Cruise control Question.

This forum is for discussion of topics relating to MX-3 lighting such as Headlights, Tail lights, Accessory Lights, Interior Lights, Etc. For example, Rear Euro Altezza Style Tail lights, Headlight units, LED's, HID's, Bulbs, Interior lights, Neons, Strobes, Auxillary Lights/Fogs or anything filament and gas discharge related.
Also anything dealing with the elctrical system.
MapaX5
antispam: No

Cruise control Question.

Post by MapaX5 »

ok, i hit the search and all i found was people complaining about their CC, so don't flag me.
i have a '92 RS with no CC.
what (if at all possible) is needed for it? other than the actuator (piece that goes in engine bay), i don't know what is all needed and where to find it in the car. i have 2 cars in the local JY, both with CC. so parts should be ok, i just don't know what to pull.
BTW, for the switches (set/cancel since i obviously don't have them on the steering wheel) i'm doing what another member here posted, and use two lil push switches off radio shack mounted on my radio/center console.
Thanks
'91 MX-5 with plenty of mods, '94 DOHC MX-3__HP Design muffler, glasspack, custom intake (superk's idea), KYB GR-2 shocks, projector headlights, GS front end, Rear Disc brake conversion, swaybar and tie bar, and lip spoiler, JDM mazdaspeed full-length side skirts,
umcamara
Supporting Member

Re: Cruise control Question.

Post by umcamara »

If you want the factory CC, you need the actuator under the hood, the module up in the passenger kick panel, the steering wheel and dash switches, accelerator pedal assembly from CC model as well as the cable from the actuator to the pedal, and the front and instrument panel wiring harnesses from a CC model Mx3.
'96 Silver Stone Metallic MTX RS
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread
MapaX5

Post by MapaX5 »

wow, you need all that? holy... i figured i'd need the mechanical and some sort of controler, but i always thought the wire harness would be the same, just nothing plugged in. it's not like mazda to make diff wire harnesses... but i guess i could be wrong...? second opinion???
'91 MX-5 with plenty of mods, '94 DOHC MX-3__HP Design muffler, glasspack, custom intake (superk's idea), KYB GR-2 shocks, projector headlights, GS front end, Rear Disc brake conversion, swaybar and tie bar, and lip spoiler, JDM mazdaspeed full-length side skirts,
umcamara
Supporting Member

Post by umcamara »

I've just finished doing this swap. Get all the opinions you want, but the wiring is not there. There are different interior harnesses for the RS and GS. Cruise control came on the GS. Check the wiring schematics in the online manual, you will see.
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread
MapaX5

Post by MapaX5 »

oh, i wasn't trying to offend you, sorry if i came out that way.
it's just that, i've been a mazda guru most of my life (owned pretty much everything: a 323, an RX-7, 2 MX-6s, a 626, now a miata and mx-3) and most of the times the harnesses are just capped or left hanging. i was hoping that would be the case here, as this is now my DD, and CC would be VERY nice to have.
well, i guess i can start pulling stuff out.
for the harnesses, did you mean the front main harness? if so, i might just leave it, i don't feel like pulling the dash. i can deal with the switches on the wheel and console (already have those) but the whole dash... is not something i wanna deal with right now.
Thanks for your input, and no hard feelings? :D
umcamara
Supporting Member

Post by umcamara »

I wasn't offended, no worries. The front harness and the instrument panel harness are both missing wires. There are about 10-15 in total missing. The dash doesn't need to come off to swap the harnesses. The instrument panel harness is very easy to remove and replace, the front harness is a little trickier, but the dash pad doesn't have to be removed. The most difficult part is pulling the harness connector through this white plastic tubing above the heater core unit.

The problem is, I haven't spent enough time comparing the harness connectors that go to the engine harness (between GS and RS). If you swap harnesses, it may affect something else, but I'm not sure. From what I can tell, the RS interior harnesses are just missing certain wires in certain pins of the harness connectors. What I did was pull the GS harnesses, and transplant the wires and terminals in the respective empty slots in my RS harness connectors. It was a b----.

You'll also need to tap into a vacuum line on your intake manifold, because there isn't a port for the CC like on the GS intake manifold (No big deal).

Any other way I can help, don't hesitate.
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread
MapaX5

Post by MapaX5 »

Can you describe the process a lil better? The dash part. I can always run the 4 wires to the cc module in the bay. But I've been workin on the interior part n can't seem to get it.
Where is the controller inside the car?
Thanks.
umcamara
Supporting Member

Post by umcamara »

I never did end up getting mine working. Spent a LOT of time on it though. It's tough because I never knew whether or not the parts worked when they were in the car I removed them from. Cruise control module bolts up high in the passenger side kick-panel.
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread
Newfie_dan

Post by Newfie_dan »

There is a procedure to test the acutator in the cruise control section umcamara if you need it. I have to troubleshoot mine as well later this year when I get some time and motivation.
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

If you get the Mazda switches you can epoxy them onto the SW cover behind and down from the ignition key hole.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Return to “Electrical & Lighting”