, no way am I starting it without changing at least the oil and tranny fluid. Which brings me to a problem, this garage has an incredibly steep ramp to get up to it, and the car's on the 3rd floor so I really doubt a town truck will be able to pick it up. So then I would have to change the oil, tires and tranny fluid just to get it out of the garage, right?
onlytrueromeo

Post by onlytrueromeo »

Buy it for cheap, strip it apart and sell the mint parts, then drop a turbo-BP in w/ a black interior and have the cleanest MX3 ever.
Mad Cow

Post by Mad Cow »

onlytrueromeo wrote:Buy it for cheap, strip it apart and sell the mint parts, then drop a turbo-BP in w/ a black interior and have the cleanest MX3 ever.
I don't need another car, plus I don't have the money for a motor and everything, so if I get it it'll be strictly to resell. And part of the amazingness of the car is the mint interior that probably doesn't have a single squeak or rattle.

BTW, sorry I didn't take pics today, we were rushing to finish a floor so we can leave early.
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

Lots of cars sit a long time and come back just fine. Just do an oil and tranny fluid change first and it’ll be fine. And don’t hammer on the throttle until the seals have had time to swell a bit again.

If I could find a car like that here I would buy it in a heartbeat.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Dark_Rider2k3

Post by Dark_Rider2k3 »

I would also check as soon as i fired it up for any leaks.
Sleeper6
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Sleeper6 »

If you get it... Dibbs on the spoiler! Ill even send you my gs one to replace it so you can resell it.
92 GS gold (driver) worklog> http://mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=73405" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
93 GS red (wrecked)
:D I modify my ride so I can drive around the stupid people :D
tripleMX-3chicMS
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Post by tripleMX-3chicMS »

WOW... another great garage find like my SE. Thats such a cool story.
Take pics for gosh sakes. Dont leave us hangin.
92 GS automatic (WHITE w/ full on Zebra interior) My Morning DD
93 GS SE 5 spd manual (RASPBERRY) My Evening DD
93 GS SE 5 spd manual (RASPBERRY) Working On (pics soon)
93*4 GS SE's for parts ONLY*
Every day is a good day to be a girl.... hehehe
my feedback: http://mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f= ... 50&start=0"

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”