CEL code 3 and crank angle sensor?

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
ryant26
antispam: No

CEL code 3 and crank angle sensor?

Post by ryant26 »

I own a 1993 1.6L SOHC Automatic, and I have been looking around these forums and the internet for a solution, which has confused me further because everywhere I look has a different answer. My problem basically is that the check engine light is on. One day when I was driving the CEL just came on when I pulled out of a gas station, when I got home I did the diagnostic to see what my error code was, it turned out to be code 3.
Diagnosed circut:
G signal Crank angle sensor 1

Condition:
No. G signal input while a specified number of NE1 or NE2 signal pulses are input

Point:
-Distributor connector
-wiring from main relay to distributor
-wiring from distributor to ecu
-crank angle sensor 1

From everything I have gathered from the internet my problem resided in the "crank angle sensor" which I found to be in the distributor? Therefore I went to my nearest junkers and picked up a distributor, threw it in there and started up the car. I cleared the codes and the CEL was still on. Now usually this wouldn't really bother me as I have felt no difference in performance of the car, however I am planning to sell it soon and a light CEL does not look good to potential buyers. So all in all I would like to fix the problem but it is proving difficult since I don't really know where to look. If someone has had experience with this problem and can help me out or at least point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated.
PoisonDrop

Re: CEL code 3 and crank angle sensor?

Post by PoisonDrop »

How did you do the diagnostic? Do you have a video of the CEL blinking? Are you sure it's code 3?
93 MX-3 BP - Worklog
PoisonDrop

Post by PoisonDrop »

Also did you check the other items under "point" in your quote?

Test your dissy wiring for power and continuity...
93 MX-3 BP - Worklog
ryant26

Post by ryant26 »

I do not have video of it blinking however i do know for sure it is code 3 because i have diagnosed other problems using the CEL and I know how to read the codes properly. How would i go about testing the wiring for power and continuity? Just with a volt meter, attached to opposite ends of the wiring?
PoisonDrop

Post by PoisonDrop »

OK. On the dissy plug there should be 4 wires.

First, test for 12v on the white/red wire. That wire is connected to the main relay.

The other 3 wires run to the ECU. Test each for continuity to itself and to each other wire. Also test all 4 wires for continuity to ground. Each wire that you test should only show continuity to itself. If any wire has continuity to any other wire and/or ground, then you have a problem.

If all that checks out, then you're just left with the crank angle sensor. Not much you can do with that but replace it. :shrug:
93 MX-3 BP - Worklog
ryant26

Post by ryant26 »

Does anyone have a picture of where the main relay is located? Looking at diagrams it looks like it is under the hood, but i think i have seen some people say its under the kick panel on the passenger side?

Any insight would help thanks. :crying:
JCS

Post by JCS »

Main relay on my '93 is next to the ECU. Take the passenger side kick panel off and you should be staring at it.

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”